Haven't shot an approach in 3 weeks -- feels like eternity

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
So busy on ground study, 3 weeks have lapsed since my last precision and non-precision approaches.

I feel SO RUSTY.

This common?

Going back up Sat. with a safety pilot to get back in swing of things.

So busy on ground study, 3 weeks have lapsed since my last precision and non-precision approaches.

I feel SO RUSTY.

This common?

Don't feel bad. I've gotten some actual instrument time logged the last couple months but by the time we usually come back down, the ceiling is lifted back up... no approach to log. :(

I can't say how common it is not to have flown an approach in three weeks, but it is certainly common to feel rusty after going that long with no instrument practice, especially for those low on total instrument experience.

My last approach was sometime in 2007.

I just flew an approach to mins last week. It was a pretty hamfisted affair. It's amazing how hard you can make even a simple straight-in GPS approach if you're not at 100% proficiency. I debated letting Otto do the flying, since the wx was kinda hairy (bouncy, wet, low) but opted for the experience. One thing is for sure - I learn something from each and every approach I shoot.

Hmm, haven't flown anything since December. Feels like 5 or more eternities. Must be nice to have flown just three weeks ago or sooner. And I am a CFI. hmm

David

I can't say how common it is not to have flown an approach in three weeks, but it is certainly common to feel rusty after going that long with no instrument practice, especially for those low on total instrument experience.

Jeez, can't we just stop attacking those with low IMC time, and help them instead?

Last edited:
Jeez, can't we just stop attacking those with low IMC time, and help them instead?

That wasn't an attack -- just stating a fact.

Experience means you drop less proficiency between events.

As far as "helping them," all we can do is suggest IR pilots go out and fly in IMC.

If there is no IMC, maybe you don't need the rating?

That wasn't an attack -- just stating a fact.

Experience means you drop less proficiency between events.
Precisely.
As far as "helping them," all we can do is suggest IR pilots go out and fly in IMC.
...or under the hood.
If there is no IMC, maybe you don't need the rating?
There are still many times when operating IFR is to your advantage, not to mention that there are times even in PHX when it goes IMC.

I feel rusty like an old pair of pliers left out in the yard, and I much prefer to have periodic training, so I think Ron's spot-on here. I also endorse the OP's initial observations.

My wife does not understand why I prefer to file IFR when the WX is not bad enough to require it (and why is it that I always seem to have to wait ten minutes for IFR release when I do this???), but I like being in the system, and I think it helps to keep procedures and planning more up to snuff.

I feel rusty like an old pair of pliers left out in the yard, and I much prefer to have periodic training, so I think Ron's spot-on here. I also endorse the OP's initial observations.

My wife does not understand why I prefer to file IFR when the WX is not bad enough to require it (and why is it that I always seem to have to wait ten minutes for IFR release when I do this???), but I like being in the system, and I think it helps to keep procedures and planning more up to snuff.

If I was under a B shelf I would probably fly the system quite a bit too. But, if the weather is any sort of VFR I am not in the system. But around here we get flight following rather easy. :D

Caveat: If the winds over the top of a stratus layer are favorable, I'll get in the system and take advantage - well - I did....

I know one guy who files IFR even on CAVU days for a 15 minute flight. Works for him. Personally, I don't bother. I end up filing IFR enough generally for other reasons that it helps keep me proficient in the system, plus I do flight following on about 95% of my VFR trips, which helps you keep proficient with talking to ATC.

I definitely sympathize with not doing approaches in a while. The last approach I did was March 31st (my MEL check ride). That was also the last time I flew my Aztec until yesterday. The more you do, though, the quicker it comes back. I also hand fly most of the time. That helps keep my needle skills up.

Agreed. And since I don't fly as much as I used to, every other practice flight is with an instructor, and I always get in at least 3 approaches. Rust sets in fast!

I feel SO RUSTY.

This common?

You feel rusty? I haven't touched the controls since July 8. Between health and weather it just hasn't happened. I want my medical back! Maybe this Friday (if what I was told by NWM Region on Monday happens). Then, grab a CFI and a plane and make sure I can still aviate without bending anything. I need to convert some 100LL to noise!

Update - the SI and new medical were waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home. I think I'll call the good folks at NWM Region tomorrow and thank them for their great service.

Last edited:
Did an IPC on Sunday, shot an approach to near mins on Tuesday. :D

Back