help loading departure from KTMB on garmin 430

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
I know I'm missing something. I was trying to leaving KTMB and was given the Miami five departure. I've never had to load a departure before, but I was expecting it. I looked at it the night before and thought I knew how to do it.

The ground controller was very nice, but I had zero luck loading it. KTMB (departure airport) and KMCN (destination airport) were already loaded into the garmin flight plan. I pressed FPL, select departure and nothing. The screen changed and had KTMB at the top, but I didn't see any way to load the mia5 departure. I practiced on the 430 simulator for san diego and it worked fine.

We were supposed to depart runway 9L, but I couldn't find any way to make any choices. Ended up leaving VFR. What did I miss?

Was the nav database up to date? Looking at the departure it's a very simple one. Not sure why you canceled IFR.

the weird thing is when I loaded the departures for KTMB, it had "none" for the three boxes. When I selected KMIA as the departure airport, it allows me to select the SID. I know my database was up to date b/c I loaded it before my trip. I may ask my CFI to take a look at it with me. Thanks, Randy.

Was the nav database up to date? Looking at the departure it's a very simple one. Not sure why you canceled IFR.

I loaded it on foreflight and saw it was pretty straightforward. I just couldn't get it to load in the 430. It was extremely clear VFR day. I knew I could have ground spell out the departure for me, but I didn't want to bog him down when it wasn't necessary.

I'm confused as to what the Garmin 430 would do for you in this instance.

Looking at the MIA.5 departure it states:

TAKEOFF RWY 9L: Climb heading 093° to 800 before turning right, thence . . .
maintain 2000 or assigned higher altitude and expect vectors to appropriate

Did they give you a transition as well? If so which one?

I'm confused as to what the Garmin 430 would do for you in this instance.

Looking at the MIA.5 departure it states:

TAKEOFF RWY 9L: Climb heading 093° to 800 before turning right, thence . . .
maintain 2000 or assigned higher altitude and expect vectors to appropriate

Did they give you a transition as well? If so which one?

IIRC, it was the WINCO transition. I just got kinda frustrated about the situation, and I didn't want to risk any issues.

I tried it on a 430w sim and got the same thing you did. No departures selectable. I also cannot see what the problem was. DHP is your first waypoint. WINCO is your next waypoint. If it did load, thats what you would get. KTMB DHP WINCO. Why would you have ground spell it out for you? You said your frustration was loading it in the 430, not that you didn't have the chart available. You really have me scratching my head on this one. Out of KMIA, the MIAMI5 departure is not selectable in 430w sim I am using. There is a WINCO2 though. Is that the one you meant when said it loaded with KMIA as the departure airport??

Back