Help me prep for Instrument Oral

Triggerhappyjack

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TriggerHappyJack
I am about to take my Instrument Checkride so please hit me with some of the especially tricky questions/scenerios you have recieved. I appreciate all advice, tips and help! Thanks in advance.

Look at the Andy Munnis video on youtube. Know Wx theory & Services, the Instrument Flying Handbook and chat with your CFII about what the DPE looks for..

Concur. Watch the Munnis video for the instrument - highly valuable at explaining both the knowledge you need and what a typical DPE is and isn't going to expect.

The super tricky stuff is not, according to Andy Munnis, what they expect you to know (unless they're dicks - very rare - or just having fun challenging an applicant who is otherwise doing very well on the verbal test).

They want you to demonstrate that you can recall most of the important stuff you learned and know where to look up what you can't immediately recall. You're trying to convince them that you are competent and competence doesn't require 100% instant recall or being able to handle gotcha questions.

Your instructor will know your DPE and should be able to advise on what s/he generally asks.

OK, so now to answer the question in the OP. A trick question asked of me was, literally, this:

DPE: "How does your mechanical HSI work?"

Me: "PFM" (pure ****ing magic)

DPE: "Exactly!"

He then proceeded to draw a picture of an HSI with an arrow to a PFM box with another arrow to my GPS navigator. :D

I am getting for IR check ride soon. I did some ground with an instructor who knows what the DPE I am using is like. If you can find someone to spend an hour or 2 that's a good way to go.

Also as a general guide, don't forget reading the part 91 regs relating to IFR. Alternates, when you can descend below MDA/DA, legally required items, etc.

I hadn't read any of that and I struggled on some stuff.

Good Luck

The best way to prep is for your instructor to give you a practice oral based on the way your examiner will do it. Those "Oral Test Guides" aren't really worth much any more. While there's a lot of good material in those "Oral Prep" books, the FAA guidance on practical tests no longer calls for those simple Q&A methods, but rather goes for "situationally based testing."

For example, instead of asking you what the VFR weather mins are in Class E airspace, the examiner may ask you whether or not today's weather is good enough to make your planned XC flight under VFR, and how you came to that determination. This will test, in a more realistic manner, not only your rote knowledge of 91.155, but also your ability to apply that knowledge to a practical situation, not to mention your ability to read and interpret all the available weather data, as well as determining from the sectional what airspace you'll be in so you know which paragraph of 91.155 applies along each part of your route. Those old-style Q&A books can't prepare you for that -- only a good instructor familiar with the concept of situationally based testing can.

So, for an IR test, the examiner may look at your flight plan, and ask you why the Alternate block is blank -- and have you justify that answer based on the regs and the weather. Or, if there is an airport there, ask you why you needed to put it there, and how you know it qualifies as a legal alternate today, which requires reference to weather, regs, NOTAMs, and the Terminal Procedures book. This is very different from the old days where an examiner would simply ask you "What's the required weather at your destination to not file an alternate? Can you use this approach as an alternate? What are the standard alternate minimums? Are the alternate minimums at this airport nonstandard?" and makes you think and analyze, not just parrot.

Now, there are still a few old-school examiners who pull out the Oral Test Prep book and start asking questions from it, but they are getting much fewer and farther between. Your instructor should be familiar with the testing styles of the local examiners, so s/he should be able to help you prepare, and give you a practice oral that reasonably accurately reflects that style.

I found the video from King Schools helpful

I'm proud to say that I aced my instrument oral. The instrument checkride was the most difficult check for me, but at least on the ground, the examiner didn't ask me anything that I didn't know. The flight portion was a bit more challenging, but that's another story.

I studied the following:

1. FAA Instrument Flying Handbook
2. FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook
3. FAA Aviation Weather
4. FAA Aviation Weather Services
5. FAR/AIM
6. ASA Instrument Pilot Oral Exam Guide - for a quick review of the major stuff as well as some example scenarios to think through.

And (as others have said) make sure you do a "mock" checkride with your CFI to fine tune everything for the ride.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

-Why is the MCA so high crossing BIPIN?
-What does the 'x' symbolize at JOVCU?
-Explain B646. How do you fly B646?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 43
-Why is the MCA so high crossing BIPIN?
-What does the 'x' symbolize at JOVCU?
-Explain B646. How do you fly B646?

I'm still new at this, but can I take a stab?

1. MCA is high because of a nearly 3 mile long tethered balloon a few miles north, with restricted airspace intersecting the airway. You cannot guarantee clearance from the restricted airspace at a lower altitude by tracking the centerline with VORs.

2. The "x" is an intersection in an NDB-defined airway

3. B646 would be flown west to east by tracking outbound on course 081 from Fish Hook NDB until Marathon NDB bearing is 072. Then fly course 072 to Marathon until crossing the station.

2. The "x" is an intersection in an NDB-defined airway.
Sure. However, that "x" is a fix that serves no ATC function. See below:

Mileage Breakdown or
Computer Navigation Fix
(CNF)(no ATC function)

What's the difference between green and brown airports?
What's required to fly a Tango route?
Why is IIY's (NDB ) frequency scratched out?
Why is ELW's (VOR) VHF frequency underlined?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back