Help! Lost my PPL and need to fly soon!

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
OK so here is the deal:

I STUPIDLY showed my pilot's cert to the BF's sister's husband at a dinner party on Friday night. I flew, as a PASSENGER, in a 150 on Saturday and a 172 on Sunday. I knew that I'd put the cert in my back jean pocket and then possibly my coat pocket and gone on a 1-hour dog walk where it could have fallen out.

What do I do? I know I can get a replacement, but I'm still looking for the cert, and what if the replacement doesn't arrive in time for my next flight? Am I grounded?

Oh, and as some of you might remember (if I posted about it), the FAA accidentally sent me TWO (one a few days after the other, in a separate envelope). I don't know where the second one is at the moment and want to know if my pilot / airman number will be CHANGED in any way when I get the replacement. In other words, if I find the "lost" ones while I'm waiting for the new one, are the old ones no longer valid?

Thanks for the help everyone and I can't BELIEVE I was so lame.

Well you could always carry your spare with you on the flight. I wouldnt worry about it, if you get ramped I dont think they will realize that you have 2. I dont think my pilots cert number changed when I got my new license.

Well you could always carry your spare with you on the flight. I wouldnt worry about it, if you get ramped I dont think they will realize that you have 2. I dont think my pilots cert number changed when I got my new license.

I plan to look for my spare one and if I find it that's great I won't order a new one. The real question here is if I can't find ANY am I grounded - if I am able to fill out whatever aviation paperwork etc..... or do I get like a temporary cert in the meantime? I'm gonna be bummed if I can't fly do to my stupid mistake.

Or can I carry the full size (actually enlarged) color copy of both sides I took for my records? It is just a piece of paper but better than nothing. I am so upset I lost this thing.

You CANNOT use a copy. A call to your local FSDO will give you all the answers you need.

You CANNOT use a copy. A call to your local FSDO will give you all the answers you need.

Thanks Greg I just didn't know if it was like calling other gov't agencies (no live person, nobody calls you back, runaround, etc) so I thought I'd ask here first. In my job we work with the gov't so I deal with the following every day and I know the drill:

GSA
SSA
DEA
Customs
Border Patrol
USDA
Rangers

Etc.....

Again, of course, I will go with the FAA / local office but only if I can't find mine. What I want to know before contacting them is what happens so I can decide if I need to do an all out hours and hours search or if I should just get a $2 one (if they issue a temporary).

In other words, if I want to fly this weekend, can I? Or not?

I found the form online but it doesn't say. Their site says they are "backed up" to December 21, 2011 currently which makes me wonder if it will take 2 months to get my new cert. Am I then grounded for two months?

Pretty sure they can fax you a temporary cert. Other threads have mentioned similar problems and temp resolution.

I found the form online but it doesn't say. Their site says they are "backed up" to December 21, 2011 currently which makes me wonder if it will take 2 months to get my new cert. Am I then grounded for two months?

Kimberly, get a hold of the FSDO. They can issue a temp on the spot, IIRC. If not, they can tell you how to go about it.

You are fretting over not much. Just calm down, go to bed, and call the FSDO in the morning.

Calm down.

Breathe.

Now go to this link: https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/Logon.asp

You can create an account there, log in, and print a temporary. You'll be flying again in a matter of a few minutes.

Or you can call the FAA and they can fax you a temporary.

You're welcome.

Calm down.

Breathe.

You can create an account there, log in, and print a temporary. You'll be flying again in a matter of a few minutes.

You're welcome.

Thank goodness. I guess I shouldn't have left that FSDO voicemail just now. My silly message will amuse them in the morning.... oh no! I contacted the FAA! Run away!!!

I will look for the second one for a short while tonight then give up and get the temporary tomorrow via your link or FAX worst case.

Thanks.

Thank goodness. I guess I shouldn't have left that FSDO voicemail just now. My silly message will amuse them in the morning.... oh no! I contacted the FAA! Run away!!!

I will look for the second one for a short while tonight then give up and get the temporary tomorrow via your link or FAX worst case.

Thanks.

Get the temporary right now. Don't mess with your other one. You should never have more then one valid certificate in your possession at a time. Most likely one of those two certificates you had, had an older issue date, and was therefore invalid. I highly doubt you had two certificates with the same issue date.

The proper way to resolve this is to go on that website right now. Print the temporary. Order the replacement. If you find your other two throw them away.

Get the temporary right now. Don't mess with your other one. You should never have more then one valid certificate in your possession at a time. Most likely one of those two certificates you had, had an older issue date, and was therefore invalid. I highly doubt you had two certificates with the same issue date.

The proper way to resolve this is to go on that website right now. Print the temporary. Order the replacement. If you find your other two throw them away.

That is an interesting point. I will compare my color copy (of the one I lost) with the one I might find tonight. If they are the same issue date I will let you know. I remember David got his with a small error too so I figured they just accidentally hit the "send" button twice with mine.

Now you're making me wonder if I was keeping the "wrong" one with me the whole time, if they had different dates. Never thought of that.

Pretty sure they can fax you a temporary cert. Other threads have mentioned similar problems and temp resolution.

They can fax you one. My instructor is a Southwest captain and told me that. You just have to find the right person to call.

You know, I thought that I had identical certificates, but when I studied them closely I found that they differed in such important characteristics as issuance date, weight, and English proficiency!

Go back to Jesse's posting. Follow Jesse's directions.

I mislaid my flight bag for more than a week and had Young Eagle flights scheduled. Went to the FAA site, requested a dup, and printed out the temporary. Took all of 5 minutes.

Just as Dr Bruce is our resident medical expert, Capt Ron & Jesse are our resident experts dealing with FAA paperwork.

...and do not try to use that second certificate or think an inspector cannot tell whether a previously issued certificate is no longer valid. Like they said -- call the FSDO this morning, and don't fly until you have a valid certificate in your personal possession.

OK so here is the deal:

I STUPIDLY showed my pilot's cert to the BF's sister's husband at a dinner party on Friday night. I flew, as a PASSENGER, in a 150 on Saturday and a 172 on Sunday. I knew that I'd put the cert in my back jean pocket and then possibly my coat pocket and gone on a 1-hour dog walk where it could have fallen out.

What do I do? I know I can get a replacement, but I'm still looking for the cert, and what if the replacement doesn't arrive in time for my next flight? Am I grounded?

Oh, and as some of you might remember (if I posted about it), the FAA accidentally sent me TWO (one a few days after the other, in a separate envelope). I don't know where the second one is at the moment and want to know if my pilot / airman number will be CHANGED in any way when I get the replacement. In other words, if I find the "lost" ones while I'm waiting for the new one, are the old ones no longer valid?

Thanks for the help everyone and I can't BELIEVE I was so lame.

You got TWO PPL certs and lost them both.:dunno::dunno::dunno::idea:

Ya sure you ain't a blonde?;)

You mentioned that you do not think dealing with FSDO will be fast and pleasant.

In 2003, I lost my student cert. Luckily, the field I flew out of has FSDO right there. I had no idea what FSDO was at that time, I just remember seeing the sign that said "FAA" and I boldly went where not a lot of people want to.

Experience was very pleasant. Receptionist asked me to take a seat (looked more like a higher end office waiting room, than doctor's waiting room), and someone will be with me. Had a bunch of aviation magazines, and NTSB reports on the reading table. 2-3 minutes later, a man came out to meet me, gave me his business card right away, listened to what I needed and left. 5 minutes later, I had new student certificate in my hands. The same man who met me initially, and gave me my new cert, asked me how did I like flying, etc.

So, if you have FSDO nearby, give it a shot.

Grounded for life.... You can't make a copy for use, but a phone call from somewhere with a fax machine will have a new Temporary Airman's Certificate in your hands within a matter of a few minutes. If you plan on going to the FSDO in person to pick it up, call first, you need an appointment these days.

I agree with Henning. Once you lose a pilot certificate it can never be replaced, and sadly your flying days are over permanently. Too bad. There is always roller derby!

:D

They can fax you one. My instructor is a Southwest captain and told me that. You just have to find the right person to call.

Not many years ago I was racing the Solomon's wednesday night races with a delta767 captain on his sailboat. I happened to be standing next to him at the helm, the other guys were on deck. It was a light air race and we were barely moving. We considered throwing out the anchor at one point to keep from going backwards. Top speed in that race was 3 kts maybe. We were in the lead. All of a sudden, his wallet drops out of his pocket when he stands up. It plops in the water. He takes one look back, mumbles something about his pilot's license and flying tomorrow, and jumps off the rail fully clothed and goes diving after the wallet.

I grabbed the helm and proceeded to tack, but we were going so slow he was actually swimming faster than the boat! We won that race, too.

Calm down.

Breathe.

You're welcome.

That is awesome! I had no idea that capability existed.

For all the complaining we do about the FAA, I have to say that they really have a very useful Web site.

I believe they'll also fax a temporary Medical Cert as well. So, if you're ever traveling and get a hankering to fly but left everything at home...this could be a valid option. Combine this with an electronic copy of your logbook on phone or tablet, and you're good to go.

Found this thread from 5 years back: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-15287.html
Everskyward said:
If you go to the FAA site you can request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges. They will send you an e-mail stating you have a current certificate and medical. You need to create an account first, however.

The e-mail arrives instantly and is good for 60 days.

You may request temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges of a valid airman and/or medical certificate or verification of an expired flight instructor certificate in the form of a facsimile (FAX) or e-mail. This authority will be valid for 60 days pending receipt of a permanent replacement certificate or reinstatement of an expired flight instructor certificate. Only one (1) on-line request for temporary authority can be obtained within any six (6) month period.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/

I agree with Henning. Once you lose a pilot certificate it can never be replaced, and sadly your flying days are over permanently. Too bad. There is always roller derby!

And I was just gonna post all my derby gear on Craigslist to make some extra money for flying. Shoot.

Oh and I FOUND IT. Thank goodness. But on a funny note, the FSDO did not call me back (and I'd guess they won't ever since I left a message on the "general voicemail box")

And I was just gonna post all my derby gear on Craigslist to make some extra money for flying. Shoot.

Oh and I FOUND IT. Thank goodness. But on a funny note, the FSDO did not call me back (and I'd guess they won't ever since I left a message on the "general voicemail box")

Check the issue date on it compared to the issue date on the FAA airmen database. If they don't match trash it and do what I said to do in the beginning...

Check the issue date on it compared to the issue date on the FAA airmen database. If they don't match trash it and do what I said to do in the beginning...

Ok let me check, and, thanks again. (though the date says the day of my check ride, Aug 28, so that seems like a good sign)

Done.

Personal Information

KIMBERLY ANNE

Medical Medical Class: First, Medical Date: 1/2011

Date of Issue: 8/28/2011
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT

People please! I'm a brunette with green eyes! That other crap is just hair dye since the BF likes blondes. I'd rather be a red head but he wins.

People please! I'm a brunette with green eyes! That other crap is just hair dye since the BF likes blondes. I'd rather be a red head but he wins.

:mad2: I've been married way too long, I had no idea that a man had any input on a woman's choice of hair color!:mad2: I learned to just say, "It looks great dear!" :D

Not many years ago I was racing the Solomon's wednesday night races with a delta767 captain on his sailboat. I happened to be standing next to him at the helm, the other guys were on deck. It was a light air race and we were barely moving. We considered throwing out the anchor at one point to keep from going backwards. Top speed in that race was 3 kts maybe. We were in the lead. All of a sudden, his wallet drops out of his pocket when he stands up. It plops in the water. He takes one look back, mumbles something about his pilot's license and flying tomorrow, and jumps off the rail fully clothed and goes diving after the wallet.

I grabbed the helm and proceeded to tack, but we were going so slow he was actually swimming faster than the boat! We won that race, too.

Did he get his wallet?

Back