Have you ever heard of diaphragmatic paralysis

kell490

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
k490
My diaphragm is paralyzed on the right side I have been told I had an elevated right diaphragm for last 9 years but no symptoms first doctor said not to worry about it no symptoms. My O2 level is 96% I ski 12k feet mountains without getting winded. Spirometer test do not show normal function since not able to fully inflate the right lung.

Last year I got a bad chest cold GP sent me for a Sniff test to look into the diaphragm. The fluoroscope xray (sniff test) results were no movement on right side. The GP attempted to send me for an MRI of my neck see why the Phrenic nerve was damaged. Insurance would not approve (Cigna) kept replying I had to go to PT for neck pain first which I don't have neck pain. I saw a Pulmonologist I got a PFT test she said my function was 80% which was normal, but my lung on the right side does not fill completely my body has adapted over the years.

I was also diagnosed with 60 events per hour OSA o2 drops into the 70 while sleeping so been using a cpap for 2 years plus 6-7 hours a night 1.4 AHI. The OSA while it could be related to the diaphragm I was diagnosed when I was heavier then I'm now.

Currently I'm about 218 lbs 5'7 losing weight goal is down to 150 so I can try get off the cpap overall better health. I want to try and get re-tested for OSA when I hit 150 see if my OSA can be resolved with weight loss before I try to pass the medical.

I want to get my PPL but now I wonder if passing a class 3 medical is even worth the trouble I know I can manage the OSA getting an SI since I have over 2 years of recorded treatment good results avg 6 plus hours at 1.4 AHI. Will the FAA have a problem with the Diaphragm paralysis on one side? I have searched on this only thing I found was lung function nothing about PD. I rather just go sport pilot and glider if the FAA has a problem with the PD so I don't end up being disqualified.

My goal is VFR and gliders but I still think i want power planes maybe experimental or ELSA. I know a medical is not needed for a glider but if I can get past the medical I could get a PPL and later go basic med which would allow more privileges then light sport. I'm assuming I only need to pass and get an SI once then I can go basic medical, or I'm I stuck with SI for ever?

Last edited:
I have heard of it and even caused it when doing intrascalene nerve blocks (a known possible effect where the paralysis duration is limited to the duration of action of the local anesthetic used - typically under 24 hours).
Given that there are many possible causes of a unilateral phrenic nerve palsy, I would assume the FAA would at a minimum require a full workup before a medical would be issued. Even absent a FAA medical, I would want to know the etiology or at least rule out some of the more significant possibilities.

common malady. should pose no problem, but faa will want to see the latest doctor,'s notes on it. report it as a separate condition.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back