Help reporting to FAA

Or maybe go as a cowboy/spaceman/millionaire.....

th
looks like a New Mexico pilot to me. the millionaire is automatic. everyone knows all pilots are rich

Facebook came to life as a way for college and university students to connect
I was in college when Facebook's first came out.. I got it then and I'm on it now, but only as a very passive user. There was a time when it was just a fun way to connect with people and post pictures, but that was before everyone turned it into a political platform, over ran with misleading news, and filled with advertisements

We have a pretty active local pilot Facebook group that is fun to be a part of but otherwise I think it's important to have some real social interaction.. Ingrid Goes West is a pretty good dark comedy about how social media can ruin someone's life. It stars Aubrey Plaza if there are any fans of hers, fyi

I think it was Anthony Bourdain, who recently said it best when somebody asked him if he post a lot of pictures of food, because he was a food guy. And he had a pretty savage response that he doesn't post pictures of food, because food is supposed to bring people together, and when people post their stuff on social media it's just supposed to make everyone else feel bad that they're not them

study after study have shown a direct correlation between social media use and how happy or unhappy you are with your life and friends. The more you are on social media, the more unhappy you tend to be

but like someone else said above, depending on who you follow and what you tend to do on Facebook it doesn't have to be a terrible experience. I've cleaned mine up pretty well so I only see the posts I care about from friends and other local pilots

@denverpilot right??!

I think the happiness thing is also just people always comparing himself to someone else.. Facebook and social media wasn't always just selfies, and "look at how good my life is"

Oh well

@denverpilot right??!

I think the happiness thing is also just people always comparing himself to someone else.. Facebook and social media wasn't always just selfies, and "look at how good my life is"

Oh well

It’s their highlight reel ... if it’s personal at all. If it’s all political they probably don’t have a highlight reel.

Once in a while a death in the family or something big that’s bad, but rarely.

Most of ‘em don’t know how good they’ve got it. That’s for sure!

Due to Dad being in the military, I went to 3 different HSs. Went in the AF myself and never received any invitations that I was aware of, or mom never told me. 50th was last year, if they had one. Doubt I would have gone anyway, as the only ones in my senior class that I knew were jocks. Part of being a military brat.

I gave up on reunions after the 10 year. Too many divorces and depressed people as a result of starter marriages. Also, the cheerleading squad had taken the lead on organizing the thing, which lead to a very cheer-centric focus. I wasn't interested in that in HS, I sure wasn't as an adult.

The other day, I googled my HS crush. In her younger years, she was an all American swimmer (HS and College), great academically, and a wonderful person. Now a twice divorced teacher who looks her age plus 5 years. Success doesn't always land where everyone expected.

I went to my 10 year reunion. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the class had gotten over themselves. I actually got involved in the 20 and 30 year reunion planning, ran the web site, did postcards, called people. We had a great time. One of our classmates -- and probably the last one you'd have thought would do it -- put together the 40 year almost single-handedly.

We have a few who still, for reasons I can't quite understand, bear some animosity toward, well, the entire class. It would be easy to do at first, but 40 years later? Come on. Everyone makes mistakes when they're young and stupid. There are two guys that I can think of who apparently still really, really think they're hot shots. The rest are really great people and we get along well. Not anything at all like it was in high school, trust me. In fact, it was through my work with the reunion "committee" that I just happened to know a top neurologist that I could call when we needed one in a hurry, and have him take my call out of the blue.

We went to my wife's 10 year reunion... she said they were still jackasses, skipped the next few. They're planning their 40th now, and she's helping out. Same school, she was a year behind me.

I detested high school. You can't be the poor kid in the school district with one of the highest or highest average income in the state - not during the late 80's early 90's at least. Kids were getting Beemers for their 16th, etc. When I graduated HS, I walked off the stage after getting my diploma and out the back door of the venue, and never said another word to anyone I went to school with again. For some reason they had a 5 year and I went to that. No one remembered my name so when the 10 year came, I RSVP'd with an expletive filled rant that even Clark would have approved of about why I wouldn't attend. I haven't heard a peep from the reunion committee since. I'm probably listed as deceased. I still live within 10-15 miles of where I graduated from, and rarely see anyone from HS. The few that I have, had no clue who I was.
Because I was in the band/orchestra, I didn't have to sit thru the graduation ceremony crap, and got handed my diploma before the official event. 2 days after graduation, I was on my way to Europe, got home in time to pack for college (out of state) and never looked back. Altho my parents remained in the state, I didn't. Made no attempt to stay in touch with anyone in high school. Didn't go to any of my college graduations either. I'm registered for the reunion website under a false name, just to see who's going.

Oddly enough, high school was amusing for me. I wasn't in the nerd group nor the popular group. But being in the band, I went to all the games, went on the out-of-state trips, played in the orchestra for the drama dept. Altho a science major (if such thing existed in HS), I spent most of my time hanging out with the theatre/music/speech people. Lots more fun.

Personally, I prefer POA get-togethers.

Last edited:
My old high school doesn't have class specific reunions. It is a yearly event where all classes are invited. I just saw some pictures of this years event. There was a lot of names I recognized, but the faces were totally different after 41 years. Since the majority of the students were not local, we scattered to all ends of the earth after graduation. I have only seen a couple since then.

The public school district I was in was just starting integration. Too many old teachers basically said I have 1 or 2 or 3 years until retirement and I am just going to ride out the years so I don't care what you do, just don't make trouble. And that was that. We basically did what we wanted to do and none of it was school work. So after barely passing 7th and 8th grade, my parents put me in the private military boarding school.

So my freshman year was my first year of the military school. Those teachers expected me to study. Not me, I did just enough to pass and nothing more. I was on the football team and there was nothing like no pass, no play. However, since I was a freshman and also new to the school, I got hazed a lot. The seniors pretty much made me behave in class and on campus, the juniors made sure I did some homework and the sophomores made sure I did all their cleaning, that is cleaning their clothes, bathrooms and dorm rooms. You want to see torture, put a 15 year old in charge of a group of 14 year olds.

Being on the football team did not make life any easier. The upper classmen used the freshman for blocking dummies. They took cheap shots at us whenever possible. Even the coaches pushed the freshman a little harder. During PT, they screamed at us more, hit us more and made us do our physical torture a little longer than the others, so by the time we got to the showers, there was no more towels or hot water left. Which of course made us late to the mess hall for our evening meal to pick through what was left of the food. And just like the movies, the freshman had to eat by raising our fork straight up from the plate, level with our mouth, then straight into our mouth. Every bite. I am left handed, and that was not going to fly with the seniors. I was expected to use my right hand for eating. And freshmen picked up the dishes for the upper classmen after they had finished eating.

Don't get me wrong. The coaches knew they knew they were teaching much more than a game and position techniques; their real aim was to inculcate in us priceless life lessons. Our coaches taught us, among other things, never quit, never give up, never stop trying.

Man I hated that school. I just may go to next years reunion event.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back