Hauling puppies

But you're not flying under PnP auspices. PnP is just the bulletin board at the airport. PnP is not the sending or receiving organization. Do we have a tax lawyer around who can comment.?

I could be wrong, but I believe Steve IS a tax lawyer...or at least, some sort of lawyer. :)

As for PnP trips in general, I've done probably a dozen or so, and have had twice as many cancel for various reasons, sometimes at the last second with pretty lame reasons.

But as Mike pointed out, it's less frustrating if you work with a regular group of folks who've done it before and know what they're doing. Just last week I personally adopted two dogs from a rescue organization for whom I've flown trips in the past. Now that's pretty awesome!

Attachments

• dogs.jpg
    dogs.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 51
The system works pretty good for these flights, but it seems like there's a better solution for getting pilots and rescues together than constantly scanning the PnP site.
Don't you get emails based on your profile (AIRPORT_ID: and Distance willing to fly one way:).

Still pretty loose from a coordination standpoint, but I at least see every potential mission in my general area. I never scan the PnP site unless I happen to be making a long trip somewhere.

Great job, Ron! I can't wait to get back to animal rescue as my kids get a bit more comfortable with longer flights.

Ha I saw the recent videos. Trey may be ready but Ruby seems to like it on the ground a bit better.

I've flown 43 PnP rescue flights and transported 190 dogs since 2011. I've learned much in the process. I think many of us get involved because it sounds like fun / kind of a cool thing to do. It is! But as you start to work with certain groups you become aware of the issues that drive the need for these flights which is often heart wrenching. I would like to emphasize the following:

• Do Your Due Diligence
As mentioned earlier, one of the differences between PnP and some of the other rescue groups is that PnP does no vetting of the requests; the onus for legitimacy is on us (pilots). If a rescue flight goes "bad" they will not stand behind you as a pilot but remind all parties of the disclaimer on their pages: "Rescue flights are the responsibility of the sending and receiving parties and pilots. Pilots N Paws is only an electronic meeting place for those seeking to make arrangements for rescue flights. Pilots N Paws does not arrange for rescue flights, coordinate transports and/or rescue animals."​
I unfortunately experienced this first hand on my 4th flight when I ignorantly (and innocently) got caught in a dispute between sending and receiving parties after repositioning for the first-leg on a multi-pilot, multi-state flight. Before I knew what was happening Police and ACO (animal control officers) in two states were involved and I was caught in the middle of a real-to-life dog caper. I honestly thought I was making the flight under the auspices of PnP; when I contacted PnP for help and asked that they speak with the rescue groups and knock some sense in them (I actually got through to someone while standing on the tarmac), they washed their hands of the matter and reminded me of the disclaimer on all the pages. Unfortunately that sentiment took volunteerism to a new level and required I reach out to AOPA Legal for help.

I've seen this same attitude of PnP "Admin" on their bulletin board (even recently) ... instead of taking the lead when pilots raise questions about certain groups or legalities, their response is often defensive and along the lines of "let's remember we are doing this for the animals" and "why can't we all get along?" What we need is a customer-centric approach: "let us use our resources to understand the issue and we'll immediately communicate what we learn to all pilots." I've never seen that happen.
  • Don't Compromise On The Required Paperwork
In the excitement of some puppy love, keep in mind once these dogs are on our planes and carried across state lines, we (pilots) are the transport of record. If dogs are found to be sick, stolen, or do not meet some other import criteria, we can be held accountable.

One of the first lines of defense is to ensure the sending group includes valid Health Certificate or CVI (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) with the dogs. I recently flew for a group that uses KHNZ as their pickup point. When I asked about the CVI's they responded "pilots don't need certificates because its a private transfer - instead, we send the dogs along with an Animal Report Card that is more detailed." They went on to say they have transferred dozens of dogs this way using many different PnP pilots.

When I indicated I had gone to the NJ Dept of AG website (the dogs final destination) and confirmed this requirement ... and that I would by happy to ask one of their officers to call them, they very quickly back peddled and indicated they would have the certificates. Unfortunately, many volunteer pilots don't understand any of this (there is no mentoring of new pilots on behalf of PnP), and jump in as innocently as I once did. These rescues know what's needed and in some cases are clearly taking advantage of pilots ignorance or those just getting their feet wet. If the rescue is not aware of the regs, it should not be our role as pilots to educate them nor do I believe they should be making requests on PnP w/o some kind of supervision. PnP says there are too many requests to moderate ... they obviously have not participated in active discussion forums where we know its done successfully all the time.

A Health Report Card is not a valid document for interstate transport, nor is it a legal Health Certificate. Candidly, this is a ploy for groups to save money on vet bills and one for which I have no tolerance. Any request on PnP where the Health Certificate field indicates "at the discretion of the pilot" or "if needed" should be carefully scrutinized or even flagged. And do check the paperwork the morning of the flight.

I made it very clear to the rescue group that sending a volunteer pilot over state lines w/o the proper paperwork was a) putting the pilot at risk for being fined or cited and b) the dogs at risk for being confiscated. And then what would be the point? It has happened. Although its rare for us to be met by an ACO at the small airports we use, land with a plane full of dogs enough times and you will (I've been met 3 times out of the 43 flights).
  • As Pilots, Let's Keep an Eye on PnP
After PnP was featured on the NBC Nightly News, I noticed the verbiage on some of their "Donate Now" buttons had changed to "All proceeds go directly to our mission of providing free transport for rescue animals." Hmm ... we know who is providing the free transport and its not PnP. If I were a layperson visiting their site that would lead me to believe my monies were going to pay for these flights, not that the monies were being used to "facilitate" the transport of rescue animals, or bring awareness to the issues of overpopulation. I have to believe that change in phraseology was no accident but carefully crafted by a wordsmith.

Our relationship to PnP as pilots is an interesting one; on one hand they say the flights are not for them but for the rescue groups and PnP has no accountability. On the other they refer to us as "PnP pilots" and benefit from the success we bring to the program in both exposure and possible donations to the organization. Yes, this is about the animals, but I don't want to see our generosity abused as can happen with many non-profits.

For a lot of us these flights fill many needs. For me, its everything from the humanitarian aspect to new flying experiences; the challenge of coordinating schedules and the camaraderie of working with pilots and very compassionate folks on the ground that share a common cause. But in the four years I've participated I've learned of just as many pilots that have dropped out after a flight or two as they felt they were being taken advantage of by questionable groups. It does happen, so just be careful (and alert) out there!

Last edited:
Wow, Rick. Very informative post... Interesting...

This is one of the reasons I only fly dogs for 3-4 organizations that I know well and are 501(c)3.

Wow. That any organization would hang people that far out on a limb, putting significant personal assets and equipment at risk, amazes me.

Wow. That any organization would hang people that far out on a limb, putting significant personal assets and equipment at risk, amazes me.

I made one flight....never again.

This is one of the reasons I only fly dogs for 3-4 organizations that I know well and are 501(c)3.
Agree - this is what many of us end up doing - flying for a handful of groups where everyone understands a successful flight is a partnership. I also shy away from single dog flights (unless its something like a 150# wolfhound). To each their own but I'm not interested in being a delivery service and only make rescue-to-rescue flights. There is too much demand out of NC and with a limited budget, I try to maximize the effectiveness of every mission.

Care to share those organizations?

Maybe a whole new thread that covers charitable orgs for which we can fly, their restrictions, and some personal experiences with the parent org could be a great thread.

Great post Rick, as someone who's been looking to participate in PnP that's great information. I was unaware of the health certificate issue. I saw it all the time on various postings but didn't fully understand it.

I did almost get caught in a non-rescue flight on there once, thankfully another pilot (or moderator?) asked the right questions and after we both did research found out the lady was requesting transport for a dog she had, we believe, sold to it's new owners. I take a closer look now at what I volunteer for now.

It's hard to look negatively at an organization that claims to be doing work that you fully support, like PnP. But you're right, it's probably a good idea to keep a close eye on what they're doing. I am curious since they basically just have the website and go to various trade shows, what they're doing with the donations they receive. As a 501c3 aren't their records available to the public?

Maybe a whole new thread that covers charitable orgs for which we can fly, their restrictions, and some personal experiences with the parent org could be a great thread.

There are tons of them and they change regularly.

Instead of trying to keep a list current what PnP does is indicate in the transport request whether or not the organization(s) involved claim to be charitable. If no, then you're done. If yes, then you can do a quick search to verify their claim. So no list is really necessary.

The main ones I will fly for are:

Mountain Pet Rescue, Winter Park, CO (Coordinator: Sybil Miller)

Texas Sporting Breeds Rescue, Denton, TX (Coordinator: Jennifer B )

Concho Valley Rescue, San Angelo, TX.

Blanche (Murphey) also flies for MPR. My dog, Sugar, is an MPR rescue that I adopted before we made the flight.

What attracts me to these three is that they have a someone on their staff that really works hard to coordinate the transports and do it well. Between sending fosters, pilots, vets, ground transport, receiving fosters, and more, they get all of us on the same page, organize the mission, and make sure it all comes off well. Makes the pilot's job an easier task.

Working with experienced coordinators also helps because they understand we are volunteering our time and expensive flying money to make this happen. So they do all they can to make the flight worthwhile for the pilot, dogs, and themselves.

Looks like he's ready to get out of that crate for many reasons...

That's when I tell my boys "put your lipstick away!" ;)

Just saw this posted by the Pilots N Paws facebook page; Tim Winters is getting famous!

Awesome that you got that little boy his dog for Christmas Tim.

[url]http://www.kfvs12.com/story/27718464/puppy-left-for-dead-gets-new-home-for-christmas#.VKGcUOhw8RM.facebook[/URL]

Thanks Fred but it was nothing that anyone else here wouldn't have done given the same opportunity and time to do it. It was indeed a special trip though.

Since this thread has morphed into a discussion of PnP and its shortcomings, I'll share my take on it...I'm not as "PnP experienced" as some here, I've only completed about 2 dozen PnP trips over two years, but here's my take:

* I too find it inexcusable that PnP doesn't vet their "trip request" posters to make sure they are legitimate NFP rescues and not breeders taking advantage of the situation. It would be easy for them to pre-qualify and only allow legitimate entities to post trip requests. One must be careful.

* Some rescues are far better at coordinating the trips than others. I fly a lot of dogs for our local shelter and I've found that I just need to take the lead on those trips and do all the coordination. No one at that rescue has the expertise or time to do the coordination. Besides, these folks aren't pilots and many times don't understand the finer points of coordinating a trip...like the fact that most of us don't like going into big airports.

*There's a lot of scuttlebutt going around about PnP overpaying their executives, that they don't do anything, etc., etc. If you're unfortunate enough to get on Jim Carney's email list, you'll hear a LOT about it. And that comes from a man who flies a LOT of dogs for PnP (he's a retired airline pilot). It reminds me of continuous grumbling about AOPA's inadequacies. Is it true? I have no idea and really don't care because I fly dogs, I don't give PnP money, I simply use their website as a tool to fly dogs. I do it for the dogs.

*There's another doggie rescue operation that I enjoy dealing with far more...thus far anyway...I only found out about them late this year and thus far have only flown a couple of trips for them. That organization is Animal Rescue Flights (ARF). Unlike PnP they DO do all of the coordination. A coordinator is assigned to the trip, that coordinator is a pilot so he/she is more aware of the idiosyncrasies of flying, and they coordinate everything. They do not allow the sending or receiving party to communicate with the pilots, period. And, maybe most importantly, they vet their sending parties to make sure that they are a legitimate NFP. This system also has its shortcomings but it's far superior to PnP's. I think I'll start to migrate more of my efforts to ARF in the coming year.

I also shy away from single dog flights (unless its something like a 150# wolfhound). To each their own but I'm not interested in being a delivery service and only make rescue-to-rescue flights. There is too much demand out of NC and with a limited budget, I try to maximize the effectiveness of every mission.

I fly with the exact opposite attitude. I would much rather fly a dog to an adopting party than fly one from one rescue to another. I find "taking them home" to be far more rewarding. You're right, it's far less efficient, but far more rewarding for me.

Happy New Year all,

Last edited:
....*There's another doggie rescue operation that I enjoy dealing with far more...thus far anyway...I only found out about them late this year and thus far have only flown a couple of trips for them. That organization is Animal Rescue Flights (ARF). Unlike PnP they DO do all of the coordination. A coordinator is assigned to the trip, that coordinator is a pilot so he/she is more aware of the idiosyncrasies of flying, and they coordinate everything. They do not allow the sending or receiving party to communicate with the pilots, period. And, maybe most importantly, they vet their sending parties to make sure that they are a legitimate NFP. This system also has its shortcomings but it's far superior to PnP's. I think I'll start to migrate more of my efforts to ARF in the coming year......Happy New Year all,

Interesting, I'm going to look into this...not because I've had a bad experience with PnP, I've flown 2 PnP missions and both were highly successful.....but just to explore other opportunities. thanks for sharing this.

oh, and happy new year as well!

This is odd ... on my iPhone, Ron's original picture showed up right side up when I clicked it open ... on my Windoze desktop, it stayed rotated. MacMagic ... :)

Metadata buried in the photo. One knows how to read it, one doesn't...

I have a mock checkride with my CFI this thursday (or friday) and after that will be taking my real checkride within the week (weather permitting).

I plan on participating in pilotsnpaws asap.

Unrelated note.. I have a harness for my dog for the backseat. He likely doesnt need it, but its a precaution.

Interesting, I'm going to look into this...not because I've had a bad experience with PnP, I've flown 2 PnP missions and both were highly successful.....but just to explore other opportunities.
Julia and Clark run ARF (Animal Rescue Flights) and are based at 5NC5 outside of Chapel Hill.

I too have made a couple of flights with them. They've been off the radar for a bit but recently started posting flight requests again. As Tim explained, it is a different model and you are isolated from the planning logistics of the trip. Ironically, I've felt somewhat disengaged when making trips with ARF; despite some of the craziness behind PnP requested flights, not having personal contact with the folks behind the rescue as well as those receiving the dogs was not as fulfilling.

Regardless of the organization, I think its great we are using this skill that we share to help others.

Thanks for the flight, Ron, it is great that you help out too.
How was the crate afterwards? So far, I have only flown adult dogs, no pups. My fear is that they would just fill the crate with their incontinence and fling it around. In your experience, how often does that happen?

Back