Help me identify an airplane.

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Sorry, no pictures. I saw an airplane today that I can’t identify. This was in the Kansas City area in the vicinity of LXT, Lee’s Summit airport. It went straight over the top of me so I couldn’t get a side view look at it.

At first, I thought it was a DC-3 but as it flew over, the wing planform was wrong. The wing was narrow at the fuselage, tapered out to the engine nacelles, and then tapered back in to the wingtips. I have never seen anything like it. Anyone have any ideas what it might have been?

Wasn't this was it?

C-46%2Bprofiles.jpg

I know what all of those look like. It wasn't any of them. I thought maybe it was a German airplane but I cannot find one with the proper planform.

Anyone have any ideas what it might have been?
Don't know if this will work, but find someone with a gold or business subs to Flightradar24 and search flights for that area, time, and date. If lucking should provide type.

You're back stateside, Greg? Want to fly to Puerto Rico with me a week from Saturday?

I can almost guarantee it was a Stinson Tri-Motor. A friend of mine landed there about 19 hours ago!

42583650_325855898162732_697508736184352768_o.jpg

1144.jpg

I would LOVE to. However it was only temporary. I am on my way back to Guam as we type.

Oh well, maybe next time. It was just an overnight trip anyway - easy 4,000 nm in 2 days in the Mitz.

I can almost guarantee it was a Stinson Tri-Motor. A friend of mine landed there about 19 hours ago!
That has to be it. Same wing shape. Don’t know how I missed the engine on the nose.

I wish I could get involved with something like that.

That has to be it. Same wing shape. Don’t know how I missed the engine on the nose.

I wish I could get involved with something like that.
It is the newest plane at the Mid America Flight Museum in Mount Pleasant, Texas. Can't wait to go see it.

Back