Headings

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
Looking for an easier way to teach all the heading corrections required when doing flight planning. Otherwise, it's alphabet soup.

Of course, one could just use the basic Jepp flight planning log, where it's already spelled out. I think my kneeboard also has a formula on it, but it's out in the car (again).

And, I cannot remember off the top of my head.

It's something like: MC+-SD=TC. Then, TC+_WCA+_MD=MH :confused:

I should know this, as I prepare for my oral exam in a few days. Sort of embarrassing I can't recite it off the top of my head.

not really the kind of thing you have to have memorized.

true course is measured off the sectional. then factor wind for true heading, correct for magnetic variation for mag. heading, then factor deviation for compass heading.

True Virgins Make Dull Companions; Add Whiskey.

True heading +/-
Variation equals
Mag heading +/-
Deviation equals
Compass heading
+West

Can Dead Men Vote Twice At Elections?

Compass heading +/-
Deviation equals
Mag heading +/-
Variation equals
True heading
+East

No, the first one is not politically correct, but I haven't found a student yet (male or female) who can't remember it, and I've not found an equally rememberable phrase to replace it.

The instructions are printed on the Whiz Wheel and you're prompted for it if you use an electronic E6B.

So what's to memorize?

Of all the completely useless mnemonics in aviation, this one may be close to the top of the chart.

Unless of course, there's one to help you figure out how to read an ASI.

As an aside, I've found that the way to remember which of the corrections is "Deviation" is to remember that "The deviants are in the cockpit!"

Back