Headset Suggestions

Bean Outdoors

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bean Outdoors
Just finished my PPL and take the family up regularly and need some extra head sets that aren't too pricey since I need a couple...any suggestions?

I had a pair of these for training. I liked them a lot.

https://smile.amazon.com/Rugged-Air...08680&sr=8-1&keywords=rugged+aviation+headset

I bumped up to RA900 model and hated them. The sound was good, mic was good... but the headband is made of Satan's spring steel, and clamps on to your head like it is holding on for dear life. It's weird because they're basically the 200 with a flex mic, but my level of disdain for those things is fairly high.

I just got the QT Halo's and they're fantastic. They're an in-ear option if that interests you at all. I really like the freedom of putting on sunglasses without a headclamp giving my head sunglasses shaped impressions after an hour in the air.

The nice thing about buying different headsets is that if you don't like a pair, they become passenger sets. =D

If you can clean out some closets and garage of no longer used items, sell them on eBay or craigslist, and raise the extra money for a main line ANR set such as the Zulu.2's or Bose A20's, you will be very happy in the long run. A comfortable headset with good hearing protection is a very good investment in your future flying career.

But if budget is still a hurdle, then the Quiet Technologies Halo and the Clarity Aloft is worth considering. They are in-ear PNR models, but come very close to the quietness of many ANR models.

LightSPEED Sierra's are a lot of bang for the buck.

They routinely give a credit for old headsets - $250 or so. Worth digging up some old broken headsets somewhere to get that credit if the offer is still in place.

I have a pair of these: https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/3583-gca-anr.aspx actually mine are the ones with bluetooth but essentially the same. There was a deal through Barnstormers to get get this set for $20 off. I ordered them and they ran out so shipped me the bluetooth for the same discounted price.

They aren't fancy but the ANR works decent.

I have a pair of A20, a pair of Halo, and 3 pairs of rugged air that ircphoenix posted above. I loved the A20 until I got the Halo. Now the wife has the Bose and everyone else gets the rugged air. Everyone is happy.

I had a pair of Marv Goldens, they gave me and everyone who wore them headaches.

I'm still in training and bought a set of the ASAs a few weeks ago. So far I'm quite happy with them. I bought the cloth earpiece covers, and with those the headset is quite comfortable and the sound is good. I think they're a good value, and if you're looking for passenger headsets they'd be quite acceptable. They have a lifetime warranty and ASA has a good reputation for honoring it if you have a problem.

david clark 10-13x best value now as the are pushing the new model just around $640 now and the best co to buy from . you never go wrong with dc

If you can clean out some closets and garage of no longer used items, sell them on eBay or craigslist, and raise the extra money for a main line ANR set such as the Zulu.2's or Bose A20's, you will be very happy in the long run.

I was going to suggest the opposite route and clean out someone else's closet by buying a used set on eBay or craigslist. Just be sure to save some room in the budget for replacing the more personal parts (i.e. ear pads and head pads).

BTW, since the OP implied these are for pax, make sure whatever you get are durable and easy to operate. Non-pilots don't always know the best way to use or care for headsets. Also, on some planes the back seats aren't as noisy so you won't have to be as picky for those.

Back