have the panel open, what else would you do?

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Ok, so I'm at the end of a long engine overhaul project, just working on installing the JPI engine monitor now, and tearing out the old engine instruments and an ADF while I'm at it.

Anyway..... while I've got all the wiring bundles opened up, what else would you do? Keep in mind I've spent way over my budget already on the overhaul, so I'm not looking to spend much, but if there's something I can save a ton of money on while I'm in there, I'd rather do it now.

Current avionics are
G5
SL-30 with glide slope
MX-170B with VOR
DME
card DG (vacuum)

My first thought was to replace the DG and glide slope with a G5 HSI, but that really adds nothing but an HSI instead of a regular glidslope VOR, for 3 grand of hardware. I can't get rid of vacuum system by doing this because of the wing leveler on the mooney. I plan on dealing with vacuum when I spring for an autopilot and replace the wing leveler.

Next thought was replacing the transponder with the garmin ADS-B out solution, but not very exciting, 3+ grand, and probably will be cheaper ways to get to ADS-B.

Getting more far fetched is replacing the MX-170B with another SL-30 so that I can move my DME over into the center radio stack (it's currently way over on the right side of the plane, but that would require also buying a G5 HSI or losing the 2nd VOR. So, that means either LESS functionality, or more than $6k of hardware.

The logical choice would be to put a 430waas in place of the MX-170B, but I can't scrape up $8 for that right now, even if I don't bother with the IFR certification paperwork. I really want to save up for a 650 in a year or two instead.

Sigh, I guess I'll do nothing and rip it all back apart again later.

Ok, so I'm at the end of a long engine overhaul project, just working on installing the JPI engine monitor now, and tearing out the old engine instruments and an ADF while I'm at it.

Anyway..... while I've got all the wiring bundles opened up, what else would you do? Keep in mind I've spent way over my budget already on the overhaul, so I'm not looking to spend much, but if there's something I can save a ton of money on while I'm in there, I'd rather do it now.

Current avionics are
G5
SL-30 with glide slope
MX-170B with VOR
DME
card DG (vacuum)

My first thought was to replace the DG and glide slope with a G5 HSI, but that really adds nothing but an HSI instead of a regular glidslope VOR, for 3 grand of hardware. I can't get rid of vacuum system by doing this because of the wing leveler on the mooney. I plan on dealing with vacuum when I spring for an autopilot and replace the wing leveler.

Next thought was replacing the transponder with the garmin ADS-B out solution, but not very exciting, 3+ grand, and probably will be cheaper ways to get to ADS-B.

Getting more far fetched is replacing the MX-170B with another SL-30 so that I can move my DME over into the center radio stack (it's currently way over on the right side of the plane, but that would require also buying a G5 HSI or losing the 2nd VOR. So, that means either LESS functionality, or more than $6k of hardware.

The logical choice would be to put a 430waas in place of the MX-170B, but I can't scrape up $8 for that right now, even if I don't bother with the IFR certification paperwork. I really want to save up for a 650 in a year or two instead.

Sigh, I guess I'll do nothing and rip it all back apart again later.

Buy a Brttain DG adapter for the wing leveler, then install the G5 HSI, boom, Brittain wing lever now follows G5 heading bug. Then add a GTN650.

Always remember the most expensive component in the panel is the Audio panel. A new audio panel requires re-wiring of 80% of the radios. It's always best to redo the radios with an audio panel at the same time to dramatically reduce labor costs.

Many pony-up for the GNS-430W since they are well known and don't require an authorized Garmin dealer to install. Saving for a GTN-650 is probably a great idea. The gold standard for ADS-B In/Out is the GTX-345 or the L3 Lynx 9000. If you are installing a 650 or even a 430, you want ADS-B in. Cheaping out on ADS-B has an impact on aircraft value.

If you have to skate by with the minimum for ADS-B compliance, the standard is Garmin's GDL-82 for ADS-B out only. It's a unit that could be resold with low depreciation in a year and a half or two for some else who urgently needs to be compliant and does not want to work through a Garmin dealer e.g. like the 430 today.

Installation is low cost: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540911

Last edited:
Always remember the most expensive component in the panel is the Audio panel. A new audio panel requires re-wiring of 80% of the radios. It's always best to redo the radios with an audio panel at the same time to dramatically reduce labor costs.

Many pony-up for the GNS-430W since they are well known and don't require an authorized Garmin dealer to install. Saving for a GTN-650 is probably a great idea. The gold standard for ADS-B In/Out is the GTX-345 or the L3 Lynx 9000. If you are installing a 650 or even a 430, you want ADS-B in. Cheaping out on ADS-B has an impact on aircraft value.

I'd say labor wise, audio panel is the second most expensive. Equipment cost wise - audio panels are cheap.

Top equipment costs are WAAS navigators and autopilots. Autopilots may surpass audio panels in labor expenses.

Agree, audio panel labor is the most expensive second to autopilot installations. Most Av shops double to slightly more than double the cost of audio panel for labor to install. Modern audio panels take 17-22 hours to install. The whole panel is nearly rewired when an audio panel is installed and labor for new radios is nearly free.

When I hear someone wants to switch out or move their 2 radios, time to think about upgrading the audio panel, since the audio panel is largely being rewired any way.

I dumped my DME when I upgraded my G430 to G430W. Sold it for $470 on eBay and gained a few pounds of useful load.

Last edited:
Not sure what flying you do, but if you're flying IMC some type of HSI would be a really good investment.

I'd also second dumping the DME of you have of are getting a GNS or similar

Not sure what flying you do, but if you're flying IMC some type of HSI would be a really good investment.

I'd also second dumping the DME of you have of are getting a GNS or similar
I'm just about to start for my IR once the plane is back together, but I have no intention of flying in much IMC as a rule.

I'm just about to start for my IR once the plane is back together, but I have no intention of flying in much IMC as a rule.

You'll be happier with a HSI, I really wouldn't want to go back to a DG and nav head, HSIs really make a difference.

Because of your inexperience with instrument flying, I think you're underestimating the value of an hsi.

Back