HD Recomendation

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
As some of you may have read in this forum....My dad's HD on his Dell failed so he received a new one from them and that is working just fine.

The fried one, I had suspected just solely had a bad copy of XP in it, so I reformatted it and stuck it in my rig here.

....now I get a SMART warning indicating an oncoming failure....so it's time to replace it.

I have a Dell 8400 and my primary HD is a Seagate 160GB @ 7200 RPM. I need recommendations for a SATA HD that has screw holes on the side that will be compatible to mount inside my Dell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
I have a Dell 8400 and my primary HD is a Maxtor 160GB @ 7200 RPM. I need recommendations for a SATA HD (cheap and no bigger than 80 to 100 GB) that has screw holes on the side that will be compatible to mount inside my Dell.

Any hard drive will mount up fine.
http://www.newegg.com Is your friend.

There is a one day sale. $100 for a 250 gig western digital sata drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144179

Otherwise the going rate is about $60 for a 100 gig (maxtor)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144239

jangell said:
Any hard drive will mount up fine.
http://www.newegg.com Is your friend.

Yup :) That's the first place I went to look.

jangell said:
There is a one day sale. $100 for a 250 gig western digital sata drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144179

I don't need the 250 Gig, but that's a good deal.

jangell said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144239

I'll likely end up with that. I just wanted to see/make sure what was compatible.

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited:
jangell said:
Moore's law, I guess! I remember when HDs were $100 per meg and that was considered a good deal!

-Skip

Quick follow-up question - I haven't ordered a Hard Drive yet, but going to tonight/tomorrow.

I currently have a
Seagate ST-3160023AS (Barracuda 7200.7 160 Plus, Serial ATA) as my primary drive.

I'm looking at getting a
ST-3160812AS (Barracuda 7200.9 160, Serial ATA NCQ) which has SATA 2.0 w/NCQ.

Will the 2nd Barracuda with
SATA 2.0 w/NCQ be compatable with my computer, although the primary drive is only Serial ATA? I plan on also purchasing Norton Ghost 10.0 and use that in conjuntion with the two drives.

IOW: Will the SATA II drive work on my computer either with the SATA (I) cable or the SATA II cable? ...or do I have to buy a SATA I hard drive?

I believe my motherboard is a ACPI Multiprocessor PC?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:
Skip Miller said:
Moore's law, I guess! I remember when HDs were $100 per meg and that was considered a good deal!

-Skip

I remember paying a bit over $300 for a 20 MByte hard drive. Of course, that was a bit over 20 years ago. :D

Ghery said:
I remember paying a bit over $300 for a 20 MByte hard drive. Of course, that was a bit over 20 years ago. :D

You got a bargain. I paid about $400.

Jason, when in doubt, don't go for higher level features if you don't know you can support them.

Unless you get someone who really knows SATA chiming in about compatibility, you're better off going for the same features you've got in the current drive.

Greebo said:
Jason, when in doubt, don't go for higher level features if you don't know you can support them.

Unless you get someone who really knows SATA chiming in about compatibility, you're better off going for the same features you've got in the current drive.

Hey Chuck,

That's what I was thinking as well....at first. Problem is many drives are now coming in SATA II. I posted on tech-forums.net and will post the question on another forum just to see....

Jason

Good plan. If you can get the exact model # of your mother board (might be able to see it in the bios setup options) that will help people identify its capabilities too.

HPNPilot1200 said:
Quick follow-up question - I haven't ordered a Hard Drive yet, but going to tonight/tomorrow.

I currently have a
Seagate ST-3160023AS (Barracuda 7200.7 160 Plus, Serial ATA) as my primary drive.

I'm looking at getting a
ST-3160812AS (Barracuda 7200.9 160, Serial ATA NCQ) which has SATA 2.0 w/NCQ.

Will the 2nd Barracuda with
SATA 2.0 w/NCQ be compatable with my computer, although the primary drive is only Serial ATA? I plan on also purchasing Norton Ghost 10.0 and use that in conjuntion with the two drives.

IOW: Will the SATA II drive work on my computer either with the SATA (I) cable or the SATA II cable? ...or do I have to buy a SATA I hard drive?

I believe my motherboard is a ACPI Multiprocessor PC?

Thanks,

Jason

You should be fine. The SATA interface standards are backwards compatible.

NCQ is Native Command Queing which of course, requires a supporting disk controller to work. NCQ lets the controller and the disk work out the optimum sequence of disk requests so the heads thrash around less, which gives you better performance.

With your non-NCQ controller you just won't get the NCQ feature.

mikea said:
You should be fine. The SATA interface standards are backwards compatible.

NCQ is Native Command Queing which of course, requires a supporting disk controller to work. NCQ lets the controller and the disk work out the optimum sequence of disk requests so the heads thrash around less, which gives you better performance.

With your non-NCQ controller you just won't get the NCQ feature.

Thanks, Mike. When I bought this computer I purchased it with a [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing. I have a feeling the drive indeed has NCQ per my purchase specifications, so the NCQ may work on the new drive.

I'll go order it from Newegg now. Do I need any special cable or will by SATA I cable work fine?

Jason
[/FONT]

Well after installing Norton System Works 2006, I have lost ALL of my documents and pictures....ARGgg.

I have installed Windows XP again on this hard drive on the same partition and now it is even more screwed up, but will finally boot.

I have the 2nd hard drive here and was wondering if I would be able to pop that in to slot #1 and be able to install windows right on there with the CD. Will that not be possible due to partitions? (I'm not so great with HD's).... IOW: If I pop the new 160GB HD into slot #1 and pop the current drive in #2, will I be able to load windows on #1, or do I need to first create a partition on it.

Thanks.....

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
Well after installing Norton System Works 2006, I have lost ALL of my documents and pictures....ARGgg.

I have installed Windows XP again on this hard drive on the same partition and now it is even more screwed up, but will finally boot.

I have the 2nd hard drive here and was wondering if I would be able to pop that in to slot #1 and be able to install windows right on there with the CD. Will that not be possible due to partitions? (I'm not so great with HD's).... IOW: If I pop the new 160GB HD into slot #1 and pop the current drive in #2, will I be able to load windows on #1, or do I need to first create a partition on it.

Thanks.....

Jason

Norton SystemWorks: BAD news, IMHO. I have it on one machine, and it's been nothing but trouble. It doesn't even uninstall properly. I counted something like 1500 registry entries.

wsuffa said:
Norton SystemWorks: BAD news, IMHO. I have it on one machine, and it's been nothing but trouble. It doesn't even uninstall properly. I counted something like 1500 registry entries.
Yup.... Any suggestions on better software than Norton SystemWorks that does the similar funtions? Links?

I'd like to return Norton System Workx and pick up a good Anti-virus and back-up software.

Jason

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
Yup.... Any suggestions on better software than Norton SystemWorks that does the similar funtions? Links?

I'd like to return Norton System Workx and pick up a good Anti-virus and back-up software.

Jason

Norton AV is OK, though there are a couple of free alternatives. For firewalls, ZoneAlarm works OK (and there is also another one). There are a couple of alternatives to Ghost, I'd need to search for them. I use the backup system built into WinXP.

Back