Hello

IlyaK18

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
IlyaK18
Hello, I am new to the forum. I plan to be starting my flight training in a couple weeks. I have a few flight schools in mind, but if anyone can recommend something nice on Long Island or a neighboring area , that would be great ! Thank You

Nice and Long Island don't belong in the same sentence lol. Welcome BTW.:)

Nice and Long Island don't belong in the same sentence lol. Welcome BTW.:)
Do you know any good places within reasonable driving distance ? Maybe somewhere in Connecticut, New Jersey. Thanks !

I currently rent out of Ventura at Farmingdale KFRG. I don't have experience with their training program, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the operation in general. Nice planes, working online scheduling and generally a very professional atmosphere.

Welcome. Send a PM to Aviatrix. Caitlin just got her PPL flying around there. She really liked her instructor.

go to Nassau Flyers. they have great planes and top instructors. i did my instrument there and im going to do commercial training. the owner is awesome and the people are super friendly! i cannot recommend them enough.

I went to Long Island Aviators after starting at Nassau Flyers. I had issues with them, specifically scheduling. It almost made me quit. If you're planning to be in the 152, LIA's is nicer and won't be gone to West Point for two weeks in the spring. They don't charge for extra ground like NFI, just time in the plane. You just have to get over they don't have a nice website like Ventura or NFI because they are older men teaching for fun.

Welcome Ilya. I am in Arkansas, so not much help. Good luck and enjoy the learning.

Nice to see more NYers flying. Judging by your name, we can start Russian Flying Mafia! lol

Republic is probably going to be the most convenient to train out of then.

I was considering Groton CT. Because I want to minimize the time on the ground, at FRG you'll end up paying a lot for ground time while waiting for traffic. Also the time it takes to get to the training area. I dont mind driving far, I Just dont want to sit on the ground in the plane with the engine on .

I'd look at Danbury before Groton but Islip might work as well. Today was the 1st time that I really sat on the ground at FRG but it was bad, about 54 minutes from startup to departure :(

Usually its pretty quick, you may half to hold 5 mins at the hold short line

I'd look at Danbury before Groton but Islip might work as well. Today was the 1st time that I really sat on the ground at FRG but it was bad, about 54 minutes from startup to departure :(

Usually its pretty quick, you may half to hold 5 mins at the hold short line

Danbury seems to be on the pricey side. Thanks for the advice tho. And wow 54 mins , doesnt surprise me about FRG lol

Hooray for Brooklyn!

I trained in LDJ. Fast ride, but pricey due to tolls.

If you can be flexible with your schedule, FRG is just fine. If you end up being there during rush hour, it can be anything.
My favorite was "extend downwind, you're number 7 behind a gulfstream, maintain high speed a Citation is behind you" :)

Back