heard Saturday..."Hey buddie, what the F.....k is an overhead break?"

Just key up and say, "I'm in the area."

Keep 'em guessin'. Hahaha.

Almost as fun as confirming they are at the same airport you are..... then you switch your transponder to standby.... then back to Mode A for 10 seconds or so and then back to standby. Followed by Mode C and standby again...... Most if not all turbines and jets have TCAS and that "blip" coming and going really plays with their mind..:nono::nono:;);):yesnod:..
Turnabout is fair play.:lol::lol::lol:

I find it funny how you have to look at a post and then assume I'm attacking airline pilots.

Oh, I guess you meant "airline hotshots" in the most positive of lights, in which case, please forgive me. However, after reading the rest of this post I'm replying to, I can see that "airline hotshot" is most definitely a term of endearment from you and you're not attacking them in the slightest. :)

In this case they were both airline pilots. Every time I've heard "any traffic in the area please advise" it's always been a turbine piloted by an airline or a charter company. I'm sorry, that's just my experience. My students have better CTAF skills.

I guess we can hash the "any traffic in the area please advise thing" if you want. I hear it from all sorts of cockpits. I don't see the issue in not using it. I don't see the reason to use it. I'm pretty vanilla on the subject.

It seems to happen so often that I wonder if any of the airlines have any policies regarding CTAF operations or train on it what so ever because it's not very often I hear one make a decent radio call.

Most 121 calls done on a CTAF freq are done by the NFP while working with ATC most likely on COM 1 and the CTAF on COM 2. Sometimes, the workload can get fairly heavy.

I've never done an ounce of CTAF training at a 121 operator.

I don't care who it is. But I do get rather annoyed when I hear someone say they're screaming into a pattern "any traffic in the area please advise" and not once at the start or end say the airport name then not respond when I ask them for it.

Have you considered they may not hear you? It's not always the answer, but it is definitely possible. You're transmission, especially if they are not in your local area, may very well not make it to the guys you heard.

God forbid they replace 7 words with one useful one, like, the airport name. "Jet 123 inbound to land any traffic in the area please advise". Sigh...

Yeh, it's a shame. En-excusable, actually.I was at my local airport, flying GA and had a 121 operator come onto the radio with pretty bad radio calls. Called out the direction they were coming from, which was really where they were heading, etc.

Almost as fun as confirming they are at the same airport you are..... then you switch your transponder to standby.... then back to Mode A for 10 seconds or so and then back to standby. Followed by Mode C and standby again...... Most if not all turbines and jets have TCAS and that "blip" coming and going really plays with their mind..:nono::nono:;);):yesnod:..
Turnabout is fair play.:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously?

Just key up and say, "I'm in the area."

Keep 'em guessin'. Hahaha.
I'm soo tempted to use that one.

Usually I let 'em know that a little yellow Cub often frequents the field NORDO and to keep their eyes open since he doesn't have a transponder. It's true, too...

Ryan

Naw...... :nonod::nonod::nonod:... I saw it in a movie once though..:lol:

Can't ever tell. I used to work with a kid who would be holding short of the runway and as another aircraft was on short final, he'd goose it and make his plane jump forward to make them think he was taking the runway. He got great kicks out of it. :rolleyes:

Can't ever tell. I used to work with a kid who would be holding short of the runway and as another aircraft was on short final, he'd goose it and make his plane jump forward to make them think he was taking the runway. He got great kicks out of it. :rolleyes:

I think that 'kid' went on the fly for the majors and would announce over CTAF he's landing but not say what airport.:yesnod::yikes:...

I think that 'kid' went on the fly for the majors and would announce over CTAF he's landing but not say what airport.:yesnod::yikes:...

Actually, he's dead. He spun a 172 in, somewhere in the northeast, I think.

I was flying with my comm. CFI and we heard the ATITAPA phrase... He keyed the mic and said "I advise you never bet on a 3 legged horse.". I was surprised and it was kinda funny.

Stop giving me ideas!!! :rofl:

Seems like a perfect way to use a great Princess Bride quote:

"I advise you never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

OMG I so want to use that one now...

Back