Help Wanted in Port Aransas, TX

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Any of you guys retired and looking for an excuse to move to an island in the Gulf of Mexico? Got a kid you want to get rid of for the summer? :)

We are starting to gear up for the season, and are looking for a front desk clerk/assistant. Basic knowledge of aviation history and an interest in flying a must, since each of our 23 new rooms is a different era of aviation history, and our core market is fly-in pilots!

Drama queens and folks who fear flying need not apply. We have enough of own problems, we don't need yours, too! lol

If you can maintain an intelligent conversation and show a spark of enthusiasm, we will train you. Starting pay $10/hour, with regular reviews/raises. PM if you're interested.

I'd love to get rid of my kids for the summer. However, they may be a little young 9 and 10. :)

I must admit you have something great going on there. Maybe, when you're ready to retire, I can just buy the whole thing from you :)

I would need one.
There are no CFIs based on the island, because there are almost no pilots or aircraft based here. (There are just 18 privately owned hangars, with just nine aircraft in them.) It's a long, sad story, but suffice it to say that KRAS is dead to pretty much everyone except transients, although we do have a very active skydiving operation on the field every weekend.

Thankfully, my home 'drome, KTFP (McCampbell Airport, in Ingleside) is just 9 nm away, and there are several good CFIs and some rental planes based at this excellent, well-run airport.

So, short answer: CFIs are available nearby :)

Add a zero to that hourly rate and I'll not only man the front desk, but clean the rooms and do maintenance and refurbishment. Probably not in the budget, though. :D

JKG

What percentage of your guests are pilots?

I don't know if I can swing $10/hr, but if I paid you $8/hr, would you take me? :)

Nice place to spend the summer. The shuttle will take you within walking distance of just about everything.

What percentage of your guests are pilots?
Not enough. In summer, we sell out all the time, and pilots are notoriously last-minute travelers. Often by the time they call us, we are full up. :(

This is the best time of year to come to Port A, mostly because so few people do. The beach is wide open and full of shells.

Not enough. In summer, we sell out all the time, and pilots are notoriously last-minute travelers. Often by the time they call us, we are full up. :(

This is the best time of year to come to Port A, mostly because so few people do. The beach is wide open and full of shells.

I want to see scantly clad women, not shells :D

So what's your cancellation policy? If I plan a trip in advance and get stuck for weather, that'd suck :-(

So what's your cancellation policy? If I plan a trip in advance and get stuck for weather, that'd suck :-(
For all but special events, for fly in guests only we offer an IFR cancellation that allows you to cancel up to 6 PM if conditions drop below VFR minimums.

We try to grease the skids for y'all as best we can. :)

For all but special events, for fly in guests only we offer an IFR cancellation that allows you to cancel up to 6 PM if conditions drop below VFR minimums.

We try to grease the skids for y'all as best we can. :)
I like! But what if it's marginal or just below personal mins? Common sense rules apply? I wouldn't be a fan of scud running in to a unfamiliar airport and area.

Damn.... Your rich! $3000x23 rooms is $69,000 a month :)
Yeah, and that all goes into his pocket. No mortgage payments, no payroll, no taxes, no phone or electric bill, no expenses of any kind! Must be nice!
:mad2:

I like! But what if it's marginal or just below personal mins? Common sense rules apply? I wouldn't be a fan of scud running in to a unfamiliar airport and area.
Sorry, dems da rules.

Having been shafted by cancellation policies ourselves (we have flown everywhere for two decades, VFR), we tried to come up with something better for pilots. For ground pounders, our cancellation policy is 72 hours, and 7 days for special events.

Damn.... Your rich! $3000x23 rooms is $69,000 a month :)
lol

Let's talk about the six months each year we lose money by being open. Like January, for instance! ;)

Example: Right now, today, I will sell you a room for $79, and kick you your second night FREE. And you get free use of a Lexus.

In July, that same room will cost you $169/night, and I'm usually sold out.

Supply & Demand rules the island.

What's hilarious is that this is the very best time to be here -- and there's no one here! It's 72, low humidity, the beach is wide open, and there's nary a tourist to be found.

Of course, to get here by car is quite a journey. We are fully 8 hours South of Dallas by ground vehicle.

Is there Uber on the island? Or from KTFP to the island?

Sorry, dems da rules.

Having been shafted by cancellation policies ourselves (we have flown everywhere for two decades, VFR), we tried to come up with something better for pilots. For ground pounders, our cancellation policy is 72 hours, and 7 days for special events.

Fair enough! Had to ask though lol

Example: Right now, today, I will sell you a room for $79, and kick you your second night FREE. And you get free use of a Lexus.

Man oh man, why does the wife have to work this weekend? Otherwise I'd take you up on the offer.
Though who says I have to fly down there specifically with the wife? :lol:

Jay, would you consider making the same deal for weekend of 30-31 Jan?

I'm curious. Did The Classifieds section go away along with the spin zone at the first of the year?

:rolleyes2:

Back