Help me identify Collins Nav/Com

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
I'm away from my POH and the country and would like to do some research.

I have an ancient Collins panel mounted Nav/Com system. It's a remote system, where the actual radios are in the back. I got 3x Coms (one is a standby) and 2x Nav control units flush mounted. I had initially wanted to get rid of them, but now thinking of maybe keeping them if parts availability is good.

Can someone identify these units by model number from the picture here?

Attachments

• collins.jpg
    collins.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 69
You sure the remotes are Collins? I can't find anything in the usual used avionics places that looks like that.

I'm away from my POH and the country and would like to do some research.

I have an ancient Collins panel mounted Nav/Com system. It's a remote system, where the actual radios are in the back. I got 3x Coms (one is a standby) and 2x Nav control units flush mounted. I had initially wanted to get rid of them, but now thinking of maybe keeping them if parts availability is good.

Can someone identify these units by model number from the picture here?

I think you'll need to crawl in the back and get the numbers off the boxes to see where you stand.

Why do you want to keep them? Ballast?:dunno:

Maybe they're not Collins. I just assumed that because the knobs look Collins-y. Also, that half rack size looks a lot like later Collins stuff. Could they be King?

No, the temptation is to throw them all out to save weight, but at the same time, as a second radio, they do take up less real estate than a new Garmin. But the radio boxes in the rack at the back do look quite big, so would probably save a bit of weight.

Maybe they're not Collins. I just assumed that because the knobs look Collins-y. Also, that half rack size looks a lot like later Collins stuff. Could they be King?

No, the temptation is to throw them all out to save weight, but at the same time, as a second radio, they do take up less real estate than a new Garmin. But the radio boxes in the rack at the back do look quite big, so would probably save a bit of weight.

Knobs look more Narco to me. I'd trash them.

Those are "Gables" control heads.

1015-0107b.jpg

GABLES

You will have to look at the boxes for the Collins VHF radio numbers. They are probably 618-M1.

001.jpg

Back