Helllo from Iowa!

Thanks for the kind words. That piece was called "Final Flight", and was actually published (I've got a copy of the check framed!) in an aviation magazine called "The Flying Life". It was an under-funded, short-lived affair, sadly.

Hard to believe I used to feel driven to write that sort of thing for rec.aviation.

Blue skies!
Hopefully we'll soon be the beneficiaries of your silver quill!

Hi all;

I'm another refugee from Usenet and VERY glad to be here.

Hi Jay; glad you and the family made the switch. I see Montblack is here as well as many others who have followed.

How's the Ercoupe coming along?

I think all of us owe Bob Gardner a beer :))

I agree. I've always been a big fan of Bob and his training manuals. To see him leave usenet was the writing on the wall for me. Thanks Bob.

And speaking of beer, Montblack, and Jay Honeck, if anybody here makes it to OSH next month, be sure to stop by Jay and Mary Honeck's Piper 235 Pathfinder "Atlas" in the north 40 on Wednesday evening immediately after the airshow. Jay and Mary play host as Montblack, Jack Allison, my wife and myself arrange food and drink for members of various internet forums, newsgroups, and chats. Everybody is welcome.

Entry fee is usually a six pack of good local beer from your home area, Jay gives extra points if you can't see through it. Ground transportation is available for multiple trips to the Pic-n-Sav.

The past several years we've had great attendance, usually 40-60 people from all over the country. It's always fun to put faces with the names.

To find Jay's parking spot, simply inquire at the North 40 Info booth located by the Warbirds and refer to his N number N56993. Again, Wednesday evening after the airshow, North 40, N56993.

See you there!

Hi all;

I'm another refugee from Usenet and VERY glad to be here.

Hi Jay; glad you and the family made the switch. I see Montblack is here as well as many others who have followed.

How's the Ercoupe coming along?

I think all of us owe Bob Gardner a beer :))

Amen, Dudley! I love this place!

I'm still struggling with the interface, but it *does* have some cool features. The private "off-group" emails are cool -- I've received (and sent) several. And the ability to view only new posts is useful.

I still don't know where the "main" hang-out is, but I'll figger it out sooner or later. Thanks to you and Bob for steering us this-a-way!

Hey Jay and others - if there is a "main" hangout, it's probably Hangar Talk, but I and I think a lot of others usually just hit the "New Posts" button and read/respond from that list.
Welcome to you all!

I posted this when Montblack asked about a "main hangout". Greg pretty much echoed it above:
[post]312092[/post]

Amen, Dudley! I love this place!

I'm still struggling with the interface, but it *does* have some cool features. The private "off-group" emails are cool -- I've received (and sent) several. And the ability to view only new posts is useful.

I still don't know where the "main" hang-out is, but I'll figger it out sooner or later. Thanks to you and Bob for steering us this-a-way!

I'm using the instant notification email function. Works great for me. I'm also using the linear top to bottom style. You can view posts as they come in in order that way.

I think all of us should have done this 10 years ago :))

Hi Jay, welcome!

I have had your web site bookmarked forever but I haven't yet made it to Iowa City! I have got to stay there sometime -- it sounds like you have some pretty neat theme rooms! I graduated from the University of Dubuque and currently instruct in Neenah, WI (79C, 10 mi north of Oshkosh).

Hi Jay, welcome!

I have had your web site bookmarked forever but I haven't yet made it to Iowa City! I have got to stay there sometime -- it sounds like you have some pretty neat theme rooms! I graduated from the University of Dubuque and currently instruct in Neenah, WI (79C, 10 mi north of Oshkosh).

Neenah? My wife's aunt lives in Neenah, and we stayed with her for many years during OSH, before I learned to fly and bought an airplane. We always get together with her during OSH, still. (They come pick us up at the Hardees across from the North 40.)

I didn't know Neenah had an airport. My wife, Mary, thinks this must be the grass strip that the CAP used to take over during Oshkosh? Yes?

Anyway, I hope you can make it down here someday!

Neenah? My wife's aunt lives in Neenah, and we stayed with her for many years during OSH, before I learned to fly and bought an airplane. We always get together with her during OSH, still. (They come pick us up at the Hardees across from the North 40.)

I didn't know Neenah had an airport. My wife, Mary, thinks this must be the grass strip that the CAP used to take over during Oshkosh? Yes?

Anyway, I hope you can make it down here someday!
No, Neenah isn't a grass strip, but it's only about 20' wide, so it may seem like it! Check out http://www.airnav.com/airport/79C. (I have an aunt in Neenah, too!)

Hey Jay, another Iowan here, not too far to your south. I've cruised around your website and airport many times but never made it into the hotel yet. Glad to see you here!

Hey Jay, another Iowan here, not too far to your south. I've cruised around your website and airport many times but never made it into the hotel yet. Glad to see you here!

Hey, Ben -- what's new in Ottumwa? Did they re-roof the old hangar yet?

Haven't been down your way since last summer. You should come up and see our flood -- it's pretty impressive. Take a spin up over the Coralville Dam, and see what 40K cubic feet per second of water going over the top looks like!

Back