Hearing aids - need some education

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I know very little about them, other than they are expensive. My MIL uses them, so I do know a little about them from the maintenance and setup perspective.

I have hearing loss in certain frequencies: different freqs in each ear, and different levels. Not enough to be debilitating or to miss out on conversations, yet, but for some reason lately I've been thinking about it so maybe I'm noticing it more. Nothing genetic or medical, just too much loud stuff for too long.

Is there a particular point where aids make begin to make sense? Like a certain score where you say, "OK, when I reach that point, it's time to get serious"? Or is it more based on quality of life issues? Vision seems a little more objective - either you can see 20/20 or you can't. But hearing seems to be more subjective and I don't know how to judge it. I can hear a normal conversation at 6 feet, and that's good enough for my class III.

Any pros/cons of the different types of aids or features?

Are Costco and Sam's brands any good? Their list prices look relatively reasonable, but they might have a lot of fine print that adds to the cost. My MIL gets hers through an audiologist of some type. They are expensive, but it does include house-call costs for maintenance and adjustments and that's worth something.

Costco in a heartbeat. Fabulous service. My wife and I go in every 90 days for a free checkup of our aids and free replacement of any parts that need replacement. Ours are the behind-the-ear type.That's my answer to your second question. To answer the first question, it is quality of life. If you can hear normal conversation at six feet you are in pretty good shape...can you hear a siren from a half-mile?

Bob

Costco in a heartbeat. Fabulous service. My wife and I go in every 90 days for a free checkup of our aids and free replacement of any parts that need replacement. Ours are the behind-the-ear type.That's my answer to your second question. To answer the first question, it is quality of life. If you can hear normal conversation at six feet you are in pretty good shape...can you hear a siren from a half-mile?

Bob
I can hear the dinner bell from 3/4 mile!

I've heard good things about Costco aids and service. Unfortunately, for my MIL, that requires transportation and other logistics that pretty much makes it not worth the savings.

My last test showed it's more noticeable in the speech range, especially the higher frequencies. The frequency range my wife normally uses, by the way.

I did have a check, and some of the speech recognition areas were a little tough. They play a faint word and you have to figure out what it is. I don't remember the exact sounds, but it was things like being able to reliably tell the difference between things like "have" and "half". In normal conversation that's not a big deal because context will fill it in for you, but on a word by word basis it's something to score.

Right now, not really a problem, but just the fact that I'm starting to be more aware of it might mean it's time for another check.

I've worn hearing aids since I was 4 years old, so it's always been an issue for me. So, I can't speak to the "threshold" at which you'd REALLY want to bite the bullet. However, I will say that if you find yourself asking for clarification or find others getting frustrated with repeating themselves and/or realizing that you need to turn your television up/depend on captions, it might be time.

As for the actual hearing aids, those should be based on what your needs actually are. The technology is amazing. I have some GN Resound in-the-ear aids with two pre-set programs (one "normal," one for "crowds" that amplifies the nearest sounds). They have bluetooth capability that I can use to pipe the sound of my TV right into them, if I'd like. I haven't used that feature much, but it's great for a night if your significant other wants silence. I believe the newer ones will also let you connect your cell phone to them, just like a regular BT headset. Again, not something I'm sure of, as I pretty much put mine in and go about my day without using the features. But, I know every year, the capabilities become greater. I at least go in and get my program "tweaked" once a year, which takes about 30 minutes on their computer.

Some folks may be just fine going the Costco/Sam's route, but I chose to go the audiologist route using reputable, leading-edge hearing aid tech.

Good point about the programming and convenience of full service. My MIL gets regular visits and adjustments to tweak the settings on hers. Those are all done at her place on a regular schedule. Costco or Sam's would be too big a hassle.

I like having the reputation and reliability of the full service route, personally. The warranty on repairs and replacement is nice to have, as well. Given the fact I've had the issue from childhood and I don't get aids but once every 5-10 years, but use every day, I bite the bullet on the cost. Costco may work for some (and you), and that's great. It just won't cut it for me. I'll happily get some cheap eyeglasses from a joint like that, but not my hearing aids. Those are a much bigger part of my daily life and happiness and worth every penny in advanced technology.

I absolutely have to have a hearing aid, I have a high end (3 years old) behind the ear monster. I hate hearing aids with passion. They are crazy expensive and a PITA, if you don't absolutely have to have them then don't buy them IMHO.

I'm a lost cause on my other ear so I only wear one. I test drove a deal that uses two and funnels it to one ear but didn't see it being worth the extra money.

I live in a town that has the state School for the Deaf. It's common to see ASL, as well as the cochlear implants. My neighbor had to go the implant route. Pretty amazing stuff, when you think about it.

I like having the reputation and reliability of the full service route, personally. The warranty on repairs and replacement is nice to have, as well. Given the fact I've had the issue from childhood and I don't get aids but once every 5-10 years, but use every day, I bite the bullet on the cost. Costco may work for some (and you), and that's great. It just won't cut it for me. I'll happily get some cheap eyeglasses from a joint like that, but not my hearing aids. Those are a much bigger part of my daily life and happiness and worth every penny in advanced technology.
I concur.
My suggestion is to look at the Sunday paper and find all those multi-page, full color ads promising the best prices and that you will hear "better than normal". Write them all down on a list and NEVER go there.
Then write down all the other places with smaller ads, and never go there either.

Best option is to go to an ENT to make sure your hearing loss is the kind that is treatable with hearing aids. Then ask the ENT for a recommendation for an audiologist that is more than a hearing aid salesman. Most of those big places have short training periods before foisting them on the public. Get someone with real training and lots of experience. This is too important.

But one thing I tell everyone is that needing hearing aids is a pain, but needing them and not getting them is horrible. Hearing aids can be a life changer.

And if any of you young kids are reading this and thinking that hearing aids are for old codgers and that you won't ever need them, I hope you are taking care of your ears and wearing hearing protection when you are on your jet skis, using your power tools and flying. And for God's sake, turn down those ear buds. Take it from me, hearing aids are a pain in the "ear" and they are expensive and you don't want to risk your hearing because you are young and indestructible. Or you too will be a deaf old codger one day.

I concur with JohnH. When you first start using hearing aids, you need the help of someone you can trust, and someone who will provide decent follow-up care. Any competent dispenser can fit you with an appropriate device, but audiologists are your best choice, in general. Still, some are better than others, so ask for references. For your second or third set of hearing aids, when you know what to expect, you can look for something cheaper. Costco only sells premium-level hearing aids, but from what I hear they are a couple generations behind the latest technology. Make sure they are not representing the aids as "state of the art." If you want the best of both worlds, try to find a practice where the prices are "unbundled."

Start here: http://www.howsyourhearing.org

Last edited:
What finally did it for me was realizing that I was missing 90% of the family conversation during holiday get togethers. My son in law and my brother in law are both soft spoken and I heard virtually nothing either of them said. I didn't have a close relationship with them but did not fully understand why until I got hearing aids. When I could respond appropriately to things they said because I started actually hearing what they were saying, it turned everything around and vastly improved my relationships with them. You're fooling nobody when you smile and nod at stuff pretending to hear it, after you've passed the point of asking for it to be repeated, and then after three or four repeats STILL don't get it. I was withdrawing from people and they were withdrawing from me and it's insidious. You don't fully appreciate that until you start hearing again.

I resisted hearing aids for a long time. It's a big step. They are expensive and they are a PITA so I fully understand putting it off as long as possible. I absolutely hate being dependent on them, but now, I cannot live without them.

The first ones I got were online and came with a program you could adjust yourself. If you are older or have trouble managing small things or are not computer literate, I don't recommend them. But they were half the price of the full service kind and served me well for a couple of years. Then I went with traditional route, and now have WIdex.

I recommend, before you get them, find out if and how they interact with your cell phone. My Widex comes with a bluetooth necklace that pairs with my iPhone. It sends calls directly into my hearing aids and has a mic to pick up my voice. But I believe some hearing aids come already bluetooth ready for the iPhone with no need for a necklace. You might be able to use a phone without it, either remove your aids and turn the phone volume up, or they make aids that "detect" when your phone is up to your ear so they don't squeal, but to have people's calls sent directly to both ears is sooooooooooo much better. You can also pipe your iTunes into the aids, although the music quality is not the best. I still prefer to remove them and use a headset for music.

Got a pair from Sams two yrs ago. Family history of hearing loss. Older brother, father, paternal uncles, and male first cousins all have hearing loss. My brother's graphs look just like mine, and the loss is worse in both our left ears. What put me over the edge was when I became self conscious about asking people to repeat themselves so much. And it's not simply a matter of volume, it's the frequencies.

All that being said, my loss is not that debilitating, so I only wear mine when I really don't want to miss something. Business meetings, family holiday get togethers, concerts, and plays are wear times. Really enhances music too.

The key is that we lose high the frequencies first. So if amplification is flat across frequencies, the midrange becomes too "jangly" loud. Look for a device that has at least 40db adjustments below 500 Hz as compared to above 1000 hz, and I consider it a plus if it can be re-spectrum curved on your PC so that you can "get it right", and change it as it progresses over the years. The max range used to be 30 db but that is gone gone gone out of date and if someone offers you a GREAT deal on a 30 db set he's actually seling you a "Stratus 1" equivalent......

Last edited:
The key is that we lose high the frequencies first. So if amplification is flat across frequencies, the midrange becomes too "jangly" loud. Look for a device that has at least 40db adjustments below 500 Hz as compared to above 1000 hz, and I consider it a plus if it can be re-spectrum curved on your PC so that you can "get it right", and change it as it progresses over the years. The max range used to be 30 db but that is gone gone gone out of date and if someone offers you a GREAT deal on a 30 db set he's actually seling you a "Stratus 1" equivalent......
Thanks Bruce. I keep putting it off but I know I am going to have to do something soon.

Thanks Bruce. I keep putting it off but I know I am going to have to do something soon.
Jim, IMO the best values are the small behind the ear models with Bluetooth interfaces. You can program them from your desktop via the Bluetooth and they are unobtrusive and uet large enough to change the da_ned battery without a microscope and tweezers...chasing a battery beneath your desk get very old, very quickly.

I've worn hearing aids for several years now (family history of early hearing loss). With a loss of 60db in my left ear and 30db in my right, and highly variable week to week, the hearing aids are pretty useful. I've always gone the route of full service through my audiologist. I generally have several appointments to get the things tuned properly. My previous set was a Widex, which I was not particularly happy with. I'm currently running a Siemens BTE pair that work very nicely, in exchange for a truly crazy price tag ($7000!). The pricey one allows me to continue to use open ear tips, which I greatly prefer, and not get feedback. Thankfully, I have insurance that knocks some of that ridiculous price down. If you're willing to give up on some of tunability, bluetooth, phone app, remote, rechargeable batteries, and other fancy stuff, the price can come down a couple thousand.

If you do consider them, one thing to look into with your state...do you need to hear for work? My state (Michigan) paid for mine through a "worker assistance" program. It didn't matter if I could afford them or not...

My MIL's aids will occasionally squeal loudly enough that we can hear it, but she says she can't hear it.

How does that work? Is the mic generating the sound so it doesn't pick it up?

And, of course, my tinnitus just decided to flare up again a few minutes ago. It comes and goes, never bad enough to affect anything other than being a nuisance.

My MIL's aids will occasionally squeal loudly enough that we can hear it, but she says she can't hear it.
That was my FIL - he would "hoot" so loud you could hear it across the room - you have to wonder what the sound level was inside of his ear and if it wasn't just doing more damage. Makes me reluctant to go that route - or at least, drag my feet as long as I can.

Geoff: if you get a GOOD set with -40 capability, you can adjust it so that what is delivered to the Auditory nerve is flat.....no damage.

I have a slight hearing loss in one ear at a particular frequency (oddly the same frequency as my wife's voice. Ask me my theory about that, I'll tell you.)
Once a year I go over to the local VA hospital just to use my benefits. I don't actually DO anything, or see a doctor. I just sign in, update my paperwork, wander around a little then leave.
About 4 years ago, the guy working at the desk says: Oh. I see you were a pilot. You may qualify for hearing aids. A week later I receive a notice that I have an appointment with an audiologist.
The usual boiler plate "Please call it you are unable to make the appointment" accompanies the letter.
* Anyone who deals with the VA knows it's easier to just go to the appointment than to try to cancel it. No one EVER answers the phone at the VA. It's a violation of Federal law.
So, at the appointed day and hour, I appear, they give me a hearing test and they tell me: "You have a small hearing loss in one ear."
Which I already knew.
Then, without any explanation, they shove stuff in my ear, pull it out and tell me I can go.
Two weeks later, I get another notice to see the audiologist. Refer to * if you need to, for what comes next.
The Audiologist has me sit down, sticks a hearing aid in my ear (WTF!) Adjusts it, hands me a years worth of supplies and batteries and tells me if I need anything make an appointment.
Refer to * if you want to know why I never did.
I am now the proud owner of a hearing aid I don't need or use.
Except:
Very rarely I will put it in if I want to eavesdrop on my wife, or kids or grandkids. They can't figure out how I can hear them from 1/2 a mile away.
Or occasionally when I'm out in the wood. I can hear animals a hundred yards away. Heck I can hear worms digging through the dirt when I have it in.
I may go back and get TWO new hearing aids, so I can eavesdrop in stereo.

Jim, IMO the best values are the small behind the ear models with Bluetooth interfaces. You can program them from your desktop via the Bluetooth and they are unobtrusive and uet large enough to change the da_ned battery without a microscope and tweezers...chasing a battery beneath your desk get very old, very quickly.

My old pair had a cable you had to plug into a very tiny port on the part that goes behind your ear. It went to a unit which then plugged into my PC. But it sounds like now you don't need the cable; it talks to your computer through Bluetooth? I guess you need a special Bluetooth program for your computer?

My old pair had a cable you had to plug into a very tiny port on the part that goes behind your ear. It went to a unit which then plugged into my PC. But it sounds like now you don't need the cable; it talks to your computer through Bluetooth? I guess you need a special Bluetooth program for your computer?
The ones I tested had an iPhone app. The audiologist tuned them from an iPhone while they were in my ear. They were Bluetooth and the phone audio - either from a phone call or music played directly through the hearing aides. I expect that would be a battery killer. I have my earbuds in most of the day at work. One particular had a feature where each hearing aid communicates with the other one and if it detected loud background noise, it would lower the volume on that side.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed in the hearing aid technology. I wear glasses - wich are a nuisance - but I can see very well with them. I guess I was expecting something similar with the hearing aids. When I tried hearing aids, it seemed like it only amplified the garbled sounds. I put it off for awhile - but it will not be too much longer before I do something.

Jim, my audiologist tuned them from his laptop. He put a thing around my neck that acted like a wireless connection between my hearing aids and his laptop. Similarly, I have a necklace that makes the Bluetooth connection to my iphone. But I can't adjust them with my phone. It just brings phone calls and music directly into my hearing aids. I have not found it to be a battery killer at all. I charge the necklace every night. The hearing aid battery life is unaffected and my iphone battery might go down 50% in a day if I listen to music for a couple hours. It's not unreasonable. I guess if you have a whole lot more phone time than that it might be an issue.

I understand the "amplified the garbled sounds". It took several adjustments to get my hearing aids right. They were truly awful at first. I think the brain needs to adjust too. It is never going to sound like your young ears. There will always be a robotic artificial factor, but you get used to it.

I concur.
My suggestion is to look at the Sunday paper and find all those multi-page, full color ads promising the best prices and that you will hear "better than normal". Write them all down on a list and NEVER go there.
Then write down all the other places with smaller ads, and never go there either.

Best option is to go to an ENT to make sure your hearing loss is the kind that is treatable with hearing aids. Then ask the ENT for a recommendation for an audiologist that is more than a hearing aid salesman. Most of those big places have short training periods before foisting them on the public. Get someone with real training and lots of experience. This is too important.

But one thing I tell everyone is that needing hearing aids is a pain, but needing them and not getting them is horrible. Hearing aids can be a life changer.

And if any of you young kids are reading this and thinking that hearing aids are for old codgers and that you won't ever need them, I hope you are taking care of your ears and wearing hearing protection when you are on your jet skis, using your power tools and flying. And for God's sake, turn down those ear buds. Take it from me, hearing aids are a pain in the "ear" and they are expensive and you don't want to risk your hearing because you are young and indestructible. Or you too will be a deaf old codger one day.

That's who sent me to Costco.

Bob

That's who sent me to Costco.

Bob
The audiologist doing the tuning is more important than the store or even the type of hearing aid. A good audiologist can get the most out of a cheap hearing aid, but a lousy audiologist won't even be able to do much with the best hearing aids. Generally, a local ENT will know who the best audiologists are. I have had audiologists that never did much besides turn up the volume. That just makes the garbled noise a louder garbled noise.

Jim, my audiologist tuned them from his laptop. He put a thing around my neck that acted like a wireless connection between my hearing aids and his laptop. Similarly, I have a necklace that makes the Bluetooth connection to my iphone. But I can't adjust them with my phone. It just brings phone calls and music directly into my hearing aids. I have not found it to be a battery killer at all. I charge the necklace every night. The hearing aid battery life is unaffected and my iphone battery might go down 50% in a day if I listen to music for a couple hours. It's not unreasonable. I guess if you have a whole lot more phone time than that it might be an issue.

I understand the "amplified the garbled sounds". It took several adjustments to get my hearing aids right. They were truly awful at first. I think the brain needs to adjust too. It is never going to sound like your young ears. There will always be a robotic artificial factor, but you get used to it.
Rushie - Glad to know it worked out. I actually went to an ENT that had an Audiologist on site. Maybe she did not have the training or the time to get them tuned correctly. I know I need to do something in the not too distant future.

The audiologist doing the tuning is more important than the store or even the type of hearing aid. A good audiologist can get the most out of a cheap hearing aid, but a lousy audiologist won't even be able to do much with the best hearing aids. Generally, a local ENT will know who the best audiologists are. I have had audiologists that never did much besides turn up the volume. That just makes the garbled noise a louder garbled noise.
Sounds like my experience.

I've worn hearing aids since I was 4 years old, so it's always been an issue for me. So, I can't speak to the "threshold" at which you'd REALLY want to bite the bullet. However, I will say that if you find yourself asking for clarification or find others getting frustrated with repeating themselves and/or realizing that you need to turn your television up/depend on captions, it might be time.

As for the actual hearing aids, those should be based on what your needs actually are. The technology is amazing. I have some GN Resound in-the-ear aids with two pre-set programs (one "normal," one for "crowds" that amplifies the nearest sounds). They have bluetooth capability that I can use to pipe the sound of my TV right into them, if I'd like. I haven't used that feature much, but it's great for a night if your significant other wants silence. I believe the newer ones will also let you connect your cell phone to them, just like a regular BT headset. Again, not something I'm sure of, as I pretty much put mine in and go about my day without using the features. But, I know every year, the capabilities become greater. I at least go in and get my program "tweaked" once a year, which takes about 30 minutes on their computer.

Some folks may be just fine going the Costco/Sam's route, but I chose to go the audiologist route using reputable, leading-edge hearing aid tech.

Drew, I have been very interested in your posts about wearing hearing aids in combination with the Bose A20. I normally wear behind the ear Phonaks to alleviate my high frequency hearing loss, but these wont`t work well with the Bose (if at all). I think I need the seal of an in the ear solution to avoid feedback, but am abit concerned aboid moisture. You have no issues with that? Thanks for sharing your experience and regards from The Netherlands (I am a bit of an interloper on this forum, but will fly in America some day!).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back