Height and Weight req?

silver-surfer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
silver-surfer
Reading through the 3rd class requirements I do not see a height/weight requirement. Is it safe to assume that general height/weight requirements should be followed and that no specific requirements exist for the 3rd class medical?

Not following the point of the question..... so elaborate please...

But for the moment, there is no min or max for height or weight. However, the AME's are doing the BMI computations to figure risks and "additional need to comply" items for things like Sleep Apnea, cardiac issues, etc.

But if your question concerns something else, let us know.

102419cca58c77add779bdabda51cbd9.jpg

The only height and weight requirement will be that of the airplane. If your can is too big, you might not fit.

Reading through the 3rd class requirements I do not see a height/weight requirement. Is it safe to assume that general height/weight requirements should be followed and that no specific requirements exist for the 3rd class medical?

Hell they don't even have height/weight requirements for flight attendants! And some have difficulty navigating the cabin aisle. :popcorn:

Not this one though.

ce1c4864330d6495f72457529db91723.jpg

Maybe this one though!

th
or
th

Last edited:
The only height and weight requirement will be that of the airplane. If your can is too big, you might not fit.

Perfect. Thank you.

Not following the point of the question..... so elaborate please...

But for the moment, there is no min or max for height or weight. However, the AME's are doing the BMI computations to figure risks and "additional need to comply" items for things like Sleep Apnea, cardiac issues, etc.

But if your question concerns something else, let us know.

That's what I was looking for. Info on the BMI is helpful.

I do believe that BMI becomes important if it is high as sleep apnea becomes a concern. Not sure of the current rules, but something you should investigate.

Depending on the AME, your BMI and then your neck circumference will get you dinged to have to go for a sleep study, in which it will be determined if you have sleep apnea or not. If you have sleep apnea, then you need to get a CPAP and log the data every night and then turn that into the AME/FAA regularly.

Height and weight requirements for a physical exam? Are you kidding??

You cannot control your height, you will be as tall as you will be, no taller and no shorter. Short people can get booster seats and rudder pedal extensions; tall people can get extra holes in the seat rails. Who's to say that your height will be a problem flying? Does your height cause you problems driving?

Weight is another matter, as you can control it to some extent. But 200 lbs. is quite thin for a man 6'5", and quite heavy for a woman 4'11" tall. Check the weight and balance of your desired plane, it may not work for a C152 yet be no problem at all for a PC12. So is your weight a problem with flying?

Do you have enough height and physical strength to see over the cowl and move the flight controls in all anticipated regimes of flight? Does the door close and the seatbelt fasten around you? Is the plane within CG limits for takeoff and landing weights after fueling and flying as far as you're going? Then you're good to go!

Ask Ravioli. He's tall and doesn't weigh enough...and the rest of us officially hate him for that. ;)
He may be the only PoAer with a single digit BMI.:eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back