Headset thread #43124 - Cheap ANR, or Expensive Passive?

livitup

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
livitup
As much as I would love to, spending $1000 on a headset is out of the question right now. The wife is being very tolerant of this whole "lets spend thousands of dollars so I can learn to fly" thing, but she has put her foot down at $1000 headsets. :dunno: Any further arguments on this topic will likely be met with "well, then, you can just stop flying." So let's not go there.

So I'm finding a few ANR headsets in the $200 to $300 range, which is also a price point where quite a few good passive headsets can be found. I've found the Gulf Coast Avionics headset, which appears to be an OEMed headset from Pilot USA. Then there is the OEM Lightspeed QFR Cross Country (which Lightspeed doesn't sell any more).

Of course for the same $200 to $300 there are about 20 different passive models I could buy (DC, Sigtronics, Telex, whatever...). So are these budget ANR headsets likely to be any good, or should I stick with top of the line passives?

QT Halo:
$360
As quiet as ANR
No issue with spectacles or sunglasses "breaking the seal"
Way more comfortable for > 1hr flights than any of the head-clamper style headsets, ANR or not.

I have the off-branded Lightspeed QFRs. The ANR does work, but there is a cheap feel to the headset. Plus, the don't stay adjusted very well. The ear cups tend to slide down on the wire slides. They are actually a decedent value for training. Later, get a higher quality set and use these for passengers.

I have a couple of the Lightspeed private branded QFR ANR headsets and my wife and I are happy with them. They are similar in weight to passive headsets and have similar passive attenuation, as well. They also seal well around my wire-rim eyeglasses.

I have no experience with high end ANR headsets so I can't compare the effectiveness of their active attenuation. Its effect is clear, though, when cycling the on/off switch. The ANR circuitry is powered by two AA batteries so they don't add much weight and are easy to source if you need a pair away from home. I use low-self-discharge NiMH rechargables and they last for about 20 hrs between recharges.

After about 100 hrs the rubber casing on one of the cords split. The headset continued to work but I sent it to Lightspeed for repair. They turned it around in 48 hrs under the 3 year warranty. Really good customer service...particularly considering the price.

QT Halo:
$360
As quiet as ANR
Way more comfortable for > 1hr flights than any of the head-clamper style headsets, ANR or not.

Several pilot buddies have the Halos. All are very happy with them.

Last edited:
QT Halo:
$360
As quiet as ANR

The wife and I both wear them. You'll never look back....... She'll thank you after she wears them.

Low frequency noise is what destroys your hearing. ANR takes care of low frequency noise way better than any passive. Choose wisely, lest your hearing be like mine when you are my age.

Flitecom ..works good last long time..even Southwest is using them now...I found some ANR's brand new for $140 online (Amazon)

Any basic passive beats no headset at all. Get some basic for now, then save up for the better ANR sets later on. The one you buy now will go to a passenger or kid in the backseat.

Live it up,

I haven't sprung for the expensive headset either but found a used brand that helps a lot. I first found a set or DRE-6000 ANR headsets that I picked up on e-bay for about $100. I sent them to a place in TX that has the repair authority for them and for $50 the guy replaced the earcups, mic and adjusted everything just like new.

About 6 months later I found another set identical to the first on e-bay for $55. I sent them in to the guy in TX after my mechanic got the cord wrapped around his foot and ripped the cord out of the connector. This time it cost $72 but again new earcups and mic and they work great.

I am very intrigued by the QT HALO and will try them this summer, but for now I love my DRE's.

Just an idea.

I can't say enough good things about the Halos from Quiet Tech. So light you forget you have a headset on. My Lightspeed Zulus have been sitting in their case since I got the Halos. 1/3 the price and equal noise reduction-if not better. And the best part? No AA battery that craps out when you least expect.

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/

You want sufficient db of hearing protection. Recommendations of what airlines with their SUBSTANTIALLY quieter flight decks use doesn't mean much to me. You can get decent attenuation with an over the year headset, but it results in a lot of both weight and head clamp force to achieve that.

ANR gives you the attenuation in a much lighter/more comfortable fashion. This is real handy if you fly with glasses (or even sunglasses). The other option are the passive "in the ear" types. These use foam plugs to seal the ear canal to get the desired attenuation level. Some people really like them (my wife loves hers), some like me not so much.

Your best bet would be to go somewhere (Airventure or Sun n Fun is always nice) where you can try several different ones on for comfort and performance. While I bought my first pair of Dave Clarks 25+ years ago blind, every other headset me or my wife have bought subsequently (a flitecom, several lightspeeds of various forms, and a clarity aloft) have been done after trying them at Oshkosh.

Low frequency noise is what destroys your hearing. ANR takes care of low frequency noise way better than any passive. Choose wisely, lest your hearing be like mine when you are my age.

Say what? :D

I like the Softcomm C-90 that I've been using for about 12 years. Good performance and comfortable.

YMMV, your head may be shaped differently than mine. Try before you buy.

I've seen like new Bose X headsets go for $250-$300 on Ebay. With buyer protection, you can't go wrong.

Back