Headset ANR Static

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
I have a Zulu3 headset. Flying a few days back I had a loud hiss / static. I turned the radio volume on the 650 all the way down, but hiss was still there. Wasn't there in the morning flight - the only thing different was my window vent was open a lot more on the return flight.

Sounded similar to if you had a bad squelch. But as I mentioned, I turned the radio volume all the way down with no change, thus I think it was the headset.

Weak batteries? Was the ANR getting overwhelmed by the sound of air from the vents?

What is the remedy?

I have 4 Zulu 3's and a Tango wireless. I've never experienced that problem with any of them. It sounds like it could actually be the wind breaking the squelch. The wind WILL mess with mine sometimes.

I have 4 Zulu 3's and a Tango wireless. I've never experienced that problem with any of them. It sounds like it could actually be the wind breaking the squelch. The wind WILL mess with mine sometimes.
Yes, that. Pull the foam off the mic and adjust the pot; the mic gain is set too high and the wind noise is tripping the intercom squelch.

Last edited:
Appreciate the help - I found the mic gain (didn't know there was one) and gave it a quarter turn left to get it down a bit. THANKS!

Had a similar issue with the pfx. Didn't know about mic gain. Brought a set of Bose. Less clamping force and way better on batteries.

Yep - have it on my Lightspeed PFX. Factory says they can find nothing wrong.

Update - flew the past weekend for the first time since I adjusted the mic gain. Issue completely gone. Excellent suggestion, many thanks.

Back