Heading to Chicago

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
Hey all-

I have been working on vacation plans with the wife and kids - where to go and what to do. Of course, my first thought is "Where can I go with the plane!?!" I am about to close on a partnership deal on a PA-28-181 and just want to go somewhere. For vacation we have decided on Chicago from Springfield (MO.). It's a decent hop and no one in the family will start complaining before we are about to arrive.

I am still a low time pilot (150 hrs) and really need to stretch my wings a bit. I fly around KSGF (Class C) which is pretty quiet, over to Wichita (KICT) which can get fairly busy and up to Downtown St. Louis (KCPS). I am trying to pick out the right airport for both flying into, expense and ultimately getting to downtown Chicago.

Naturally my options are:

Gary Indiana (KGYY)
Fuel = $4.10 gal
Landing Fee = $0.00
Parking = $0.00 until 3rd night
45 minute drive
UberXL $89 ~ $116 (Or train from Gary = $20 one way (4 tickets) to Millennium Park Station – then uber or taxi to hotel)

Chicago Midway (KMDW)
Fuel = $8.17 gal
Landing Fee & Facility Fee = $47.50
Parking = $20 per night
25 minute drive
UberXL = $34 ~ $45

Chicago Executive (KPWK)
Fuel = $6.20 gal
Landing Fee / Handling Fee = $45
Tie Down = $25 per night
39 minute drive
UberXL = $59 ~ $78

Since I have never have flown into the area, what do you recommend? I am flying VFR (working on instrument). I am leaning towards Gary simply because the fuel is cheaper, the tie down is cheaper but the drive into town left something to be desired but in the grand scheme of things, meh - who cares. I am going on vacation.

What would you recommend for a family of 4 coming in for some vacation time? Gary seems low stress. I don't know about the train from Gary to downtown Chicago.

Any way, looking for some advice or recommendations if there are any.

Thanks-
Benjamin

Never been to Chicago GA, but really want to. (Blackhawks fan here.)

You've considered all the usuals, except for one. The "wow" factor. Not so much for you, but for the kids. My wife LOVES flying into big airports. She loves seeing big planes up close, sharing the same taxiways, etc.

If the cost isn't going to break the bank, I'd go to Midway. Seems like more fun, and it is a vacation.

There's a train from MDW to downtown:

http://www.transitchicago.com/orangeline/

I've done MDW and PWK, with the latter kinda out of the way. I second the 'wow' factor. You can think about stopping south of Chicago for cheaper fuel, and go into MDW. Controllers are very easy to work with.

Meigs is fantastically convienent to downtown, walking distance to several museums, and has stunning views of the skyline and lakefront. A gem of a GA airport.

Oh, yea. I forget.

That's why I don't contribute to Chicago's economy anymore. :mad:

Midway or Gary. Not a fan of Executive, most of the expense, most of the hassle, none of the fun.

I would pick Midway simply because it would be more of a "gee-whiz, I landed at a pretty busy Class C and got a nice view while doing so". Stop for fuel somewhere else if Midway's usurious prices are too much to stomach. Aurora is pretty much on the way for you and is a nice facility.

Make sure you fly up and down the lakeshore. One of the most beautiful flights one can do. Watch for the Class B altitudes from ORD and TFRs for sporting events at various venues that are close enough to stretch into the lake a bit.

I'd do MDW if I were you. GYY is not a bad option either. IFR or VFR work good. If you are coming VFR from the south west, call Chicago Approach about 10 SW of JOT on 119.35 and they will tag you up and work you into both. If you have time tell them you want to fly the lake shore. Fly between MDW and GYY to the shore then follow it up past the city do a 180 and advise inbound to MDW with the ATIS (just stay below the B). Make for some nice pictures.

Awesome advice! I am glad I asked. I was gung-ho on the GYY but starting to see the light for MDW. Although the family won't appreciate the larger airport like I will, they will appreciate being a lot closer to downtown.

I will absolutely make the shoreline flight happen! Now that you mention that I should, if I don't do it, I will regret it!

EDIT : I should asked which FBO is preferable for the small guys at MDW?

I'd do MDW if I were you. GYY is not a bad option either. IFR or VFR work good. If you are coming VFR from the south west, call Chicago Approach about 10 SW of JOT on 119.35 and they will tag you up and work you into both. If you have time tell them you want to fly the lake shore. Fly between MDW and GYY to the shore then follow it up past the city do a 180 and advise inbound to MDW with the ATIS (just stay below the B). Make for some nice pictures.
I second GYY..
MUCH cheaper, insanely NOT busy for Chicago, easy in and out, and you cannot beat the 30 minute South Shore train trip to Downtown. Either GYY FBO is a good choice, as well.

Awesome advice! I am glad I asked. I was gung-ho on the GYY but starting to see the light for MDW. Although the family won't appreciate the larger airport like I will, they will appreciate being a lot closer to downtown.

I will absolutely make the shoreline flight happen! Now that you mention that I should, if I don't do it, I will regret it!

EDIT : I should asked which FBO is preferable for the small guys at MDW?
I prepped to go to MDW for one trip but weather went south with likely icing conditions. Had to airline it into MDW. The pilots did a good job with not a lot of room for error there. Used the orange line to go downtown. Used a cab to get back to the airport. Overall the cab seemed like the better option if you have any luggage at all. It was an in/out business trip so not much positive to say about Chicago. Cold and windy.

I love Midway in a single engine airplane. I use Atlantic every time. So easy, and if you're not buying a ton of gas, the extra cost for the gas will be offset by the savings in transportation costs to get into downtown. Gary is a pretty good haul from downtown, and for me (in a single), it's just not worth it. NOW, I recently bought a big twin. A trip to Chicago probably burns 80 gallons. At that point, and with that much gas to buy, I'm probably going to Gary, given the $4/gal difference in fuel.

Midway is VERY easy in a single, and you'll find the controllers to be extremely accommodating.

I have been into Midway a few times.. It's really not that big of a deal.. I highly recommend doing the Chicago Flyway if you have time!

Speaking of the Chicago Flyway. I am looking at the TAC and see the altitudes noted off the shoreline, great. I don't see anything that noted northbound versus southbound traffic altitudes. This is truly VFR to the max. A lot of track and everyone right at the 2000'~2500' range.

I will have my Stratus on but that only picks up a few folks (especially on the VFR corridor). I will swing around and do a 180 somewhere north of town.. it just seems sketchy to all be at the same altitude but what are you going to do when the ceiling is 2500'.

I will pick up advisories from Chicago approach (if they can get me in)

You won't hear Chicago very well behind the buildings... just watch out for the helicopters.. usually very busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will pick up advisories from Chicago approach (if they can get me in)
They should have no problem working you up the shore and back. From the GYY/MDW area call 128.2 from the north use 120.55.

There isn't much altitude to play with, especially when ORD is landing west. When there is a conflict I will usually just bend the one I'm talking to east of the other. If I'm talking to both you will each pass to the right or 500 ft if able.

Enjoy.

Used to be a radio show called the Aventures of Chickenman. In four episodes he was kidnapped and held in a dungeon in Gary.

WW: I'm either in a remote RCMP outpost or a dungeon in Gary.
BOSS: Indiana?
WW: So that's where Gary is. Excuse me but a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman just brought me my lunch.

KGYY is a great option and just south of them is 05C. Fuel is usually cheap and I don't think there is a tiedown fee. If you go into KGYY, make sure you go to Gary Jet Center!

Chicago?

Want armament are you going to be carrying?

I think Midway is reasonable tame for GA.

I'm glad you didn't say O'Hare.

+1 for GYY

We flew in there last fall to visit family in Chicago. It was just a quick visit due to busy schedules, ours and theirs; just one day. GYY was easy and inexpensive. The folks at B Coleman were great. Got a ride to the train stop (not a station), they showed us how to signal the train, so they'd stop. We gave them a call at the station before Gary on the way back and they met us at the stop just after we got there.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Funny... You write "Chicago's murder rate isn't even in the top 100" and then you provide a link to the top 100 "dangerous" cities.

Here's some relevant stat's (Chicago is #8).
https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-not-most-dangerous-city-america/

Yup, different measurement. Chicago is #8 out of the top 30 largest cities. It's not even in the top 100 of cities over 25,000 people. Two different metrics. I think the one I shared is more interesting in terms of dispelling the myth that Chicago is unusually dangerous because there are *tons* of more dangerous areas that people generally don't even realize are dangerous.

Murders v danger is a point.
Small v large city is a point.

Make your judgements as you like in terms of visiting or not, but Chicago has a far worse reputation than it deserves.

Actually, I would disagree (and I lived there). Chicago has a BETTER reputation than it deserves.

To each her own. I was speaking exclusively of violence topic someone brought up, where it is objectively better than the vast majority of people seem to think. There are many other reasons to like or dislike a city. Chicago has great food, terrible winters and a famous lack of a downtown airport. To each her own.

06C is not bad either. I believe a train station is close.

IMG_3732.JPG All fine options I am sure... KGYY was the destination and B.Coleman FBO is awesome. The uberXL ride was $100.11 and worth it.

Assuming all of my stuff stays in the plane, the guys at Coleman and FBO are great.

The last, what, 2..3 governors in a row have been thrown in prison afterwards? :)

Back