Hello and a Question (already)

Kyle46

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kyle46
Just wanted to introduce myself, say hi, and thanks for the support and info that I have seen so far on here. I do have a question that I hope won't ruffle anyone's feathers. I am an A & P (not practicing at this momement) and have have some flight time under my belt (was in aviation for 10 years prior). I have a job that may require me to move to the Chicago area and well, I have a family and a wife that can't move due to her job here in MSP. I know there were a few attempts from startups to make an Uber for private pilots but the FAA shot it down. But if I were to find someone builiding time, maybe working toward airline hours, could I potentially SPLIT the operating costs with them if they were to fly me to a Chicago area airport for work once or twice a week? To me this in no way is breaking any regs, in my opinon that is. Thanks for the help.

So long they are not making money and you are splitting flying expense like fuel, oil, think they are good. But wait for more experienced people to chime in

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes, as I understand the regs, that is completely legal

If the pilot wouldn't otherwise be making the flights (destination and time), I would say it is not legal since there is no common purpose. The FAA could say the pilot was operating a money-losing air taxi service.

no common purpose
That's what always scared me out of these arrangements. Splitting all costs is one thing, but the common purpose is another.

Thanks all. Common Purpose is the thing to watch out for. I guess just asking around and seeing if some per chance is flying to Chicago is the way to go. I wish the feds would lighten up on you stick wigglers. I bet a ton of great low hours pilots are out there just waiting for a break and I think establishing a travel board where flight are posted and costs are split "pro rata" would be a great way to infuse some life back into GA. Thats just my humble opinion.

Pro rata sharing of expenses is limited by the FAA's 'common purpose' test, which requires the private pilot and all expense-sharing passengers to share a genuine common purpose for their travel. That is, the pilot must need to get to the same destination(s) as the passengers for the same reasons.

Pro rata sharing of expenses is limited by the FAA's 'common purpose' test, which requires the private pilot and all expense-sharing passengers to share a genuine common purpose for their travel. That is, the pilot must need to get to the same destination(s) as the passengers for the same reasons.

Wrong.

You do not need to be going to the same destination for the very same reason. You both just must have your own valid reasons for going to the same destination and the pilot's reason cannot just be to transport the passenger(s).

Practical world - hand the pilot the cash for the pro rata costs, and keep your yaps shut about it. The FAA probably has bigger fish to fry than you and a pilot doing a run to a Cubs game. Or the Sox. Or Bears. Or the Bulls, a concert, a museum visit, or a zilllion other things that'll be in the paper the weeks before each trip. If you don't advertise it, or make an issue of it, no one is likely to care.

As long as the pilot has a regular craving for genuine Chicago Dogs, shouldn't be a problem.

Back