Hello from Galesburg, Illinois! (KGBG)

Tim Brown

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Timmer at KGBG
Just gained membership here. Thank you!

Recently decided to start up flying...after getting ONE hour of training at Macomb (KMQB) 25 years ago. *Still* have my flight log with that entry! Filing for my student license, getting my medical records ready. Got a couple issues but I think I'll make it. 69 years old is *not* too late!

I wanna fly!

Got a bunch of books, scanning them as I watch a multitude of YouTube vids by CFIs. Trying to learn groundschool stuff before I spend lots of money on actual air lessons. Figuring it'll go better that way...and, it's better to find out now if I'm up to groundschool studies.

Following a bit in my late dad's footsteps...he got within a hair's breath of getting his license but somehow *misplaced his logbook*!

Thinking of investing in a "decent" flight sim for home. Figure it'll help to some extent even though they aren't loggable.

Anyway, That's me. Thanks for letting me on board!

Tim

Recently decided to start up flying...after getting ONE hour of training at Macomb (KMQB) 25 years ago. *Still* have my flight log with that entry! Filing for my student license, getting my medical records ready. Got a couple issues but I think I'll make it. 69 years old is *not* too late!

I wanna fly!

Got a bunch of books, scanning them as I watch a multitude of YouTube vids by CFIs. Trying to learn groundschool stuff before I spend lots of money on actual air lessons. Figuring it'll go better that way...and, it's better to find out now if I'm up to groundschool studies.

Following a bit in my late dad's footsteps...he got within a hair's breath of getting his license but somehow *misplaced his logbook*!

Thinking of investing in a "decent" flight sim for home. Figure it'll help to some extent even though they aren't loggable.

Tim
Welcome. And greetings from Peoria.

Welcome from CMI!

I'll never forget the first time I flew into Galesburg...I was on short final and saw that derelict control tower... about gave me a heart attack thinking I had bumbled into a controlled airport without talking to the tower. Double checked my chart and my radios... didn't feel safe until I got out at the fuel pump and saw the tower was missing some windows and quite obviously hadn't been used in some time.

Welcome from DPA / 06C! I did my instrument XC to GBG during the covid early days.

Welcome from UGN!
Get your medical and go for it!
The PPL is easier than you think.

Welcome from CMI!

I'll never forget the first time I flew into Galesburg...I was on short final and saw that derelict control tower... about gave me a heart attack thinking I had bumbled into a controlled airport without talking to the tower. Double checked my chart and my radios... didn't feel safe until I got out at the fuel pump and saw the tower was missing some windows and quite obviously hadn't been used in some time.

Yes. It's not what it was. The airport used to be a terminal for Ozark Airlines. They left a number of decades ago. I was out there a number of days ago to talk with the CFI. It appears they use the old building for storage.

Sad to see this.

When I start lessons, I'll prolly go over to Peoria and Bradley Aviation Club. Looks less expensive.

69 years old is *not* too late!
No, it’s not too late. Just remember that it does require some accommodation. You won’t be nearly as quick to learn as those twenty-somethings you’ll be surrounded by.

Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

I wanna fly!

Tim
Welcome to POA

When I start lessons, I'll prolly go over to Peoria and Bradley Aviation Club. Looks less expensive.

Welcome! I did my initial training at Moline and did my PPL and IR checkrides at Burlington. I was in a club in Moline - Flying Country Club (flyingcountryclub.com) - that might be worth researching. Looks like they've downsized the fleet since I was there (c. 2000). At that time we had a 152, 172, PA28-180, PA28-181, 177RG, and 210. Now it looks like they're down to three planes - including the PA28-181 that I have some time in.

Welcome aboard.
I passed my 3 rd class medical at age 79 and bought a 172 to play with.
Now 82 and went basic med . I started in 1970 but family,farm and finances, the the 3F's of flying got to me .
Decided at age 79 it was time to getter done .
Never too late.

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Warning - before you apply for a medical, meet with an Aviation Medical Examiner for a consultation just in case. If he finds you have some condition or medication that will be a problem, you can get a Sport Pilot certificate without having an FAA medical; a driver’s license is all the medical necessary. You might be surprised what can trip up a medical.

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Warning - before you apply for a medical, meet with an Aviation Medical Examiner for a consultation just in case. If he finds you have some condition or medication that will be a problem, you can get a Sport Pilot certificate without having an FAA medical; a driver’s license is all the medical necessary. You might be surprised what can trip up a medical.

Yes. I've been thinking of doing just that. Thank you!

Back