Headset

FlightFollowing

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flightfollowing
I don't know much about the headsets.. and i am not looking to spend too much on a set.. But i am looking for quality.. something that will last me through the rest of my training and then some more..w/o that loud whining/static noise...

anyone have any suggestions or is anyone selling?

Quality, rugedness, long life time.....There is only one brand, IMHO, that meets those requirments and that is David Clark. You could start with a non-ANR if money is an issue and then later install an ANR upgrade kit. But I recomend that you get the ANR to begin with. I have two of the 13XLs and love them.

I have owned other brands. The lightspeeds are less cost but their quality stinks. YOu will hear good things about their customer service. Thankfully they have great customer service because you will need it.

If possible try a few headsets on especially if you can do that while flying to help you make your decision.

smigaldi said:
Quality, rugedness, long life time.....There is only one brand, IMHO, that meets those requirments and that is David Clark.
The lightspeeds are less cost but their quality stinks. YOu will hear good things about their customer service. Thankfully they have great customer service because you will need it.
We all have our own opinions about headsets. I have a less expensive lightspeed and have nothing bad to say about it. It has been a good headset and it cost me under $150.00. I have used the David Clarks and they are nice, but for the their price, you could buy two lightspeeds. My one big suggestion is buy one that is light weight, I had an old Telex and after about an hour your neck starts to hurt from the weight.

David Clark on Ebay, just don't buy a helicopter or military model, they won't fit on GA planes.
I bought mine for 60 bucks. Used it for a while and then sent it back to the factory for a refurbishment, came back good as new. Total cost under 120.
I love that thing.

Dean said:
We all have our own opinions about headsets. I have a less expensive lightspeed and have nothing bad to say about it. It has been a good headset and it cost me under $150.00. I have used the David Clarks and they are nice, but for the their price, you could buy two lightspeeds. My one big suggestion is buy one that is light weight, I had an old Telex and after about an hour your neck starts to hurt from the weight.

I hope you have the two LSs so when one goes bad in flight you can switch to your back up!! :yes::p

I have had 3 LS headsets including the low cost QFR. The QFR needed repair the first month I had it. The 20XL was upgraded to a 20-3G when it went in for service and the 20-3G needed repair and then was sold to upgrade to David Clarks.

The entire time I had the LSs I was always worried about them breaking, especially in IMC, and then I would have to worry about dealing with the mike and speaker while flying. For my peace of mind I wanted something that would work for a good long time. I am glad you have had good luck with yours and continue to function for a long time. But my expirience differed from yours.

smigaldi said:
IThe entire time I had the LSs I was always worried about them breaking, especially in IMC, and then I would have to worry about dealing with the mike and speaker while flying. For my peace of mind I wanted something that would work for a good long time. I am glad you have had good luck with yours and continue to function for a long time. But my expirience differed from yours.

Interesting. I have a 30-3G for me and a 20XLc for a passenger set, and two years of hard use so far...no problem. Especially the 30-3G, it has gotten dropped and abused, and it just keeps on ticking. I treat them no differently than the DC's I had before.

Ah, the infamous 'headset' thread... :) If you do a search, you'll find all the info you can possibly want.

Here's my typical reply.... Get the ANR ones. Lightspeeds are my favorite for the performance/value/etc. However, I have a pair of Bose X's that I love.

First and foremost -- it's your head that will be clamped between the earcups you buy, not your buddy's, and unless your buddy's head/ears are i-den-tical to yours, what is comfortable on him may not be on you. Fly, or at least try, before you buy!

Second, ANR -- don't start engines without it. My hearing has been permanently damaged by too many years of flying in the pre-headset and pre-ANR days. Unless you want to spend a lot of time cupping your ears and saying "HUH?" when you get to be my age/experience, you will get ANR now.

DC's are indeed very well built, rugged, and reliable, and if you have the money to get ANR DC's (and you've tried them on so you know they fit comfortably), mighty fine. But if you only have $300 or so in your budget and you can afford either non-ANR DC's or ANR other brand, get the ANR -- you can always replace a headset, but you only get one set of ears.

Ron Levy said:
First and foremost -- it's your head that will be clamped between the earcups you buy, not your buddy's, and unless your buddy's head/ears are i-den-tical to yours, what is comfortable on him may not be on you. Fly, or at least try, before you buy!

Second, ANR -- don't start engines without it. My hearing has been permanently damaged by too many years of flying in the pre-headset and pre-ANR days. Unless you want to spend a lot of time cupping your ears and saying "HUH?" when you get to be my age/experience, you will get ANR now.

DC's are indeed very well built, rugged, and reliable, and if you have the money to get ANR DC's (and you've tried them on so you know they fit comfortably), mighty fine. But if you only have $300 or so in your budget and you can afford either non-ANR DC's or ANR other brand, get the ANR -- you can always replace a headset, but you only get one set of ears.

roger that.
after 1000 hrs of flying with passive sets, 800 of that with a DC 10-13.4, i went for the LS 30-3G. love em. Have been worried about my hearing for a while, finally got the cash to get em.

Comfort is very individual. You will want to go to a pilot shop that has samples and try some on. Fit will be totally different for you than for me (of course that may just be my fat head...).

I have seen lightspeeds go to the shop two and three times, with a couple of my CFIs having this happen to them. They like them, when not being repaired. Personally, I own DC 10-13.4s, and love them. Seemingly indestructible, and most any com system seems to like them. The ANR 'Speeds do not always get along with the intercom system, depending on the plane. IME.

I have bought a couple of used sets off ebay. As long as you are buying good name brands, from someone with good reputation points, and can see that you are getting the proper dual plugs, you will do well. It takes patience to get a good deal, but it can save you 50 to 100 bucks on a decent headset. Easily.

Jim G

If you do want to investigate Lightspeed, they are selling refurbished 20XL headsets for $300. I bought my 20XLc refurb a few years back for $275, and it has performed well with no failures.

Just another option if ANR on a budget is paramount.

http://www.anrheadsets.com/productsR20xl.asp

One comment regarding ANR/ENC/whatever the company calls noise cancelling circuitry headsets -- flight test any prospective headset before you buy. In addition to the fit/feel requirements for purchasing any headset, with respect to ANR/ENC/whatever headsets the ear seal is very important. Without a proper ear seal the headset amplifier circuits will increase sound levels in the ear cups, not reduce, thereby adding to your hearing loss. I have tried/flight tested Lightspeed, Bose, and even one model of DC ANR/ENC/whatever headsets and found that the noise canceling circuitry could not handle the ear cup seal voids around the temple pieces of my glasses and/or sunglasses--this despite functioning great in any pilot shop/showroom floor. I finally found that DCH10-13X_ headsets would seal properly and would provide proper ANR/ENC/whatever benefits.

Again, test fly before you purchase.

Bill Jennings said:
Interesting. I have a 30-3G for me and a 20XLc for a passenger set, and two years of hard use so far...no problem. Especially the 30-3G, it has gotten dropped and abused, and it just keeps on ticking. I treat them no differently than the DC's I had before.
It's very hit-and-miss. I bought a brand-new Lightspeed 20-3G and had to send it back to Sporty's for repair after the 1st flight and just recently sent it to Lightspeed (directly) to exchange it for a new one. I also know people (including you) who have had their 20-3G/30-3G for 2+ years and haven't had a problem what-so-ever.

The customer service at Lightspeed is beyond description. I have to say they are the most nice, caring, understanding, helpful individuals I have EVER delt with before in my life.

The customer service agent I spoke to was VERY helpful, had a great sense of humor, and was able to send out a new headset via UPS 2nd Day Air the same day and stuck a UPS shipping label in so I didn't have to pay for return shipping (All I had to do was swap boxes, put the new label over the old and give it to the UPS guy).

Teerawood said:
I don't know much about the headsets.. and i am not looking to spend too much on a set.. But i am looking for quality.. something that will last me through the rest of my training and then some more..w/o that loud whining/static noise...

anyone have any suggestions or is anyone selling?
Before you buy a headset, sit down and write out what your budget is. Don't waste money on an unnecesary headset if it would cost 10 hours in flight lessons. Use your judgement in how much you're willing to pay. Can you sacrifice 5 hours worth of flying money on a new ANR headset or are you a slower-pace student that flies less often and a less expensive headset will do until you get your certificate and/or start flying more often. ANR vs. no ANR/ENC will be a big factor to consider when making a decision.

Also flight-test a persepctive headset in REAL flying conditions (during a flight) before you buy. It might be comfortable for 20,000 other pilots, but it only counts if YOU spend YOUR money on a headset that is comfortable to YOU.

I started out with an old David Clark H10-40 and it served me well until my grandfather said he'd trade it for an ANR set he has as a spare. The Telex Airman ANR 200 was a great set until I realized that having the headset fall off my head while turning to the 8 o'clock position just wasn't going to work nor was it all that safe.

Since I fly fairly often (or try to at least) I thought it out and flight tested a Lightspeed 20-3G that felt very comfortable to me, and provided GREAT ANR. I sold the old headset on eBay and spoiled myself by buying a $475 new Lightspeed 20-3G.

Although I've had problems with it, I rather have great customer service and some breaking than to have bought a headset that barely ever breaks, does, and the company has a horrible customer service reputation. It fits great, is very comfortable on my head, and I think the sound quality and features it provides is right for me.

It's a very personal decision and make sure you take a flight-test before you buy. Only YOU have the authority to say whether you like it or not, NOT any magazine review or personal review.

Regards and good luck!
Jason

I fly with a pair of Softcomm C-90. ANR. About 5 years old. Can't tell you about their customer service as I haven't needed it. :D And I like them a lot. Bought a second pair on-line for less than $300. But, as noted, YMMV.

can Anyone exlplain what ANR is and what it does?... Sorry I'm a newbie.

Are tehre any reveiws out there for any headsets?? My budget is 300. poor college kid :(

Last edited:
Teerawood said:

Are tehre any reveiws out there for any headsets?? My budget is 300. poor college kid :(

$300 will buy you a good set of Clarks, or various of the Lightspeeds. I've got less than $300 in my Clarks, and, with the replacement this week of the gels, I've had them for 3 years without any $ spent.

Jim G

Ed Guthrie said:
One comment regarding ANR/ENC/whatever the company calls noise cancelling circuitry headsets -- flight test any prospective headset before you buy. In addition to the fit/feel requirements for purchasing any headset, with respect to ANR/ENC/whatever headsets the ear seal is very important. Without a proper ear seal the headset amplifier circuits will increase sound levels in the ear cups, not reduce, thereby adding to your hearing loss. I have tried/flight tested Lightspeed, Bose, and even one model of DC ANR/ENC/whatever headsets and found that the noise canceling circuitry could not handle the ear cup seal voids around the temple pieces of my glasses and/or sunglasses--this despite functioning great in any pilot shop/showroom floor. I finally found that DCH10-13X_ headsets would seal properly and would provide proper ANR/ENC/whatever benefits.

Again, test fly before you purchase.

Thanks for this info, Ed. My new glasses have a bit of a leak around the temples, and I was thinking that ENC might be the way to go to help with a bit of noise. I didn't realize that could make it WORSE rather than helping.:hairraise: I guess when the time comes to move up I'll have to go to Airways and do a bit of flight testing.

Jim G

Teerawood said:

See http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/tutorials.asp for ANR tutorial. Reader's Digest version is a microphone in the earcup samples the noise, introduces a 180° phase shift in the noise signal and rebroadcasts it into the ear cup, effectively cancelling it out.

They also have refurbs at or near that price. Otherwise, check ebay (with caution).

Last edited:
Teera, what type of flying are you going to be doing?
If you are a "few hours a week" type of pilot like I am you probably don't need the latest 1000 dollar ANC ENC uber lightweight massaging headsets. Three hundred seems like a pretty high budget, why not look at,
http://www.pilotjourney.com/shop/headsetlifetime-warranty-p-472.html
An instructor swore by his, I used them a few times, they weren't great, but they were certainly much better that the average FBO set. Plus they come with a lifetime warranty so you basically can always send them back if they don't work. You can't say that of all sets. Spend only 150 on the set and save your other 150 to buy more dual. If you don't plan on making a career out of this, and can't afford to fly that much I just don't see the logic beyond spending an hour or more of flying time on an amazing headset.
Worst comes to worst you later upgrade and keep your current cheap headset as a pax set.
My route was to go to:
ebay search on David Clark
And bid on a 10-30. Just check on the David Clark site to be sure the model headset is designed for GA aircraft, and don't buy something from out of the country.

3 hours a week is all my club will let me fly so thats pretty much how much i'll be flying for the remainder of my flight training... and after that i'll probley go crazy and fly much more...

I really just want something that won't damage my ears, comforable, and long lasting... I've been lookng at david clarks and light speeds... so far those are the only two brands i know..

All i know what too look for is ANR.. thats pretty much it.. :-\

Teerawood you are doing a great job of looking around at your options.

It looks like you are asking for more info and options.

Ebay is a great source of headsets...people getting into flying and out again.

3 good david clark opitons...

10-30 cheap, abundant about $125
10-20 great mic, heavy $145
10-13.4 light, great mic $185

These are all great options that have been around for a long time and have thousands and thousands of hours on them. They do not have ANR but it can be added for around $175 via this method (click)

Another good option for your budget is a cheaper used ANR headset by lightspeed etc. Click this LINK for more options.

I think a good choice would be the 25XL for around $290.

The thing I REALLY don't like about a lot of the new ANR headsets is the lack of passive NR. Keep in mind when you are looking at the specs for these headsets every 3db you increase, the sound gets twice as loud. Bose, lightspeed, etc are very comfortable but have very low passive NR.

I myself like telex the best with lightspeed coming next in line. If you were looking for a $600 set I would say the telex 50-D is a great way to go.

In your shoes I would problably get the lightspeed 25XL for slightly under your budget or the DC 13.4 with the upgrade for slightly higher and more time invested.

I hope this helps...
chris

Teerawood said:
I really just want something that won't damage my ears, comforable, and long lasting... I've been lookng at david clarks and light speeds... so far those are the only two brands i know..
If you don't want to spring for an ANR headset but are still worried about the noise, you could wear foam earplugs under the headset. That's what I did for many years before ANR was available. Actually I'm way behind the times because I still don't have an ANR headset. I think I can still hear OK, though.

Huh, say again? :confused:

Well that explains why you can't understand Southern controllers. You're deaf!

Fast n' Furious said:
Well that explains why you can't understand Southern controllers. You're deaf!
Selective deafness. Y'all.

Don't get too hung up on this. What they don't tell you when you learn how to fly is that you need to invest in 3 or 4 headsets, good ones too. What are your passengers going to use? Trust me on this, it effects their enjoyment
of the flight, especially if it's more than an hour. So, buy a decent headset,
use it, move up the ladder and get a better one. Your passengers keep getting your hand me downs. I went from a Peltor, to Lightspeed to Bose.

grattonja said:
Thanks for this info, Ed. My new glasses have a bit of a leak around the temples, and I was thinking that ENC might be the way to go to help with a bit of noise. I didn't realize that could make it WORSE rather than helping.:hairraise: I guess when the time comes to move up I'll have to go to Airways and do a bit of flight testing.

Jim G

Jim:

Had the same problem, found that a small piece of foam put under the temple solved the problem. A bit of a pain to do, but made quite the difference. The problem is worse with my regular glasses, they have a thicker frame than my sunglasses. I think David Clarke even makes a "wedge like" piece of foam just for that purpose. After having ANR, I'd never go back!

Gary

Until my Instrument rating, I had SoftComm C-40s with Gel seals. I found them to be very good. After moving up to Bose X, I couldn't go back to anything else. Congrats for joining Aviation.

Not sure how much I can add to the many heated responses, but for well under $100 I have bought a couple nice used headsets on ebay from established sellers and am very happy. I use them for passengers and don't need the newest and best. I usually fly with Bose, but have used the others from time to time and like them quite a bit for the money. One set is even really small, which is fine because I needed a pair for me 3 year old and they also fit my wife!

Emery

Has anyone tried the newer in-the-ear style? They're not ANR, but claim similar specs, and the small size is attractive.

My wife and I tried Bose for a long (8 hr each way) trip, and found that they were good; just not $1K worth of good. One of the two actually seemed to have some sort of a short in it, whereby things would go quiet for a while. Not silent, just quiet. Yeah, it could probably have been corrected, but at that price I want it right at the get go!

gprellwitz said:
Has anyone tried the newer in-the-ear style? They're not ANR, but claim similar specs, and the small size is attractive.

Most of these are passive, IE, they use expanding foam earplug type devices to block noise. Some folks don't mind stuff crammed in their ears, others do. Go to the drug store and buy some 30dB earplugs, wear them at home for a while, and see if you are OK with the feeling.

I've been using disposable 30dB plugs for years, use them on the motorcycle every day. (No, not loud pipes, even the wind noise on the helmet is loud enough to damage your hearing)

gprellwitz said:

My wife and I tried Bose for a long (8 hr each way) trip, and found that they were good; just not $1K worth of good. One of the two actually seemed to have some sort of a short in it, whereby things would go quiet for a while. Not silent, just quiet. Yeah, it could probably have been corrected, but at that price I want it right at the get go!

I have one (clarity aloft) and it's clearly not quite as good at attenuating low frequencies as the better ANR over ear headsets (LightSpeed 3G, Bose, etc) but it's not bad. Other downsides on mine are the headband that goes behind your head gets hung up on headrests and shoulder belts, it takes much longer to put on than a normal headset, and the mike boom moves around a bit more than my liking. On the plus side there are no batteries to die, it's extremely comfortable if you can stand foam plugs in your ears, doesn't interfere with glasses or hoods, and weighs a fraction of my LightSpeeds. I think I like the LS Mach 1 design a little better in that it eliminates the wire band but I only tried one briefly. BTW in my taildragger (vs Baron) the Clarity Aloft is actually a bit quieter than the LS or Bose because the noise has much more high frequency content and the tendency for ANR headsets to overload in the higher noise environment.

Bose X. No question, best investment you can make in aviation. You can put a price tag on a headset but you cannot put a value on your hearing. Do not even consider a headset that isn't ANR. I used the LS30G for a year, sold it on Ebay for the same price that I paid for it and bought a Bose. Both are awesome headsets, but if you are going to be flying more than 2 or 3 hours a day the Bose is a lot more comfortable.

I am a student pilot and I have been flying with the FBO's DCs for a couple of months now. I didn't want to spend alot for my first headset since I probably won't really know what works well for me until I've worn some different models.

I figure that after I have about 50-100 more hours, I might know a little more about what headset will work best for me. I didn't want to spend $500 (or $1000 for Bose) on my first set, since I can't be sure what will be best. Also, I would like spend as much of my budget as possible on training and not the cool toys.

I bought a Pilot Aviation with ANR headset on Ebay for $160. I have worn it for a few hours and so far I like it.

Something to think about, you can pay it now or pay it later. I would suggest that you go ahead and buy a good set now and you will have them. If not you will pay more in the long run with the purchase of two different headsets.

Mark

N8894J said:
Something to think about, you can pay it now or pay it later. I would suggest that you go ahead and buy a good set now and you will have them. If not you will pay more in the long run with the purchase of two different headsets.
That suggests that you don't think the Pilot ANR headset gmwalk got is "a good set," and I would disagree with that assessment. I've been flying with Pilot ANR headsets for about eight years now (first a 17-16, and now a 17-79) and find it to be a well-made, comfortable, durable unit with the features I want and a good fit on my head. If you can get one for $160, it's a very good deal on what I consider to be a perfectly good unit.

Back