TommyAdventurous

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Thomas L
I made a previous post that some may remember- I am 23 years of age, fit, and healthy according to aviation standards. However, my AME included a medication I was given over 5 years ago (Gabapentin) that could be used to treat Seizures, however in my case it was used for other circumstances. The FAA is requesting documentation related to the medication but DID NOT tell me what they are looking for specifically.

Should I just give them my insurance and medical records for that specific medication? Or should I submit everything from the procedure that led up to the use of the medication?

I am not longer taking this medication and I have never had seizures. I really want to be efficient as possible so any pointers would be extremely helpful.

What I’ve included so far:
Cover letter
Insurance records relating to use of medication
Doctors note disclosing why the medication was given
Medical records directly regarding the medication

Any information is appreciated on what I should add or not include on my response to help expedite the process for both parties.

Thank!

What's missing is that the condition no longer needs treatment and the date of that.
if it was for neuropathy and neuropathy that is a special issuance condition and you will need testimony as to your sensation and power in the extremities.

(C'mon. Think like the FAA. It's not that hard...)

…(C'mon. Think like the FAA. It's not that hard...)
While you’re not an enigma, your experience and knowledge isn’t common across the AME community. You also have a level of credibility with the agency most AMEs don’t.

I wish more AME’s were like you; if there was a business model to franchise your knowledge, experience, and expertise, it would be a gold mine for the few AMEs that consider this specialty their profession.

I think a lot of that comes from your experience prior to becoming an AME, which is a lot of why I came to you after leaving .mil. My case wasn’t significantly difficult, but the advice in what to get done and timelines relative to seeing you in office made it easy. Re-establishing a history with the FAA after 20+ years of documented .mil aeromedical history could have been a lot harder, but it wasn’t, thanks to you.

While you’re not an enigma, your experience and knowledge isn’t common across the AME community. You also have a level of credibility with the agency most AMEs don’t.

I wish more AME’s were like you; if there was a business model to franchise your knowledge, experience, and expertise, it would be a gold mine for the few AMEs that consider this specialty their profession.

I think a lot of that comes from your experience prior to becoming an AME, which is a lot of why I came to you after leaving .mil. My case wasn’t significantly difficult, but the advice in what to get done and timelines relative to seeing you in office made it easy. Re-establishing a history with the FAA after 20+ years of documented .mil aeromedical history could have been a lot harder, but it wasn’t, thanks to you.

I still pinch myself to make sure its real, I almost gave up 2-3 times trying to get my 3rd. It would have been near impossible to do it without Dr. B's help.

I made a previous post that some may remember- I am 23 years of age, fit, and healthy according to aviation standards. However, my AME included a medication I was given over 5 years ago (Gabapentin) that could be used to treat Seizures, however in my case it was used for other circumstances. The FAA is requesting documentation related to the medication but DID NOT tell me what they are looking for specifically.

Should I just give them my insurance and medical records for that specific medication? Or should I submit everything from the procedure that led up to the use of the medication?

I am not longer taking this medication and I have never had seizures. I really want to be efficient as possible so any pointers would be extremely helpful.

What I’ve included so far:
Cover letter
Insurance records relating to use of medication
Doctors note disclosing why the medication was given
Medical records directly regarding the medication

Any information is appreciated on what I should add or not include on my response to help expedite the process for both parties.

Thank!
The condition was appendicitis and the procedure an appendectomy, correct? Is there anything in the records related to that you wouldn't want the FAA to see? If not, you should send them what they asked for. In consultation with your AME.

If Lindberg is correct then, what's missing is a doc's letter sayign the "gabapentin was used as a pain medicine adjuct PERIOPERATEIVELY and that you havne't needed if since then and haven't had any Rx, since then". End of story rsults in certification.

A major error that many AMEs make, is to review the record for anything flight-obectionable and make sure a "why and when terminated" note exists on the application.

(I kinda have to chuckle. EVERY pilot beings with "I'm healthy" Then he pulls out the Prozac, the Trazodone, the Losartan, the metformin....well, I think you "get it"")

Back