Hello...

jetedrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JT
...new to this message board, working on my private pilot's license out of KCBF.

Working on purchasing a PA28-140 or 180 however it seems harder than I thought to find a plane that hasn't been run into something or is missing logs or just outright seems shady online.

Anywho, ran across this board from my search somehow and figured I'd register and say hi, seems like a good group of folks.

Do we have many people from Omaha, NE or the midwest?

Hey JT, welcome! Don't settle for anything less than the 180 hp engine on that PA28 and keep looking. You'll find the right plane with patience and a good pre-buy inspection.

Good luck on your PPL!

...new to this message board, working on my private pilot's license out of KCBF.

Working on purchasing a PA28-140 or 180 however it seems harder than I thought to find a plane that hasn't been run into something or is missing logs or just outright seems shady online.

Anywho, ran across this board from my search somehow and figured I'd register and say hi, seems like a good group of folks.

Howdy, Buying a bird takes time and patience.... NE seems to be VERY represented on this board.

It would be great to meet more people out here who enjoy general aviation, would be even better to meet some students who I can talk with about my flying woes. None of my friends out here fly...yet.

Also on the plane, I am looking hard at a 140/160 that is local and one that is out of Colorado.

DavidWhite and Jesse not far from you (down in Lincoln). Two good folk that can aid you in your flying career.

I'm just down the road too at LNK, welcome! Been into CBF many times.

Taters, Geico, and Captain Jack are also in Lincoln - DaleB is in Omaha and flies out of Millard.

Impressive, happy to know there are a few locals here...hope to get to know more. I am about 8 hours into my private pilot license and hope to finish it out before the year ends.

MarkL as well. About 4 of us are flight instructors so if you have questions, let us know!

I have an impressive amount of questions all the time...

I do my best to be "self-taught" and go through the research and reading that comes with learning something but sometimes things are hard to understand until it is explained a different way...then it clicks.

I look forward to picking at your knowledge, thanks!

There is a very clean looking Cherokee 180 for sale here at Russellville, AR. They are asking $33K I believe. If we aren't too far away for you to be interested, let me now and I get some details for you. I haven't paid much attention to it but there is a poster on the bulletin board that I could scan and email.

We are probably about a 10 to 12 hour drive from Omaha (6 hrs non-stop from KC).

Thanks for the friendly welcome!

As for the 180, I will wait and see how things go with this local plane and if need be look elsewhere. Thanks for lookin out.

Personally I will say that I am tired of looking at different planes, lots for sale, some probably shouldn't be...

There is a very clean looking Cherokee 180 for sale here at Russellville, AR. They are asking $33K I believe. If we aren't too far away for you to be interested, let me now and I get some details for you. I haven't paid much attention to it but there is a poster on the bulletin board that I could scan and email.

We are probably about a 10 to 12 hour drive from Omaha (6 hrs non-stop from KC).

If it is a D model or later, I might be interested... If you get details, please forward them to me.

Thanks!!

Personally I will say that I am tired of looking at different planes, lots for sale, some probably shouldn't be...

But that is also part of the learning curve... You'll kick lots of tires and look at lots of advertisements before you find the right one. But then you'll really know, you did find the right one for a good price.

Plus, as you gain experience, your idea of what particular airframe you want will change. At first, you might not be happy with anything less thank a Gulfstream. But later you realize that low and slow is more what you want so you get the Cub or the Champ and couldn't be happier.

Two 180s for sale at KFCM.

LOL what is a "real plane"?

Welcome to POA...

A word of warning..... Geico is one of those " idiots" that fly those crazy experimental planes....

He is one of those people your parents warned you about..:yes::D

Welcome!

Go with the 180 and thank me later. :yes:

Just wonderin'....since you don't need to climb over anything higher than a cornfield out there why not get a 140 horse??? :dunno: :D

Just kidding. Welcome aboard. The 180 horse will give you a good versatile machine that is economic to fly. Good Luck.

Hey, the corn grows tall here! I actually moved here in 2007 from the east coast (Newport News, VA) so I don't know much about the area...just got a job that didn't require me to travel all the time. I like it here, middle of the country, good schools for my son, low crime rate...and corn.

I am also working on getting to know more locals...

Flying over corn isn't the problem, it's how many buddies you want to take with you while you do it. A 140 isn't a real good 4 person plane but if it's just you and another person and a bag or two, go for it.

Very true...right now I don't plan on flying more than myself and one other...

Never know though.

Flying over corn isn't the problem, it's how many buddies you want to take with you while you do it. A 140 isn't a real good 4 person plane but if it's just you and another person and a bag or two, go for it.

plus the 180 gives you a baggage door.

Hey JT, welcome! Don't settle for anything less than the 180 hp engine on that PA28 and keep looking. You'll find the right plane with patience and a good pre-buy inspection.

Good luck on your PPL!

Alan isn't kidding! Come on out to Lincoln and fly the 180 and 140 side by side - it'll be an easy choice which breed to buy.

Alan isn't kidding! Come on out to Lincoln and fly the 180 and 140 side by side - it'll be an easy choice which breed to buy.

Not all 140s are 140s. They still aren't 180s but an engine up rate to 160 HP and a prop tip mod that turns beating up the air into thrust that acts like another 10 HP can greatly improve performance and still cost less than a 180. MTOW will still be the same 2150 and it won't have a baggage door but the interesting moments on take off and climb are done away with. Top speed ~ 125 kts.

Would it be like a Cessna 150 to a 172? I decided not to go back to a 150 due to the whole being cramped into a can hanging under a wing.

I am still looking for the right plane, the one I looked at today in Blair was okay, needs paint, new wing tips, and a few other small things. It is very airworthy, has a nice interior, is IFR certified (for now), has a Piper autopilot coupled to a KLN 89B GPS, low engine time SMOH, and has a 160hp engine.

Back