Help me decide

1RTK1

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Ralph
Help me decide on a possible next plane.
I have been flying my Grumman tiger for the last 3 plus years. It has basic steam gauges which are fine for now though a more up to date panel sure would be nice.
The tiger is a very responsive fun plane to fly (and I love it) but I am looking for something with a better useful load, mine is about 1000lbs give or take.
I would like to go experimental, options seem limited, but certificated would work.
Looking at 4 place min and max of 6 seats. Planes seem to be like tents, you buy a 4 man and only 2 fit comfortably.
Oh, it also must not fly like a tank and be a slow pig.

What are you looking for in a budget?

RV-10 is one answer. However they are only 4 seats. They are sure nice and fast. And I am told handle much like a Tiger.

Grumman Cougar. :D

I have been flying my Grumman tiger for the last 3 plus years. It has basic steam gauges which are fine for now though a more up to date panel sure would be nice.
The tiger is a very responsive fun plane to fly (and I love it) but I am looking for something with a better useful load, mine is about 1000lbs give or take.
I would like to go experimental, options seem limited, but certificated would work.
Looking at 4 place min and max of 6 seats. Planes seem to be like tents, you buy a 4 man and only 2 fit comfortably.

1000 lb useful load is pretty good for a small piston single.
Most experimentals can't carry that. An RV-10 is one of the few exceptions, but as @Jumpmaster noted it's a 4-place. Some other 4-placers include the larger Lancairs (a used ES might be interesting) and the Glasair Sportman 2+2 (also ~1000 lb useful load though).

Fast, nimble, piston single and six-place don't usually go together. Load haulers generally fly like tanks. So you'll probably have to figure out what you want to compromise on early on in this search.

Last edited:
RV-10 is one answer. However they are only 4 seats. They are sure nice and fast. And I am told handle much like a Tiger.

I do like the RV10

What are you looking for in a budget?

100,000-200,000

Grumman Cougar. :D

Not really interested in a twin right now

1000 lb useful load is pretty good for a small piston single.
Most experimentals can't carry that. An RV-10 is one of the few exceptions, but as @Jumpmaster noted it's a 4-place. Some other 4-placers include the larger Lancairs (a used ES might be interesting) and the Glasair Sportman 2+2 (also ~1000 lb useful load though).

Fast, nimble, piston single and six-place don't usually go together. Load haulers generally fly like tanks. So you'll probably have to figure out what you want to compromise on early on in this search.

A 4 place would be fine if the use full load was somewhat better than 1000. Seems planes are like my tent analogy and the list Isn’t very long.
Didn’t know the lancair had an ES, they are nice, not cheap though

Thanks for the suggestion guys

Last edited:
That budget will get you a decent older A36 Bonanza, Lance, Cherokee 6, 206, or 182. All of them will have a significant increase in useful load.

In the EA-B category, maybe a Murphy or CompAir?

How slow is slow?

Don’t want to go any slower than what I currently have and would prefer faster. Something in the range of 150kts+

Also would prefer low wing, again that would restricts many options unfortunately. Wanted something different than the common Cessna.

Don’t want to go any slower than what I currently have and would prefer faster. Something in the range of 150kts+

Also would prefer low wing, again that would restricts many options unfortunately. Wanted something different than the common Cessna.
hmmm. Velocity XL-RG?

That budget will get you a decent older A36 Bonanza, Lance, Cherokee 6, 206, or 182. All of them will have a significant increase in useful load.

In the EA-B category, maybe a Murphy or CompAir?

Never knew about Murphy or compair. I’ll check them out, thanks

Another vote for a Velocity. They are a blast to fly and I’ve found them to be very comfortable. You won’t be getting in and out of short grass strips, but it’s a good plane.

If I had the money, one of those would definitely be on my short list.

@Velocity173 knows his way around them

Nope, not the right plane for the OP. TCABM has first dibbs on that one. ;)
Actually now that I look at it, it has Blue Mountain glass. I would stay away from avionics that are no longer supported. Then again, mine have been working fine for 7 years. BC444645-3AAB-4A20-B789-D06D6DDC67E0.jpeg

Interesting airplane! And that IO-550 is something to lust after in that slick airframe.
What is the typical useful load and fuel capacity for one of these?
70 gallons, with a 93 gallon option and 1100lbs useful. That varies, obviously.

Interesting airplane! And that IO-550 is something to lust after in that slick airframe.
What is the typical useful load and fuel capacity for one of these?
Mine has an 85gal capacity (41 per side with 3 in the sump tank). With full fuel, I have a 790lb useful load.

Question 1: With 1000lbs useful, you can already carry 700lbs in the cabin with 5 hours full fuel (no reserve) and 800lbs in the cabin for 3.5 hours to the tabs. How much more cabin load are you looking for and how far do you expect to fly them? As @denverpilot says, nimble and load-hauler are usually at odds.

Question 2: Am I right in reading that you basically want everything that you already have except more cabin load?

Question 3: How much do you want for your Tiger?

Question 4: Are @1RTK1 and @rtk11 related in any way?

Question 1: With 1000lbs useful, you can already carry 700lbs in the cabin with 5 hours full fuel (no reserve) and 800lbs in the cabin for 3.5 hours to the tabs. How much more cabin load are you looking for and how far do you expect to fly them? As @denverpilot says, nimble and load-hauler are usually at odds.

Question 2: Am I right in reading that you basically want everything that you already have except more cabin load?

Question 3: How much do you want for your Tiger?

Question 4: Are @1RTK1 and @rtk11 related in any way?

#2:, Yes, more useful load, performance and a nicer panel I don’t have to sink money into.

#3:, not for sale right now until I find a new plane.

#4, Over the years you know how planes and people gain weight, I bet my useful load is in the mid 9’s now at best. Although I am not heavy I do have a few friends that are.lol Pack them in there and all they could bring was a tooth brush.

#4, Over the years you know how planes and people gain weight, I bet my useful load is in the mid 9’s now at best. Although I am not heavy I do have a few friends that are.lol Pack them in there and all they could bring was a tooth brush.

Heck that’s not a problem. A tooth brush and a credit card to go to Walmart for clothes at the other end of the flight and you’re all set for any trip!

Although I am not heavy I do have a few friends that are.lol Pack them in there and all they could bring was a tooth brush.

The lovely lady in your avatar looks rather svelte. The other 2 guys must be downright corpulent.

The lovely lady in your avatar looks rather svelte. The other 2 guys must be downright corpulent.

LOL, that's my daughter. She takes after her mother.:)
I don't let people take pictures of me, always have a dumb look on my face for some reason, oh and I'm balding to boot.

A36 is probably going to be the best handling, high-ish useful load airplane that's fast and roomy.

A turbo lance don’t think you’ll get the speed you want.

This just in - Walmart now sells toothbrushes at selected locations, all sorts of them from one tooth all the way up to 32.

Yeah I wouldn’t have wasted the useful load on a toothbrush either, but he said it would carry one, so I figured he was very attached to his. :)

Try looking at Revolution Aircraft. They sell kits, and have a customer completion center (I should think their customers are already completed, actually). I think if you work on it full-time you could complete it in about 6 months. They also have completed planes for sale.

http://revolutionaviation.net/foxtrot/
The Tango is a 2 seater; the Revolution 6 is a four seater. I sat in a previous version of the Revolution, and it was way short of headroom. Nothing a plug in the fuselage wouldn't fix (and the firewall).

From the Grumman

A short winged glassair with a 520 or better.

Lanceair

Try looking at Revolution Aircraft. They sell kits, and have a customer completion center (I should think their customers are already completed, actually). I think if you work on it full-time you could complete it in about 6 months. They also have completed planes for sale.

http://revolutionaviation.net/foxtrot/
The Tango is a 2 seater; the Revolution 6 is a four seater. I sat in a previous version of the Revolution, and it was way short of headroom. Nothing a plug in the fuselage wouldn't fix (and the firewall).

Wow, 1600lbs useful load

Back