Helllo from Iowa!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Yep, yet another refugee from rec.aviation here, checking in on Pilots of America. I hope this forum is everything I've heard it is!

Just a little background: I'm 49 years old, earned my Private in '95 and have amassed a little over 1200 hours since. My wife, Mary, is also a pilot, as is my 17-year-old son, Joe. My 14 year-old daughter, Rebecca, will probably follow suit.

We are a 100% aviation family. In 2002 we purchased an old hotel in Iowa City, Iowa, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites, and have spent the last six years remodeling it into an aviation theme-suite hotel. We're located right next to Rwy 25 at Iowa City Municipal (KIOW), and cater to fly-in (and drive-in) guests from all over the world.

Each suite is decorated to reflect a different era of aviation history, from the Wright Brothers up through the modern era. We've had a lot of fun decorating the suites, and pride ourselves in their authenticity. We've flown everywhere, from coast-to-coast, in search of aviation artwork and memorabilia (it takes a LOT of "stuff" to fill two 3-story buildings!), and have had a blast doing it.

We own a '74 Piper Pathfinder (Cherokee 235) that we call "Atlas" -- cuz he can lift ANYTHING we can fit in the door. (Nothing like a 1460 pound useful load.) It's an honest 4-person plane, that'll do 140 knots all day long on car gas. We've been everywhere in Atlas, from California to North Carolina, and from Canada to Florida...

At the other end of the spectrum, we just purchased (with two partners) a '48 Ercoupe, which our kids will enjoy flying (and so will we!) once we get 'er done. We're putting on newly recovered wings, which need paint, etc., so it'll be another week or two...

Well, enough about me. I hope to learn more here about this crazy hobby that has taken over my life, and will be glad to help out any newbies if I can!

Blue skies...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
Ercoupe N94856
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Well, now I know exactly where to stay in Iowa... :D
Welcome, and thanks for the link! :D

Good lord, I think our population here has doubled in the last day and half with folks from this usenet thingy.

Welcome to the blue board, Jay! I think I'm going to have to come back to Iowa just to see this hotel of yours (not to mention the planes)!

Hey Jay, Welcome from Matt in Ames. Tony C here and I are the POA token glider guys. We fly power too when necessary. This is a nice community.

Congrats on the Ercoupe. Tony put me in the Greencastle Coupe last summer. What a hoot! Best airplane ever designed!

I'm a couple weeks from finishing a lengthy Fly Baby overhaul. Will drop in when I get er done.

MM

Welcome to the site, Jay! I used to enjoy your posts on rec.aviation.*, but I haven't been there in some time. I have, however, been a fan of our video section on your website! :yes:

Iowa isn't far from Gaston's... hope you can make it to our annual fly-in next year, so we can meet you in person!

Gaston's is great! My son and I flew down there a few years ago, and spent a terrific four days fishing/biking/eating.

Is the fly-in always the same weekend?

Howdy Jay..

I remember trading messages with you many moons ago (2000 I think) on AOPA's board when I moved to MUT and was working on my PPL at MLI. Glad to have you aboard here on PoA! Always nice to have yet another Iowan here. ;)

Welcome Jay! Glad you finally found your way here. How is the hotel biz doing?

I left the whole USENET thing a while ago. It seemed like it was all spam.

Iowa isn't far from Gaston's... hope you can make it to our annual fly-in next year, so we can meet you in person!

I went looking for info on the fly-in and couldn't find it. Can you point me to where I can find out about it? I may or may not be able to make it, since I've got another commitment the first weekend in June (the Siouxland Renaissance Festival in Sioux Falls, SD), but if it's on the second weekend, it's a possibility.

Welcome, Jay...at this rate, everyone I care about reading on rec.aviation.* will be here soon.

Hi Jay! Welcome to POA. We've traded a few emails/post exchanges some years ago on rec.aviation - glad to see you here; I think you'll like it here.

Well, now I know exactly where to stay in Iowa... :D

Yep! I stayed there a couple of years ago on a long x-country. Great place. Jay's website also hosts the world's best collection of aviation videos.

Hi, Jay! Welcome. How's the skiing on Mt. Baldy?

Regards,
Joe

Hi Jay,

Welcome!! You can find out more about the fly-in here.

Looks like a cool hotel. Maybe we can meet this summer. I'll be peddling through North Liberty for RAGBRAI.

Hi, Jay.

I always enjoyed your posts "over there." I am looking forward to the day (in the not too distant future) when I can come and visit.

Yep, yet another refugee from rec.aviation here, checking in on Pilots of America. I hope this forum is everything I've heard it is!]

Hello Jay. I just checked in yesterday and was delighted to learn that most of the decent people we knew on r.a.p. are here. Dudley is prominent in the
training section.

rod madsen

I went looking for info on the fly-in and couldn't find it. Can you point me to where I can find out about it? I may or may not be able to make it, since I've got another commitment the first weekend in June (the Siouxland Renaissance Festival in Sioux Falls, SD), but if it's on the second weekend, it's a possibility.

Welcome, Jay...at this rate, everyone I care about reading on rec.aviation.* will be here soon.

Jay go to the "Cool Places to fly " Forum there you can get info on POA's main flyins, The Wings FLYBQ, Gastons and 6Y9er and the Glidathon if Tony decides to have it.

Hello from DBQ! I did not know about your hotel in Iowa City. We'll have to stop by. This is the first and only board I have ever been a part of...I guess I found what I was looking for and never had to go anywhere else. Now I need to go check out your site... By the way it's always good to welcome another Iowain to POA;)

Welcome aboard Jay, and you do have a very nice hotel. I got "The Red Baron Suite" the last time I was passing through. I spent half the evening looking at pictures on the wall and in the hall!

Barb

Hi Jay and welcome!

I recognize your name from the Cherokee board. This is a nice place and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself!

Gary

Hi Tim,

Yep -- we'll be attending OSH, God willin' and the crik don't rise! (This year, literally!)

This will be 26 in a row for me... Hope to see you there!

Thanks, Barb -- glad you enjoyed it! The Red Baron Suite isn't my favorite theme (I like the Blackbird Suite best), but it's my favorite suite for layout, design, and view of the airport environment. That balcony overlooking Rwy 25 is hard to beat!

So far POA has been great! Glad we found it...

Blue skies...

Hello from DBQ! I did not know about your hotel in Iowa City. We'll have to stop by. This is the first and only board I have ever been a part of...I guess I found what I was looking for and never had to go anywhere else. Now I need to go check out your site... By the way it's always good to welcome another Iowain to POA;)

Hi Scott -- Stop by any time! We've got the American Barnstormers coming to Iowa City next weekend, so if you like the Golden Age of Flight biplanes, swing on over next Sunday for our fly-in breakfast!

I see you teach helicopters? My 17 year old son, Joe, earned his Private last fall, and has been accepted by ROTC at the U of Iowa. He hopes to become a helicopter pilot with the Army after graduation in 2012...

Blue skies....

Yeah, there seem to be a lot of us here from the r.a.* groups. A bit of a shame, really, that they degenerated like they did.

Yeah, there seem to be a lot of us here from the r.a.* groups. A bit of a shame, really, that they degenerated like they did.

Hey, I'm a refugee from R.A.P.. What a total wasteland that has become, between Berthole and MX.

Hey, Jay... I just happened to notice this when I went to the PoA home page:

Welcome to our newest member, Bertie the Bunyip.

I'm not going to presume to speak for the other Jay, but AFAIC, he's welcome as long as he sticks to talking about flying and not the personality conflicts that have made rec.aviation.piloting a vast wasteland.

Hello Jay,

Good to see you here too. See you for the PARTY!

Marc

Hey, Jay... I just happened to notice this when I went to the PoA home page:

Nothing wrong with that -- so long as he actually keeps a civil tongue in his head, and occasionally talks about flying!

;)

Welcome, folks.

Just a gentle comment about how the management group sees the board when talking about others - we try to keep this board like one's front porch... that means we discourage name calling and similar comments that get too personal. That said, we also believe in using the minimum amount of moderation necessary to make this place remain a nice place.

Pull up a chair and join in the fun!

Hi Jay,

I've just joined here too. Haven't read R.A.P much in the past few months and think I haven't even posted there maybe twice in the past 3 years or so. The signal-to-noise ratio there has just been too much a waste of time. I may try to make it to the Saturday pre-Osh party again this year, but am uncertain as of today since I will be carrying two PAX to help split fuel costs. If I come, I'll bring lots more of that Windthorst German/TexMex sausage again.

Neal

Hi Jay,

I've just joined here too. Haven't read R.A.P much in the past few months and think I haven't even posted there maybe twice in the past 3 years or so. The signal-to-noise ratio there has just been too much a waste of time. I may try to make it to the Saturday pre-Osh party again this year, but am uncertain as of today since I will be carrying two PAX to help split fuel costs. If I come, I'll bring lots more of that Windthorst German/TexMex sausage again.

Neal

Sounds great, Neal! Just let me know your plans as they firm up, and we'll make it all work...

Re: Hello from Iowa!

Welcome aboard Jay, and you do have a very nice hotel. I got "The Red Baron Suite" the last time I was passing through. I spent half the evening looking at pictures on the wall and in the hall!

Barb
What a coincidence! I had that room too! I got weathered in on the way to OSH in 2006 and spent the night. Several other pilots on the way to OSH stayed there too. It was great looking out at the runway from the balcony!

Welcome aboard, Jay and everyone else too!

Jay, I know I've seen your site before because of some of the videos/stories. Last time I went looking for "Last Flight of the Blue Bird" I couldn't find it. (I think I ended up getting it off archive.org or something.) That was a touching story. If I ever make it to IOW, I know where I'll be staying. :yes:

Hey Jay,

I'm learning this new forum's interface - while watching "When We Left Earth The NASA Missions" on HD on Demand.

Montblack
Another rec.aviation.* refugee

Hi Jay, so this is where you landed? Nice to see you. I've been a member of your "Rogues Gallery" since early on, though I've graduated to a four seat high-winger since the days the pics were posted. Glad to hear the Inn is doing well. I've been to Iowa the past four years in a row but have yet to make it down. Will have to change that soon enough. Take care.

Greg

Welcome aboard, Jay and everyone else too!

Jay, I know I've seen your site before because of some of the videos/stories. Last time I went looking for "Last Flight of the Blue Bird" I couldn't find it. (I think I ended up getting it off archive.org or something.) That was a touching story. If I ever make it to IOW, I know where I'll be staying. :yes:

Thanks for the kind words. That piece was called "Final Flight", and was actually published (I've got a copy of the check framed!) in an aviation magazine called "The Flying Life". It was an under-funded, short-lived affair, sadly.

Hard to believe I used to feel driven to write that sort of thing for rec.aviation.

Blue skies!

Back