Help with getting clearances in remote areas

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Hello!

I'm flying a 300 mile XC Sunday, and there's no radio reception on the ground. There's no airspace nearby, so should I just file and pick it up in the air? It worked fine in Texas, but this is the NE and I'm used to Class B and Towers!

Thanks!

It works great. The only issues that I have had with it is that some times at various locations it can take about 10 minutes to get your clearance and a release. But thats not actually that much of a pain compared with the prior to cell phone days.

Ben, I have used the toll-free number at remote fields frequently - works fine.

Have you looked at at the AFD? Yes, the national CD number works, but there are various locations where there are dedicated CD numbers and remote communication frequencies for contacting ATC rather than having a clearance relayed by FSS. And even some places where you can reach the appropriate ATC facility directly (although that's not generally mentioned in the AFD - it sometimes helps to ask the locals or, if you talk to a briefer when filing the plan, ask him or her) .

My favorite variation on the theme was one in Liberal, KS where you can reach KC Center on the ground. My short void time clearance (I had already run up but would switch to CTAF for the departure) included, "contact Kansas City Center on, ... um ..., the frequency your talking to me on right now."

Thanks guys! Now, as a follow up, see my new post! Thanks!

Have you looked at at the AFD? Yes, the national CD number works, but there are various locations where there are dedicated CD numbers and remote communication frequencies for contacting ATC rather than having a clearance relayed by FSS.

This!

Maybe it's just because I'm used to Clearance Delivery at the home drome - Or maybe it's because I have had issues with LockMart getting my clearance correct, or at all. But, I *much* prefer getting my clearances directly from the ATC facility involved. Even if there isn't a GCO or an RCO, sometimes there's an RCAG or other remote ATC comm antenna. Unfortunately, there's seemingly no good way to find this out in the cockpit - I don't see it in the A/FD, but Airnav does seem to list such things - For example, see the last line of the communications section for Lone Rock.

Unfortunately, the Clearance Wiki site seems to have gone away, so it's harder to get local knowledge. :(

If it's VMC, then yes, I would just pick it up in the air. It's by far the easiest and fastest option.

Quite often, though, you can get the number to the appropriate ATC sector and they'll give you a clearance directly. This is just as fast, and has the added advantage that you can get set up on the ground rather than in the air.

(Besides, I always wonder how many people dial the wrong number and are greeted with something like "Sector A?")

If you can pick up in the air that is one way.
Just make sure that if you launch VFR to pick up airborne, you have options in case you hear one of the following:

1. N12345, Boondock Approach, you are below my radar coverage and below the MEA; you’ll have to climb VFR to [1000 above the base of the solid overcast] before I can issue a clearance.

2. N12345, Boondock Approach, unable to accept additional traffic, expect one-zero minute delay, remain clear of Class B airspace and maintain VFR.

3. N12345, Boondock Approach, radar contact, cleared to [an intersection you never heard of] via [a route you neither filed nor planned], turn left heading [directly into a maturing thunderstorm], climb and maintain [an altitude at which moderate rime/mixed ice is forecast], when receiving [a VOR station you can’t find on the L-chart] proceed direct.

Personally, I like the National IFR Clearance number mentioned above.

3. N12345, Boondock Approach, radar contact, cleared to [an intersection you never heard of] via [a route you neither filed nor planned], turn left heading [directly into a maturing thunderstorm], climb and maintain [an altitude at which moderate rime/mixed ice is forecast], when receiving [a VOR station you can’t find on the L-chart] proceed direct.

Personally, I like the National IFR Clearance number mentioned above.

Getting #3 a few times made me a 1-800-Clearance-Delivery believer. :thumbsup:

I've used the Lockheed AFSS clearance delivery number a few times now and have gotten a few different results. The first was an actual clearance but subsequent encounters involved "call the TRACON directly at ..." or "can you depart VFR?"

I agree with Kent, I would much rather call the facility directly and eliminate the middle man (FSS) if I have the number available to me. I normally do that for airports I am already familiar with and have a number for the TRACON/ARTCC or I'll try to research it ahead of time so I have the number when I'm ready to launch.

Last edited:
I've used the Lockheed AFSS clearance delivery number a few times now and have gotten a few different results. The first was an actual clearance but subsequent encounters involved "call the TRACON directly at ..." or "can you depart VFR?"

I agree with Kent, I would much rather call the facility directly and eliminate the middle man (FSS) if I have the number available to me. I normally do that for airports I am already familiar with and have a number for the TRACON/ARTCC or I'll try to research it ahead of time so I have the number when I'm ready to launch.

What really prompted me to avoid LockMart was when it took me 45 minutes to get my clearance from Robertson (MA) to Wellsboro-Johnston (PA). I called LockMart, they didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing, they put me on hold and called ATC, then came back and said I hadn't filed and how did I file... When I told them I'd filed with them, they said they didn't have any record of it, so I had to call back, file again, try to get a new clearance, and then sit on hold for an additional 20 minutes before they finally came back on with my clearance.

Then, I had a second time more recently where it took an inordinately long time sitting on hold waiting for them to get me a clearance, and the guy who gave it to me didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing or what any of it meant. I kinda gave up after that. Now, if there's no radio available on the ground and I need to pick up my clearance before takeoff, I simply ask the briefer for the number to the proper ATC facility at the end of the briefing and take care of it myself. Luckily, the times I need to do that are fairly rare.

I was as KFSO in northern Vermont where the listed RCO doesn't work so I had to call the 888-766-8267 number to get my clearance. The briefer couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. He told me to wait a minute, then he called Approach on the land line and called me back within about five minutes with my clearance and void time. Plus he told me Approach had told him to tell me to watch out for parachute jumpers at the airport. I honestly couldn't have asked for better service. I'm as suspicious of LockMart as the next guy but in this case they did a great job.

Back