Help needed - GoPro Hero 2 sd card formatting issues

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Need some help, please!

I have a GoPro Hero 2 which works fine. I've twice tried to use it with a 64gb SD card that elsewhere works fine. Lexar Platinum II, three months old.

Formatted it within the GoPro menu. Twice, in fact.

Used it today. Video worked fine. No error messages, no apparent issues.

Tying to import it into my Windows 7 PC and getting error message "Disk needs to be formatted." Have tried multiple card readers and a different computer (laptop).

Any ideas what is going on?

One possibility - is the GoPro Hero2 old enough it can't handle a 64gb card?
Is it some esoteric format?

I'd really like to rescue this video!
Thank you.

yeah, the 2 is old, but I had similar issues years ago when I first got it. there are a lot of articles online about having to use the right sd card. once I switched to 'whatever the right one was', it has worked ever since. I just don't recall the specifics, u can find it with a little googling. now if that stupid battery would last longer than about 45 minutes......

I'm happy to never use that card again and stick with 8gig cards. However, my bigger concern is how do I transfer the video I recorded already?

Further research tells me GoPro says use a maximum of a 32GB card in the GoPro Hero 2. What happens since I used a 64gb card?
Lots of techies here on POA - anyone have a solution?
Thanks!!

do u have an sd card reader? they are pretty cheap if u don't have one or know someone who does.

Yes, thanks, Eman. I have tried multiple card readers and different computers. I think it must be in the way the Hero2 formats the card, since it's only designed for up to 32gb and this card is 64gb. May need some Linux expertise or something able to directly read off the card.

Couldn't tell from your posts and I know little about GoPro but have you tried transferring it via cable?

I got it figured out and rescued the video!! Was able to copy it to an older iPad and from there to my PC. Whew. Lesson learned! THANK YOU ALL for the suggestions and help.

Back