Have you ever landed at the wrong airport?

Have you mistakenly landed at field other than your intended field?

• Yes

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 91.5%

• Total voters
No, but I once forgot to flip the freq. I was monitoring to the active freq and made several radio calls on 123.0 when I should have been tranmitting on 122.9.

Never me, but I was working at a small airport when a Merlin landed, unloaded 5 pax. The pilot started in about rental cars and catering. I thought he was going to pop a heart valve when I had no clue what he was talking about. His boss laughed so hard he had to sit down, once we figured out they were at the wrong airport. They were still laughing at the poor guy as the door closed..

almost landed at Beale Air Force Base back in the early 80s

It was my 2nd flight flying the Bonanza, and getting no help from my dad who was sound asleep in the right seat

I just picked my way through the foothills around clouds and had the Turlock airport on my nose

or so i thought until my dad woke up and asked me why there was a c–5a on downwind at turlock which has only about 3000 feet of runway if i recall correctly.

i did a quick 180 and got out of there

But Beale is SO big and Turlock SO small. Yep, we all do it.

No, but on solo x country landed at the right airport then proceeded to take off on taxi-way. Never told my CFI :D

But Beale is SO big and Turlock SO small. Yep, we all do it.

Turlock was the shortest runway I ever took off.

As I said, I was just learning to fly the Bonanza (“learning” being the operative word, because my dad was no teacher/instructor)

Bear in mind, I Was 21 years old and had 50 hours total time then, so I deferred to my dad when he overruled my decision to just fill the main tanks and topped off all 4 of them (for a one-hour flight)

When we landed in red Bluff, I got out and looked underneath for tree branches that I swore I picked off the trees at the end of the Turlock airport

I landed at a closed airport once, but it wasn't NOTAMed closed when I got my briefing just before take off. When I got there tower toldme they were closed due to VP (Quail) being there (he wasn't but the 707 and a C-141 were). I told them that if they were going to close they should have let me know before I left St Louis because I had business on the field and had flown in to Evansville to look at an airplane for sale. A moment later they gave me a clearance to land. A SS agent walked up and looked at the plane as my friends and I climbed out, and that was all there was to that.

On a dual cross country in 1984, even before Loran,:yikes: we were going to Montgomery AL, which is about 5 miles from Maxwell Air Force base, to a student pilot the base looked a lot like MGM. My CFI had been there before and didn't let me really screw up, but I would have landed at the wrong airport. :nonod: I did learn to pay more attention to where I was and where I was going. Another time a couple years ago I was letting my son fly us to Greenville SC, there are two or three airports in close proximity to each other and the identifiers are I dialed in the wrong one in the GPS! I so we were tracking right to the airport, it was just the wrong airport.:nono: Anyway, I figured it out and all ended well. :D

Back