Have you hugged your bear today?

Vids like this and ones from Kevin the Lion Whisperer make me long for similar experiences as bucket list items.

It would be ultra cool to be that close and cuddle with something that could end your lights with a single paw swipe.

Until a single paw swipe ends your lights, anyway.

I tried to, but he mauled me!

The bear bites his knee and he says, "OW!" then he moves the bear's head closer to a more tender, and I would argue, a more important extremity...

I have seen so many sad or horrible outcomes from people messing with wild animals that I am pretty much against it now.

Pop quiz:
"Wildlife. It's called that because it belongs in the _ _ _ _"

Gentle Ben the tv show in the late 60’s left a huge impression on me...still smile every time I see one and clueless why they are hunted...no problem with hunting as I am active participant in every North American species other than Bears...

Gentle Ben the tv show in the late 60’s left a huge impression on me...still smile every time I see one and clueless why they are hunted...no problem with hunting as I am active participant in every North American species other than Bears...

Same for me. The bears is part of my attraction to Alaska. Nothing like being 50 feet away from a huge mature male grizzly and being able to smell him and hear him breathe, and having his girlfriend of the week behind us. And the only defensive weapon I had was a flare.

These guys, mom and cub were a little too close to aim the camera. I just clicked and hoped for the best.

Attachments

• 100_0901.JPG
    100_0901.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 14

Around here they used to be considered
I have seen so many sad or horrible outcomes from people messing with wild animals that I am pretty much against it now.

Pop quiz:
"Wildlife. It's called that because it belongs in the _ _ _ _"

I tend to get along well with wild animals of all sorts. I think it must have something to do with pheromones because we seem to be able to read each other pretty well. The local chipmunks and skunks eat from my hand, as do the deer and foxes from time to time. The raccoons and possums ignore me, and I ignore them. Except for rabid raccoons, of course. They get humanely dispatched.

I generally don't mess with the bears, but I don't run away from them either. We just sort of wave at each other and go about our respective business. I don't know the official numbers, but they seem way overpopulated to me this year.

Rich

Back