Hearing Aids

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Just got hearing aids for the first time. Amazing! Stunning! I had no idea what I was missing. I had no idea I was talking so loud. My poor wife is relieved! She doesn't have to yell at me any more. It may take a year to stop the habit of saying; "Huh"? :lol:

They are the latest and greatest digital model with a remote control and everything. :D

Anyone else wearing hearing aids?

Suggestions?

Do you wear them flying? Turn them off?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

I was all set to get them so I went to the Otolanyngologist (just to make sure there was nothing wrong other than just too much music as a kid). They asked why I was there and I told them my wife thinks I need hearing aids because I don't hear her. They say they get that a lot.

The hearing test showed moderate hearing loss but only on one side. They sent me off to get MRI'd because loss on one side might indicate something else going on, but nothing was found. They ended up not recommending me for the aids to my wife's chagrin.

I've been wearing them for about a year, I fought getting them for a long time and I wouldn't go without them now.
I have an device that attaches to the TV and it plays right into the hearing aids. I can hear the TV from the restroom, best thing ever. :). I can pretend to be in every conversation without missing a single thing on TV. :lol:
I do not use them when wearing my head set, I have noise canceling headsets and they do not work well together.
I remove them when I get into the plane and most of the time I forget to get them out of the plane so be aware of that.:mad2:
I have Resound what do you have?

Last edited:
I've been wearing them for about a year, I fought getting them for a long time and I wouldn't go without them now.
I have an device that attaches to the TV and it plays right into the hearing aids. I can hear the TV from the restroom, best thing ever. :). I can pretend to be in every conversation without missing a single thing on TV. :lol:
I do not use them when wearing my head set, I have noise canceling headsets and they do not work well together.
I remove them when I get into the plane and most of the time I forget to get them out of the plane so be aware of that.:mad2:
I have Resound what do you have?

Phonak

I have a remote, but I want to hear the TV in the bathroom! :lol: :yes:

I was all set to get them so I went to the Otolanyngologist (just to make sure there was nothing wrong other than just too much music as a kid). They asked why I was there and I told them my wife thinks I need hearing aids because I don't hear her. They say they get that a lot.

The hearing test showed moderate hearing loss but only on one side. They sent me off to get MRI'd because loss on one side might indicate something else going on, but nothing was found. They ended up not recommending me for the aids to my wife's chagrin.

I asked my audiologist if I could mute my wife's voice. :rofl: Without missing a beat she said I've already programmed them to single out her voice over all others. :eek: :lol:

I've already got the TV turned down from 25 to 9. :redface:

Hearing loss not only affects the person with the loss, but everyone around them. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:
Been wearing mine now for 5 years. World of difference but I think I am due for new as I am saying "huh" more than I used to.

As for flying I learned a long time ago to stow them before putting the headsets on. I use the never used ashtray on the pax door of the Arrow. That way when I forget (and I always forget) to retrieve them from ashtray on my side they are within easy reach from the ground on the Pax door ashtray.

One of the units I was looking at has a "spouse clip." A remote your wife wears on her collar that is hot wired direct to your ears. My wife was all over that one.

Lots of information on hearingaidsforum.com. Of course, they're even crankier over there than on this board.

The filter certain frequencies feature is nice. #2 on mine filters out road noise when driving. #3 enhances the dialog as broadcast on TV. #4 gives full range of singing. Off while still wearing them makes very effective earplugs.

#1 on mine is my normal walking around mode. #2 is like a noise canceling headset for noisy restaurants. #3 is for watching TV. #4 turns them off so I don't have to take them out when I fly. By the way Costco has about the best deal around on quality hearing aids and most stores have a board certified audiologist. Stay away from the big hearing aid chains as they are all a rip off. You should not have to pay more than $2500 for top of the line aids with all the bells and whistles. Don

I have the Starkey tube in ear type. They are tuned to boost the high frequencies that I lost in the Marines. They have an up volume on the right ear and down volume on the left (left-lower). That's it, to turn them off I have to open the battery box.

I like them but don't wear them in the plane with my ANR headset. I put them in my shirt pocket when I take them out so I don't loose them. I can't afford to replace them ($7k).

I have this condition where ear wax builds up and has to be flushed out from time to time (every couple years). When I was first diagnosed with this it was because I thought I was going deaf, especially on one side. I couldn't hear a damn thing.

One day I was having lunch with my group which included this uber-chatty (though very attractive) young lady. She sat on my deaf side and prattled away, and for the first time I realized that hearing loss was not necessarily a bad thing.

Used to know a guy who was deaf from birth. He always had a smile on his face and I wondered if he was happy because he didn't have to listen to all the bull s**t.

My pilot medical said "hearing augmentation required". But showed my vision OK. My drivers license shows I must use my eyeglasses. But the don't give a hearing test.

Apparently I need to see to drive a car but hear to fly a plane.

Just got hearing aids for the first time. Amazing! Stunning! I had no idea what I was missing. I had no idea I was talking so loud. My poor wife is relieved! She doesn't have to yell at me any more. It may take a year to stop the habit of saying; "Huh"? :lol:

They are the latest and greatest digital model with a remote control and everything. :D

Anyone else wearing hearing aids?

Suggestions?

Do you wear them flying? Turn them off?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

I tell people don't get them unless you are absolutely sure you need them because throwing $2k+ each down the crapper is not for everyone with hearing loss.

I hate them. Even the whiz bang awesome one that I have. Its impossible to have a decent conversation in any restaurant and a damn bar is even worse. The absolute worst is those stupid bars with karaoke which for some reason Applebees is now doing.

I was even ****ed about stupid music being too loud at the Outback Steakhouse the other day.

Do people really need every waking moment filled with loud noise?

Tip, animals love discussing earwax covered anything so beware Fido will have a couple grand in his mouth any change he gets.

Beware of power flush toilets.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back