Help me pick Cross country flights

Adamoh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Adamoh
Ill be flying out of ktoa in socal. There are various airports around me that are just under 50 miles:/ like Oxnard, Camarillo, Santa Paula etc. It is kinda lame how there are no airports to the west or southwest of me because of the pacific. I want to go north like to Bakersfield but I don't have much experience crossing mountains. Any advice? Do I look for passes or go around them or what else? Thank you!

What will you be flying?

What is your experience level? (flight time....etc...)

That would of been helpful lol.
I'll be flying a 150 I have about 80 hrs pic

Ill be flying out of ktoa in socal. There are various airports around me that are just under 50 miles:/ like Oxnard, Camarillo, Santa Paula etc. It is kinda lame how there are no airports to the west or southwest of me because of the pacific. I want to go north like to Bakersfield but I don't have much experience crossing mountains. Any advice? Do I look for passes or go around them or what else? Thank you!

I fly out of KTOA as well. Are you training or buzzing around or?

I have my ppl. Im working on the 50 hr xc time for ifr training. How about you?

I have my PPL and my XC time. Need to do my instrument eventually.

KSBD is >50nm. Not many amenities on the field there though, or anything to do worthwhile. That was one of my grinding spots. F70 has an okay little cafe. KSBA is expensive. I wouldn't bother unless you have to or it's date night and you're willing to risk the service at Beachside Cafe. I have flown out to KSBP to visit family several times. That's ~140 each way. Good airport cafe. If you're really feeling adventurous, fly up to Salinas. Easy to get into and out of. Nothing special really, but it's a towered airport a "long" way away and pretty sleepy. I hear good things about Camarillo.

My one and only experience with mountain wave was north of Santa Barbara. Not an experience I care to repeat. But nothing really to worry about. I cleared the ridge by 1000 feet or so, so that's probably why I got a bit more caught up than I expected. Now I go back and forth across it at 8500 and don't even think twice.

Bakersfield should be doable IF you do your homework. No high winds, no clouds, and listen to all the complaints coming into Burbank. Remember, it gets hot and DA can exceed 3000 on the ground. You may need to lean for takeoff.

Municipal has a well-regarded restaurant, so you may want to go there rather than Meadows.

If you're good in the wind, Tehachapi is a nice spot. There is a good restaurant and an OK museum at Fox (Lancaster). I haven't been to Mojave yet.

I wouldn't recommend Big Bear in a 152. It's not impossible, but it will involve all your skill and judgment. I did it in a Warrior and it was challenging enough....

Last edited:
Well, you're trying to build time. Why not go further?

Say, Harris Ranch, SLO, Oceano, Paso Robles, Monterey, or the Bay Area (use the coastal route if Grapevine is windy).

There are tons of airports in California. Id go to Oceano L52 and walk to the beach and a restaurant. Dont get fogged in!

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes I was thinking of going farther since I'm trying to build time but I wanted to hit the ones a little closer first. I've been to Santa Maria, San Bernardino, Palomar, Ramona during my training but would only land, taxi back to the runway and head home now I want to park the plane and have lunch or something on the field or near the field.

Ill be flying out of ktoa in socal. There are various airports around me that are just under 50 miles:/ like Oxnard, Camarillo, Santa Paula etc. It is kinda lame how there are no airports to the west or southwest of me because of the pacific.

Catalina is sort of southwest of you;)

Back