Have my first Angel Flight next week...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
I've been asking to become involved as a co-pilot with other AF pilots until my hours increase and I get my IR, and have the opportunity next week. I would much prefer that my community volunteer hours go toward flying those in need vs. sitting in a meeting room once a month. It's sometimes difficult to fly co-pilot if the patient has a passenger with them (for weight and balance reasons), so I'm glad that this one is working out.

I know some have mixed feelings about AF and I'm not trying to poke that bear. Just looking forward to doing some flying to help someone vs. poking holes in the sky for XC or IFR training.

Have a good weekend all...

I'm curious why people have mixed feelings about angel flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious why people have mixed feelings about angel flight?

I haven't heard anything negative since I've been a pilot, but back in the 90s, there were some abuses. There were some cases of AF execs uses the service for their own personal transportation.

I have been a member of AF West and Mod-Atlantic and never encountered any such issues.

Any experience anyone with AF in the Northeast?

Go and do it without hesitation. Its very rewarding. I have been doing for 10 + years with 3-4 missions per year average and glad I did it. Not only you get to fly for a purpose vs boring a hole in the sky but most passengers are very grateful and you feel good at the end of the day. Tax write off is a perk but also you can get your feet wet with class B airports without paying any fees.

I have been with AF east for last 6-7 years. What exactly you want to know

Just general impressions/experience, just as you provided...

I signed up, went through the online training, got cleared to take missions. A month later I resigned, having never flown a mission. My plane was in annual, and no matter what I did, I could NOT get them to stop texting me with missions every hour. Annoying as all hell. They may be a great organization, but I decided that if they can't get that one little thing right, I didn't want anything to do with them.

I signed up, went through the online training, got cleared to take missions. A month later I resigned, having never flown a mission. My plane was in annual, and no matter what I did, I could NOT get them to stop texting me with missions every hour. Annoying as all hell. They may be a great organization, but I decided that if they can't get that one little thing right, I didn't want anything to do with them.

I'm curious given the evident availability of missions why you never flew one?

Which AF? Each one operates a little differently, but I've never been bugged like that by AF West or Mid-Atlantic.

With MA, I get a daily email with new missions and occasionally an email with short notice Flights, but never a phone call or text.

Which AF? Each one operates a little differently, but I've never been bugged like that by AF West or Mid-Atlantic.

With MA, I get a daily email with new missions and occasionally an email with short notice Flights, but never a phone call or text.

AF West. I'm based at KSCK. Tried every setting, called, everything. I was getting at least 5 texts a day. I finally gave up and cancelled.

Do the AF orgs reimburse anything? Landing fees? Could get expensive at big airports...

Do the AF orgs reimburse anything? Landing fees? Could get expensive at big airports...

They don't re-imburse, but expenses are generally tax deductible. That said, most FBOs do not charge fees for AF missions. Even Signature is pretty good about waiving their fees.

Occasionally you'll get an FBO that charges, but they usually get trashed in comments on ForeFlight or Airnav.

They don't re-imburse, but expenses are generally tax deductible. That said, most FBOs do not charge fees for AF missions. Even Signature is pretty good about waiving their fees.

Occasionally you'll get an FBO that charges, but they usually get trashed in comments on ForeFlight or Airnav.
Tell the coordinators about FBO/airport issues and they'll set future missions to go to another FBO or airport if possible.

But, yes the FBOs are great, even Signature. They typically waive fees and often give discounts on fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AF West. I'm based at KSCK. Tried every setting, called, everything. I was getting at least 5 texts a day. I finally gave up and cancelled.
There's supposed to be an option on your profile for receiving emails ans texts.

Tell the coordinators about FBO/airport issues and they'll set future missions to go to another FBO or airport if possible.

But, yes the FBOs are great, even Signature. They typically waive fees and often give discounts on fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
True. I've flown my Beech 18 into TEB a couple times and didn't pay a dime

Nono reimbursements. But the FBO's at the bigger places I flew to would waive any ramp fee and provide a few schmeckles off of the per gallon price on fuel.

I've been a member of AFW for several years. I've never heard anything negative about it. I do get text messages now and then when they are looking for a last minute pilot, but those aren't enough to be annoying.

Northeast is covered by PALS also. They have some reimbursement. You would have to go on the website and check.

I don't have any good advice to offer, but from what I know, It is a really good thing. Helping people that really need it is pretty noble in my book. I have the IR but have not hit 250 hrs yet. When I do it is something I would like to to be a part of when I can, my free time is very limited, but if I use flying to help someone in need, it's worth it. I would spend the money poking holes in the sky anyway, might as well help someone that needs it in the meantime, whether I get any kind of reimbursement or not.

Back