Help Spend My Money $$$ On A New Engine Monitor

I'm looking at one relatively quicly too. The shop I'm talking to is recommending insight as a reasonable priced monitor that is not a primary replacement. Anyone have any experience with insight?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm looking at one relatively quicly too. The shop I'm talking to is recommending insight as a reasonable priced monitor that is not a primary replacement. Anyone have any experience with insight?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The Insight isn't going to be that much cheaper than a CGR-30p. Install will be similar in terms of hours (you still have to run, route and attach most/all of the same sensors), though you may save a little labor by not having to pay to remove the old gauges (I can't imagine that adds up to much, though, as I personally removed our old gauges and associated lines in about 2 hours). Ultimately, you might save $1-1.5k, which is indeed real money, but there's a lot of value in the CGR, including getting rid of the old gauges that have live fuel and oil lines running to them.

If this is installed are the legacy gauges still active or are they disconnected?

If this is installed are the legacy gauges still active or are they disconnected?

You can disconnect/remove them. Most people do. For now my gauges are still installed with the Oil temp inop. Eventaully I can pull it and my oil pressure gauges out. I can also take my old EGT gauge out and forgot to have him do that. Next annual I'll do that.

If your goal is LOP, you need to spend some money on fuel injection instead of engine monitoring.

WAIT!

I look at this frequently and I'm closer to spending $5k on fuel injection (cost, labor, and oh crap comes up to that) than I am to buying an engine monitor. I currently have a single probe CHT/EGT and it's data coupled with oil temp/pressure seem to keep things running.

The LOP proponents I read on a 'type specific' forum are fairly strong on the idea that carbs just don't get the fuel balance reliable enough. I cannot prove or disprove that. But that's the gist.

I'll be curious how the same conversation develops here.

Back