Helicopter Elites

The pilot's got skills. But it's the other guys who are undercompensated! Did you see the portion where the guy on the building had his arm between the two pieces going together?

He must have to fly quite carefully to keep the load from getting a swing / oscillation going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He must have to fly quite carefully to keep the load from getting a swing / oscillation going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think the pendulum effect would help minimize that, but clearly incredibly accurate flying! Up and down would be critical, as well as side to side. Look at how far away the pilot is looking!

Amazing!

Meh, I've done that before. :yes:

I mean being on the ground and hooking up a sling load. :goofy:

Does something pull down on the cables once threaded into the holes?
I wonder how many bolts have to be tightened before the helo gets waved off?
And do they start climbing to the top to accept the next section right away so as to minimize helo waiting time?

Jeeze those guys don't even have epaulets :rolleyes:

Something like that load there has quite a bit of drag, that helps dampen the swinging. Things that are very heavy in relation to the amount of surface area, something like a solid concrete weight, will have more swing than something hollow.

Interestingly, if you get the helicopter over the load at precisely the right time, you can actually bring the pendulum to a dead stop where it's at. Some people are masters at this and can fly quite aggressively without ever losing positive control of the load.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPO9pVwoxVg . Notice how the helicopter ends up on top of the load right as the load is about to reverse it's swing, causing the load to just drop straight down.

Up and down would be critical, as well as side to side. Look at how far away the pilot is looking!

It's quite difficult with the bottom of the load that far away if there are no shadows (due to do the weather conditions, or due to where you're placing it). He was likely getting radio or hand signals to help.

Back