Haven't Solo'd, Sill Struggling w/ Landings

My 2nd solo flight was in a full pattern. There’s still a recording on LiveATC where I sound exasperated cause I was asked to extend downwind again and they’ll call my base. I ended it after 3 turns cause it was getting too busy for me.

You know what gets you a clear pattern for your first solo? MVFR with ceilings that were “legal” and no one else flying, and hail hitting when you had just finished closing the hanger door. My instructor really wanted me to get it done. Calm winds though up till the hail.

The work and rush to fly is a HUGE issue.

You need to shift gears and get out of work mode into flying mode.

One reason that military flight training does so well. For 11 months you work, think, sleep, eat, flying. No shifting gears.

Good news, an instructor would not offer solo if you weren’t ready. You hesitated and shut it down. It’s ok, but what is your goal here?

Good point. Admittedly, my confidence dropped a bit that day, but overall, you're right, this is more about me than my instructor. I am feeling much more confident and will get-r-done!

Good point. Admittedly, my confidence dropped a bit that day, but overall, you're right, this is more about me than my instructor. I am feeling much more confident and will get-r-done!

Next time she offers, go for it as long as you feel you can do it. You'll be nervous, but just do what you've been doing.

Well . . . . I solo'd this morning! :happydance:

Three unassisted landings, then solo'd for a taxi-back, Touch & Go and full-stop. ATC was really patient with me (gonna send them some donuts!) on the radio, winds were non-existant, traffic pattern was busy and I was TO/Landing in the opposite heading than what I'm used to, but I adjusted well. Felt good working that right-rudder (mostly) to stay on the centerline. I swear the landings felt as natural as riding a bike.
Next is another solo, then learning short field TO's/Landings, then going into busier airspace. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice!

Last edited:
Well . . . . I solo'd this morning! :happydance:

Three unassisted landings, then solo'd for a taxi-back, Touch & Go and full-stop. ATC was really patient with me (gonna send them some donuts!) on the radio, winds were non-existant, traffic pattern was busy and I was TO/Landing in the opposite heading than what I'm used to, but I adjusted well. Felt good working that right-rudder (mostly) to stay on the centerline. I swear the landings felt as natural as riding a bike.
Next is another solo, then learning short field TO's/Landings, then going into busier airspace. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice!
Congrats

what difference does your heading make when landing?

what difference does your heading make when landing?

Should make none, and apparently it didn't matter for him, but....

For a first-solo student who has made all his landings on 09 and now has to land on 27, I can imagine things looking different could cause a little extra nervousness. For example, the student might have become accustomed to certain landmarks, like always turning base when over the red barn or whatever.

Terrain might also be a bit different. When I did my first solo at Apopka, I was glad I got to land on 15 instead of 33. I had done many landings on both and could do okay with either, but 15 was easier. The approach end of 33 isn't level; the runway goes uphill for a few hundred feet before leveling off. Also, the berms and nearby FBO building make the winds a bit squirrely at that end.

Exactly what @Half Fast said. Most, if not all of my landings have been on runway 22, but today it was runway 4. I'd gotten so used to referencing landmarks on downwind and base that I really didn't pay much attention to the heading indicator. This is something I'm looking forward to improving.

Congrats!! So keep at it and get the cert. Having your head outside almost all the time, especially while taking off and landing, is a GOOD thing.

Back