Help! Lost my PPL and need to fly soon!

Question:

Just got another voicemail from the FAA (seems they run a few days to a week between calls).

The woman said she got my voice message and was glad to hear I found my certificate but that she needs me to call her back.

She says in order to "close out" this "case" she has to know my last name, certificate number,etc.

Should I be concerned? I didn't want an FAA "record"!!!

PS - I never talked to anyone (just phone tag / voicemails). This all started when I left a "vague" voicemail on their main number saying I'd lost my cert and I wanted to know what to do next. I had only left my first name and cell phone number at that time.

They're not going to violate you for misplacing a certificate. The FAA isn't THAT mean. ;)

Question:

Just got another voicemail from the FAA (seems they run a few days to a week between calls).

The woman said she got my voice message and was glad to hear I found my certificate but that she needs me to call her back.

She says in order to "close out" this "case" she has to know my last name, certificate number,etc.

Should I be concerned? I didn't want an FAA "record"!!!

Yes you should. Don't talk to the FAA or anyone in government. They are not your friend, and you are now probably on a "list", so be careful. Be prepared for some bills for "fees" to show up next. If you don't pay them you will go to jail, and I hear those female prisons aren't as nice as the male ones.

:D

OMG people I'm just asking since there are so many anti-FAA posts. I mean, seriously, I left a voicemail - geez. Why am I now a "case" with her "files"?

OMG people I'm just asking since there are so many anti-FAA posts. I mean, seriously, I left a voicemail - geez. Why am I now a "case" with her "files"?

Because people who misplace certificates are probably terrorists. Next, they'll require you to wear a GPS anklet. That's what you get for reporting it to the FAA!

You guys are too tough. I have friends that work for the FAA and they are just like the rest of us. I'm sure there are those for whom the power goes to their head (like some cops) but for the most part, the FAA people are really nice.

I would call her back, Kimberly. She probably had to open some kind of computer file when you called and needs to be sure it gets closed out properly so she won't get fired when someone audits her performance.

Oh, and I realize some of these posts were a little tongue-in-cheek!

Have you called an attorney yet? One that is knowledgeable within aviation and dealing with the FAA.

He, he, he, he.........

Maybe she is really nice. Maybe this will not get "linked" to my "file" so I don't look like a person who loses stuff. And on a dog walk to get coffee, geez. I need to buy jackets with upright pockets (these are the side slit ones where stuff can fall out).

Why don't you call the IRS next, and then DHS just to chat? Try NSA, CIA too.

Kimberly it's just record keeping. Call, give her the info, thank her for her concern and let it go. It's really not bad.

Kimberly it's just record keeping. Call, give her the info, thank her for her concern and let it go. It's really not bad.

Thanks. Everyone on here makes it seem like any contact with the FAA will ruin my day so I am just asking dumb questions.

I was not calling them to chat! I was worried cuz I lost my cert and had to fly an XC in March!

It's nothing to worry about with the FAA, it's the TSA they need to pass all this onto since you let your pilots cert out of your possession for someone, probably a terrorist, to copy.

It's nothing to worry about with the FAA, it's the TSA they need to pass all this onto since you let your pilots cert out of your possession for someone, probably a terrorist, to copy.

A young girl did NOT copy my cert (she is the one who found it).

They have a switchboard full of nutcases trying to do that right now.;)

Yeah... But do they have a potentially ditzy blonde/ redhead with a newly minted PPL that is planning a XC trip in a very dangerous 150 on their radar screen ?:dunno::dunno::hairraise::rofl:

Last edited:
Hey now it is FOUR HUNDRED freaking nautical miles! And I am not going without my little teal colored card in my flight bag!

A young girl did NOT copy my cert (she is the one who found it).

Nice cover story but not good enough to get by the keen anti-terrorist senses of the TSA. Soon you'll be on the TSA 'No Fly List' at every FBO and flight school in the country.

Nice cover story but not good enough to get by the keen anti-terrorist senses of the TSA. Soon you'll be on the TSA 'No Fly List' at every FBO and flight school in the country.

So - she was at lunch and I simply left a message with my last name spelled out and my cert number - I probably won't even hear from her after this.

If I am on a "no fly list" what happens when I go online to Southwest to purchase tickets? Do they take my money? Give me a refund at the airport? Show me an error screen? I might want to book a flight to an upcoming POA fly-in meeting this year so I need to know this stuff.

You're joking, right? You won't be on any kind of list.....

Not only that if you ever need to get a security clearance or attend, let's say a Broadway show, forget it. Being in NYC and all, they are still very wary.

So - she was at lunch and I simply left a message with my last name spelled out and my cert number - I probably won't even hear from her after this.

If I am on a "no fly list" what happens when I go online to Southwest to purchase tickets? Do they take my money? Give me a refund at the airport? Show me an error screen? I might want to book a flight to an upcoming POA fly-in meeting this year so I need to know this stuff.

They will have you taken into custody, by saying that there system is "slow", while you are standing there, meanwhile calling the airport police, or security, etc.

Kimberley,

Yes we are kidding. :D

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

It's easy commercial, you won't even notice that you get put through the bomb disarming and human sterilization booth line.

Back