Helicopter Bell 206B crash Fresno (video)

Weird that it seems to fall straight down. In an autorotation procedure they should be moving for aerodynamic lift, correct?
That said it looks pretty bad and I'm glad they survived. Though their vertebrae likely felt it a bit I'm sure.

Weird that it seems to fall straight down. In an autorotation procedure they should be moving for aerodynamic lift, correct?
That said it looks pretty bad and I'm glad they survived. Though their vertebrae likely felt it a bit I'm sure.

Based on their rotation, this probably wasn’t a full blown auto. Most likely still had some power/collective applied. Like the Taliban Black Hawk crash posted recently, if you lose tail rotor thrust at a high hover and you don’t immediately enter an auto, it’s gonna get ugly quick. If you enter a vertical auto, you can maintain rotor rpm if high enough. The problem with a vertical auto is without forward speed, you don’t have the ability to arrest the descent with aft cyclic (flare). Hence the reason for the avoidance range in the performance section of the flight manual.

Back