Helicopter Add on to CFI

dillardrg

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Dillard
Used 14 CFR 61-73(G)(3) to add on Rotorcraft Helicopter to my CFII-ME certificate this week.

Last edited:
So I'm curious, does that mean you're automatically a helicopter CFI doing this? How many hours did it take?

So I'm curious, does that mean you're automatically a helicopter CFI doing this? How many hours did it take?

That is a copy of his temporary CFI certificate. That implies to me that he already had a helicopter license before taking this checkride. :)

I hold an ATP Airplane Multi-Engine Land; Rotorcraft Helicopter Certificate with
Commercial Privileges Airplane Single-Engine Land and Sea

I hold an ATP Airplane Multi-Engine Land; Rotorcraft Helicopter Certificate with
You're going to need a really tiny font on your business card, and free jeweler's loupes with your name on them as freebie handouts. :)

Ah awesome, makes more sense now. I'm just starting out on my rotorcraft add-on.

An R22 and R44.

Not sure about your circumstances, but I'd focus on one or the other before getting rated, then do the transition. Going from 22 to 44 takes about 5 hours, and can be done at a fairly low price here.

Not sure about your circumstances, but I'd focus on one or the other before getting rated, then do the transition. Going from 22 to 44 takes about 5 hours, and can be done at a fairly low price here.

I'll be doing it predominantly in the R22, I just have a unique opportunity available to me to have access to both.

I flew the Hughes 269c. The poor little lycoming sounded like it was ripping it's guts out but I liked it better than the r22. I hope to add the instrument and CFI As well. Lots of fun.

The 269C (also called 300C) is a nice machine. Even though you have to work harder compared to the R22 due to no governor, it will teach you how to control the throttle manually which will transfer to "no governor" practice in the R22. It will also teach you to worry about and combat ground resonance (to which the R22 is immune). Its drawback is that it's too gentle and too easy to fly compared to the R22, since the latter is a lot quirkier and harder to auto due to low rotor energy and is susceptible to the infamous and deadly "mast bumping" (to which the 300C is immune).
You could learn to fly starting from either one, and each has its advantages (learning-wise) per above, but assuming equal availability, I would recommend starting with the R22 and transitioning to the 300C if/when needed, probably after the R44. Both 300C and R44 should be easy transitions for the R22 pilot.

Here is a cool H269 video from Rio. A bit dated, but one of the best IMO, esp. if you like Portuguese. :)

Last edited:
The 269C (also called 300C) is a nice machine. Even though you have to work harder compared to the R22 due to no governor, it will teach you how to control the throttle manually which will transfer to "no governor" practice in the R22. It will also teach you to worry about and combat ground resonance (to which the R22 is immune). Its drawback is that it's too gentle and too easy to fly compared to the R22, since the latter is a lot quirkier and harder to auto due to low rotor energy and is susceptible to the infamous and deadly "mast bumping" (to which the 300C is immune).
You could learn to fly starting from either one, and each has its advantages (learning-wise) per above, but assuming equal availability, I would recommend starting with the R22 and transitioning to the 300C if/when needed, probably after the R44. Both 300C and R44 should be easy transitions for the R22 pilot.

Here is a cool H269 video from Rio. A bit dated, but one of the best IMO, esp. if you like Portuguese. :)

Good advice I think. I soloed in the r22 a couple of years ago. Didn't finish due to finances. This time around I flew the 269c. Since finishing I have mostly flown jet rangers with a few hours in a Huey. Overall I think flying both the 22 and 269 in training made for a well rounded foundation. I will say that both aircraft have low inertia rotor systems with the 22 being critically low.

Ah awesome, makes more sense now. I'm just starting out on my rotorcraft add-on.

The add on is lots of fun. I just finished mine last fall. What are you flying?

An R22 and R44.

I'll be doing it predominantly in the R22, I just have a unique opportunity available to me to have access to both.

In that case, it's perfect. :)

So today was my first official lesson after having a quick 30min intro last week in the R44, did a quick spin and the instructor was shocked in the first half hour of flying I was perfect straight and level, climbs and descents, turns, etc, so she wanted to see if I could pull off hovering. In fifteen minutes I was hovering, had me do an exercise hovering around the wind sock and keeping the nose pointed at the pole, and then had me taxi across the field and land. The owner of the flight school was in complete disbelief and ran out filming me lol

Definitely doing my add-on, should have it pretty quick. Flying a helicopter is much more entertaining than putting around in my Diamond, I think aerobatics and helicopters is where it's at.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 6
I am sure you'll keep discovering more things you love. For me it was 180 degree autos, confined landings and max performance (vertical) takeoffs. And I guess quick-stops are great fun too. :)
Great job so far!

I am sure you'll keep discovering more things you love. For me it was 180 degree autos, confined landings and max performance (vertical) takeoffs. And I guess quick-stops are great fun too. :)
Great job so far!

Yeah, it's a blast, I enjoy how engaged it requires you to be. Until I can find the perfect Extra 300 to buy in the next few months this will definitely hold me over.

I prefer the 300C I learned to fly in :) but alas OTTO is no longer a citizen of the USA as he recently moved to Great Britain.

My primary training was a mix between a 47D1 and the infamous 300C in the video above. The 300C has a very very good correlator compared to a 47 and the 47 I learned in a had a very very good correlator compared to 47s I flew as a commercial pilot... definitely IMHO getting some manual throttle time is a worthwhile educational experience

I prefer the 300C I learned to fly in :) but alas OTTO is no longer a citizen of the USA as he recently moved to Great Britain.

I got to meet Roger Buis in person (over breakfast, actually) about four years ago. He was a super nice guy, and loved doing what he did, you could tell... even the "shake hands with the silly fixed wing pilot staying in his hotel at the airshow" stuff. :)

Always liked his show... a good mix of flying skill and entertainment, along with a little comedy. Was kinda sad to hear he was hanging it up.

My primary training was a mix between a 47D1 and the infamous 300C in the video above. The 300C has a very very good correlator compared to a 47 and the 47 I learned in a had a very very good correlator compared to 47s I flew as a commercial pilot... definitely IMHO getting some manual throttle time is a worthwhile educational experience

I agree, having transitioned from the Robbies to the 300C. And agree with your point that correlator quality varies (my instructor cut his teeth on the 47), and that the one in the 300C is very good. The Robbies correlator is decent, but not perfect (which is maybe one reason they added the governor).

I got to meet Roger Buis in person (over breakfast, actually) about four years ago. He was a super nice guy, and loved doing what he did, you could tell... even the "shake hands with the silly fixed wing pilot staying in his hotel at the airshow" stuff. :)

Always liked his show... a good mix of flying skill and entertainment, along with a little comedy. Was kinda sad to hear he was hanging it up.

Roger is a super good guy, got more jokes than a joke book :) I am very lucky to have learned how to fly from him.

Yeah, it's a blast, I enjoy how engaged it requires you to be. Until I can find the perfect Extra 300 to buy in the next few months this will definitely hold me over.

Just curious what do you do for a living?

Just curious what do you do for a living?

Web developer, photographer, business consultant, also a partner in a vinyl wrap company, and a partner in a manufacturing project where I'm the director of product development and marketing. I also had a track support business for high end race cars, but as of last year I've been winding that down as I'm trying to leave the industry... I think that covers it lol

Web developer, photographer, business consultant, also a partner in a vinyl wrap company, and a partner in a manufacturing project where I'm the director of product development and marketing. I also had a track support business for high end race cars, but as of last year I've been winding that down as I'm trying to leave the industry... I think that covers it lol

Very cool you sound like quite the industrious guy

Very cool you sound like quite the industrious guy

I wish it made more money, I'm just very clever with how I spend it and have a wife that's accepting of my adrenaline junky tendencies lol

Back