Help on understanding icing

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I'm going to fly from FDK (Frederick, Maryland) to 0B5 (Turners Falls, Massachusetts) this coming weekend. I have very minimal experience with icing. Now, I've read a lot about icing, but I wonder if someone can provide some helpful hints or some sort of cheat-sheet guidelines that would help with go/no-go. For example, I know that any time in clouds near the freezing point, there is a possibility of icing. I also know that warm fronts can be dangerous. What I need to know, though, is a way of getting a feel for what's inside. The worst thing I can imagine is getting all the way there, and then having to make an approach through clouds that are laden with ice. If it happened fast, a go-around might not be an option.

Anyway, please help, and thanks!

Last edited:
Ben,

Dr. Bruce published what I call 'the bible' on the answer to your question in AvSafety some time ago. If you have a subscription (meaning, your existing one has not yet run out) search their site. If not, contact him. It is, I believe, the exact answer for which you look.

Have you tried doing any on-line searches for information on icing? I think if you do, you'll find a lot of good stuff out there in cyberspace.

I've got no experience either but here's an attachment from the good doctor. I'm not sure which board I got it from.

wangmyers said:
I'm going to fly from FDK (Frederick, Maryland) to 0B5 (Turners Falls, Massachusetts) this coming weekend. I have very minimal experience with icing. Now, I've read a lot about icing, but I wonder if someone can provide some helpful hints or some sort of cheat-sheet guidelines that would help with go/no-go. For example, I know that any time in clouds near the freezing point, there is a possibility of icing. I also know that warm fronts can be dangerous. What I need to know, though, is a way of getting a feel for what's inside. The worst thing I can imagine is getting all the way there, and then having to make an approach through clouds that are laden with ice. If it happened fast, a go-around might not be an option.

Anyway, please help, and thanks!

Bruce's guide is definitely good reading. To that I'd add a few things:

1> Stay away from the NE quadrant of any low that has clouds or precip.

2> Go as light as you can. Every unnecessary pound you leave behind means more climb ability to get through a layer. Don't cheat on the reserve fuel, but don't tanker fuel to save money either, and chuck out that extra stuff that always seems to accumulate in the airplane over time.

3> Don't be timid with ATC about staying in icing, even light icing and let them know in advance that you will want a rapid descent to hook up with your approach.

4> Avoid places where you have few options such as airports under low Class B, routes surrounded by hot MOA's and restricted areas, etc.

5> The lee side of water bodies are especially ice prone in the fall and early winter until they freeze over. Large bodies are likely to remain open all winter.

6> Something on the plane will generally be the first place that ice shows up. Learn that place and monitor it closely. If you do see ice there, immediately start working on a way out (or better yet implement the plan B you already worked out). The sooner you do the more options you have. Once you've accumulated any significant amount of ice you will not be able to climb and may not even be able to hold altitude.

7> Rapidly varying the prop will flex the blades and this often sheds ice. Light to moderate ice often affects propeller effectiveness more quickly than wing lift.

8> Beware very light ice over an extended period of time. It can block fuel vents and engine air intake filters.

9> If you get out of the clouds, the ice will slowly sublimate away. This happens much more quickly if you are in sunlight (one good reason to avoid night flight when ice is a possibility).

10> If you do pick up ice that you cannot shed before landing, land without any flaps to avoid a potential tailplane stall and add extra speed (beyond what you'd normally add for no flaps). The stalling speed of your airplane is likely to have increased by 10-20% and your stall warning is probably inop. This means you need at least twice your normal runway length so avoid the need to land with ice at any airport without long runways.

11> Daylight makes it easier to see ice accumulations as well as ice free layers between clouds and cloud bases/tops. If you do fly at night, carry a big flashlight to inspect the wings and tail in the air.

12> To help stay out of the clouds consider asking ATC for a block altitude of 1000-2000 ft.

That was great, Lance. Thank You!

Struggling west through westerlie mountain waves at 12,000 MSL, once had a 182RG ice up all over with about 1/2" clear ice in less than one minute (!) one January night over the North Cascades on my first solo IFR.

IOW: It can happen fast.

Had 1.5 inches of rime on a skyhawk, and it was not much fun. Bruce's guidelines look excellent (I printed them myself).

Things I have learned from playing in ice on two occasions:
1. I don't want to do it again.

2. Airmets are not necessarily accurate as to area and altitude. The one time I picked up a trace of ice coming out of RUT, we were on the border of the airmet. The time I picked up real ice, the Airmet was significantly east and north of us, not very close.

3. Pireps are your best bet. If there are any pireps for ice anywhere in the area, in circumstances of stratus clouds, be prepared for ice. If there are no pireps, but aircraft flying, that is a good indication that those pilots are not finding anything to report.

4. Particularly in stratus, the ice really is most likely to be in the top of the layer. The one time I picked up a trace of ice, I got it shooting through the top 500 feet of the layer. We popped out on top, in the clear and the ice was gone almost immediately. On the other time, I don't know how close we were to the tops because, by the time we asked to climb, we were no longer able to climb very far. Which brings up.

5. Call for climb immediately, if you think you can get above the level, as soon as you start to accrue anything! No delay, no thought that it is just a very light accrual and not a problem. As for higher right then! We didn't that one day, and, by the time we realized we were really picking it up, it was too late to get more than about 300 feet before we ran out of climb.

6. A light single gets impaired quickly. The drag on rime is just tremendous, your ground speed goes to s--t asap and you get heavy fast too. Also, the prop slings ice off and the whole aircraft will shake like a bone in a dog's mouth. Expect that.

7. Give yourself an out. The day we picked up 1.5 of rime, the ceilings below us were fairly high. Once we got west of the last mountains, which was just a few miles, we were near the Hudson River and capable of getting below the clouds and near the ground, where it was + temps. Ice gone in 10 minutes. It literally blew off in sheets. Without that out, I am still not sure we could have made our other emergency choice, the comfort of an ILS into GFL.

Sorry this is long. I swore off IMC out of RUT in the late fall/winter after that last encounter. I'm not willing to take that risk again, even with a CFI on board, as we had that day.

Jim G

P.S. My advice is for stratus conditions in the NE. I have yet to get into clear ice in convection. I can live nicely without doing that, in fact.

YMMV

Wow, great info guys.

Ben. I'm sure you know this, but just in case, the "Icing" section on this site is a great place to start to get an overall picture of potential icing conditions. Go to the composite for your time frame of flight.

http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/

In addition to this no at all times where ther eis not ice. Whether you need to climb or decend to get out of it. Be prepared to make a 180 turn.

I hit ice on a trip and climbing was not an option as I would be in the clouds for a long time, or I could decend 1000 feet and be out of the clouds but still in freezing temps. Called ATC told them right away I was getting ice requested a 180 and vectors to a nearby airflield that had an ILS.

I knew icing was going to get worse ahead were the temps were colder than were I was, too many clouds to get on top, and I kept updating where I could land if need be.

The reulst was that my pax did not get worried and I did not have a serious problem only a slight annoyance.

Scott

smigaldi said:
In addition to this no at all times where ther eis not ice. Whether you need to climb or decend to get out of it. Be prepared to make a 180 turn.

I hit ice on a trip and climbing was not an option as I would be in the clouds for a long time, or I could decend 1000 feet and be out of the clouds but still in freezing temps. Called ATC told them right away I was getting ice requested a 180 and vectors to a nearby airflield that had an ILS.

I knew icing was going to get worse ahead were the temps were colder than were I was, too many clouds to get on top, and I kept updating where I could land if need be.

Scott

Yes, the key to surviving ice is to have a pre planned exit strategy and use it as soon as ice appears. If you look close at Bruce's recommendations you'll see that this is exactly what his methods provide.

Jeesh, all of this coupled with this weekend's forecast is making strongly rethink going! I'd feel better with a turbocharged, KI twin.

wangmyers said:
I'd feel better with a turbocharged, KI twin.

I want one too.:yes:

But seriously, this discussion of ice has been great. Thanks to the experienced contributors.

wangmyers said:
Jeesh, all of this coupled with this weekend's forecast is making strongly rethink going! I'd feel better with a turbocharged, KI twin.

I first started flying IFR in a Bonanza with nothing but a windshield defroster and a heated pitot for ice protection. Winters at my lattitude offer little relief from icing forecasts from about November through the end of March. With the Bonanza, I would launch if I knew I could get on top at a reasonably low altitude (< 8000) and there weren't any pireps of moderate or worse ice. The thing I always tried to avoid was when I would be stuck in the clouds much of the way and there wasn't at least MVFR weather below the clouds over most of the route. That generally left me with three possible "outs" if I ran into ice: Climb out of it, turn around, and descend to get below the clouds. I think there were only a couple times when I got beyond option 1, but that was at least partially due to the fact that I'd avoid flights that I thought would keep me in the clouds. Most of this flying was over the flatlands of the central part of the country. It's harder to find the same options over mountains, even little 5000 ft ones.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Struggling west through westerlie mountain waves at 12,000 MSL, once had a 182RG ice up all over with about 1/2" clear ice in less than one minute (!) one January night over the North Cascades on my first solo IFR.

IOW: It can happen fast.

That was slow by Mother Nature's scale. I picked up greater than 1" of mixed ice in well less than 15 seconds. Personally I think Bruce's icing primer will get someone killed. "No more than 3 minute exposure" and an ILS is an out (#3 on the list)? When did Mother Nature agree that she wouldn't/couldn't in less than 3 minutes turn your aircraft into a brick that is totally unable to maintain a GS?

Simply stay out of forecast or suspected icing. If you are contemplating a "safe" or "controlled" encounter with icing conditions (i.e. "less than 3 minutes exposure") take a few minutes and read the FAA "Hazardous Attitudes" list--see if you don't find a few describing your current mind set.

I hate winter and the icing conditions it brings. I hate it more every time that piece of literature comes back out for re-circulation.

In addition to what everyone else has said, you might keep in mind that besides the wings and tail there are other areas of an airplane not certified for icing that are not protected or designed with ice in mind. These include the props, the air intakes, the fuel vents, the antennas and the windshield. I don't think it would be a good feeling to shoot a successful ILS in icing conditions only to have a hard time seeing the runway because the windshield was obscured by ice. :no:

Something else I do when ther may be ice. I turn the pitot heat on at takeoff and leave it on. It takes to long to heat up in flight if I turn it on as I begin to see ice. Better to avoid it on the pitot to begin with and then while I am taking my out I have one less thing to worry about.

Scott

smigaldi said:
Something else I do when ther may be ice. I turn the pitot heat on at takeoff and leave it on. It takes to long to heat up in flight if I turn it on as I begin to see ice. Better to avoid it on the pitot to begin with and then while I am taking my out I have one less thing to worry about.

Scott

I try to maintain the habit of turning pitot heat on whenever the OAT will be less than 45 F at altitude. From September thru May this means every flight, but it seems that every year come September I have to get back in the habit.

Ed Guthrie said:
That was slow by Mother Nature's scale. I picked up greater than 1" of mixed ice in well less than 15 seconds. Personally I think Bruce's icing primer will get someone killed. "No more than 3 minute exposure" and an ILS is an out (#3 on the list)? When did Mother Nature agree that she wouldn't/couldn't in less than 3 minutes turn your aircraft into a brick that is totally unable to maintain a GS?

Simply stay out of forecast or suspected icing. If you are contemplating a "safe" or "controlled" encounter with icing conditions (i.e. "less than 3 minutes exposure") take a few minutes and read the FAA "Hazardous Attitudes" list--see if you don't find a few describing your current mind set.

I hate winter and the icing conditions it brings. I hate it more every time that piece of literature comes back out for re-circulation.

So Ed, how do you deal with winter where you are? And how would you and your non-deiced but othewise nice Mooney handle Minnesota from November through April when the daily max temp rarely sees the high side of freezing?

lancefisher said:
So Ed, how do you deal with winter where you are? And how would you and your non-deiced but othewise nice Mooney handle Minnesota from November through April when the daily max temp rarely sees the high side of freezing?

I've been through Minnesota in winter. I've been though Minnesota in the winter in the clouds. Not every below freezing temperature cloud is a potential icing encounter. How do I handle it? I look at the icing forecasts, the pireps, the forecast temperatures aloft, and every other piece of information I can find and then I try to determine a combination of route & altitude that will keep me out of forecast icing and/or out of freezing temperatures. If I can't find a non-ice solution I don't go. If I felt the need to travel under forecast icing conditions I would either purchase an airline ticket or purchase a k-ice twin. In the later case I would still try to avoid the forecast icing as much as possible, and I would use the k-ice capability to flee the known icing conditions (i.e I'm in it, I see ice collecting, this is definitely known icing conditions).

FWIW, for several years I had an icing conditions rule set that virtually matched Bruce's rule set. I survived a couple (several) icing encounters. Luckily, Mother Nature was kind enough to demonstrate the folly of my assumptions (i.e. Bruce's 3 minute exposure rule) versus simply punch my ticket and take me out of the game. Several of the icing demonstrations should have done the trick, but I'm a slow learner. One of those demonstrations was rather graphic (the <15 second encounter I previously mentioned).

I don't play the game anymore because I now realize I wasn't really playing, I was just a patsy waiting for the results to be announced.

FWIW, I live in and/or frequently cross what Richard Collins refers to as the icing capital of the US (the Appalachians). There are probably only a handful of days each winter during which I can't find a non-ice solution to a proposed flight--even on the worst forecast icing days.

Last edited:
Back