Helicopter Questions

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
So as you guys may or may not know, I recently started a new job. The first week went really well and I think I have a winner to stay with for a while to come.

That being said, I have been asked to do some sensor testing from a helicopter in my second week with the company and that's outside of my wheelhouse being a drone pilot first and PPL ASEL second.

1) How difficult/common is it to remove the doors on a helicopter and does it require an A&P approval or preparation to do so?

2) Do most/any helicopters have a non-pilot window or opening by default that is able to be opened for a sensor to look through it in flight?

3) I'm looking at an altitude of less than 500ft AGL for testing purposes over sites. Are there any special rules that exist for this kind of operation?

4) We're planning on carrying a car battery along to power the rig, would that cause any issues/be frowned upon by operators?

Dunno 'bout the chopper specific questions, but helicopters are exempt from the minimum safe altitudes in 91.119. I doubt an operator would be happy about carrying a wet car battery, but a sealed battery like an Odyssey or one of those car jump starting packs would probably be OK, and easier to handle, too, since they can work in any position.

asked to do some sensor testing from a helicopter in my second week with the company
What model helicopter? What type sensor? Is it anything like magnetic surveying work?
1) How difficult/common is it to remove the doors on a helicopter and does it require an A&P approval or preparation to do so?
Depends on model and if the operator has a program for pilots to perform certain maintenance.
2) Do most/any helicopters have a non-pilot window or opening by default that is able to be opened for a sensor to look through it in flight?
Same as above what helicopter and what sensor?
3) I'm looking at an altitude of less than 500ft AGL for testing purposes over sites. Are there any special rules that exist for this kind of operation?
Depends on operator permissions and certificate.
4) We're planning on carrying a car battery along to power the rig, would that cause any issues/be frowned upon by operators?
Depends on operator policy or certificate. Have separate batteries been carried in helicopters? Yes.

Just make sure everything won't fall out of the open door and everything else is just details...

Most light helicopters are designed to be operated with doors removed. It's one of the major utility features of being able to fly low and slow.

Sounds like fun!

Back