Hatch Chili Festival - Labor Day Weekend

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Edit: Replace chilli with chile. Not the meat and beans conconction, but the wonderful pepper.

Two events happening near each other.

This is the link for Hatch, NM's annual Chili Chile festival. It takes place at the airport.

http://www.hatchchilefest.com/

In nearby Las Cruces there's a wine festival (remember! - no drinking and flying!)

http://www.nmwine.com/festivals.htm

There is a Colorado Pilots Association contingent flying in for the
festivities. We'll be at Hatch for the day September 2, and fly to Las Cruces in the evening where we will be until Monday.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Would love to, but the plane will probably still be in annual.

LRU is a favorite fuel stop from here. And Hatch Chilies are wonderful.

I'll be there, fo sho! I love me some Chile

Last edited:
Hmmmm, may have to attend one of these........

Green chile is my favorite!

And you promised Eric last year that you were signing up!:D

midlifeflyer said:
It's a Colorado Pilots Association fly-in destination. You mean you're not a member yet?

I've been a CPA member for over a year. Got the email on this fly-in from Terry. :)

Greg, I always keep my promises!

Anthony said:
I've been a CPA member for over a year. Got the email on this fly-in from Terry. :)

I didn't doubt that for one minute!

Darn, we had to cancel due to weather. A couple were ready to go IFR but not enough for the fly in. Haven't talked to Mark, he may have left yesterday.

Anthony said:

And he's going to host a fly in next year. :D

Eric Jensen
CPA Fly In Chairperson

ejensen said:
And he's going to host a fly in next year. :D

Eric Jensen
CPA Fly In Chairperson

Ha! I'd love to. Unfortunately, it may have to be in Lexington, KY as it looks like we'll be moving there, at least temporarily. :(

I wasn't able to make it because I'm stuck trying to move. Good stuff. Hopefully those that go have a good time!

With all the rain and flooding, has anyone checked to see if Hatch still exists?

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Ha! I'd love to. Unfortunately, it may have to be in Lexington, KY as it looks like we'll be moving there, at least temporarily. :(

Lexington can work:)

Seriously, when?

SteveW said:
With all the rain and flooding, has anyone checked to see if Hatch still exists?

Well, it is still here right now, there have been some fairly strong showers through the day here. We had 1.25" here since last night. Hatch flooded again sometime last week, just not as bad as the first time a few weeks ago.
Don

Mark will have to post his adventure. He left Friday for Santa Fe so was gone before we cancelled the fly in. He tried Saturday and didn't get to Hatch or Las Cruces.

While phoning around cancelling things early Saturday several of us didn't want to give up flying. Someone suggested Thermopolis, Wyoming another said what about breakfast in Scottsbluff. And we wanted to go to Grand Junction for fruit and vegetables. So my wife got on the phone and booked the last 6 rooms at the Thermopolis Holiday Inn (Hot Springs) and lunch made the timing better. So....

Six planes and eleven folks flew to Scottsbluff, NE for lunch then west to Thermopolis, WY for dinner, happy hours and a soak. Got up this morning and 4 planes flew to Grand Junction, CO for peaches, apples, pears, sweet corn, etc. Weststar treated us great. Got the crew van for a couple hours. Had 100# of produce in the Mooney. Then home by 1500. Turned out to be a great weekend. We're all thinking of more 'progressive' fly in's.

Wow Eric, that sounds like a great trip!

ejensen said:
Mark will have to post his adventure. He left Friday for Santa Fe so was gone before we cancelled the fly in. He tried Saturday and didn't get to Hatch or Las Cruces.

Six planes and eleven folks flew to Scottsbluff, NE for lunch then west to Thermopolis, WY for dinner, happy hours and a soak. Got up this morning and 4 planes flew to Grand Junction, CO for peaches, apples, pears, sweet corn, etc. Weststar treated us great. Got the crew van for a couple hours. Had 100# of produce in the Mooney. Then home by 1500. Turned out to be a great weekend. We're all thinking of more 'progressive' fly in's.
What a great save. Sorry we missed it.

Here's the adventure:

Janet and I and our guests left in our Comanche on Friday, deciding to take an extra day for the long weekend and avoid the very early Saturday departure. We flew to Santa Fe (a small amount of IMC along the way), stayed at the Hilton had a great diner at El Meson. Our hotel shuttle had us back at SAF Saturday morning at 8:15.

Except for some scattered clouds, the weather at Santa Fe looked good. But even before a formal briefing, a look to the SSW suggested there just might be a problem here and there. A full weather briefing showed 2000-5000' ceilings, a high probability of light precipitation and a decent chance of thunderstorms. Since the ceilings seemed high enough, we decided to go VFR rather than be in the clouds with forecast thunderstorms and no on-board weather avoidance.

Things worked out fairly well. We were ably to fly directly over ABQ at 8500'. As ceilings lowered to the south of ABQ, so did the terrain, and we never had to go lower than 1500 - 2000 AGL.

As I said, things worked out fairly well.

Until...

As we reached Truth or Consequences, we noticed that the route ahead looked darker and more forbidding (foreboding?) than what we had seen so far. Where up until now, we could see the obscured outline of the mountains ahead, now the route ahead was blank. Deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, we landed and T&C. After landing I turned on my cell phone and got Eric's messages about the cancellation. The weather briefing and the WSI radar at the FBO didn't look promising. The light rain has turned into heavier showers and, as we know, when this part of the country gets wet, it does not improve as the day goes on.

The choices were few. Take a chance and push on. Try to get a car and place to stay in T&C. Or turn tail and run back the way we came while we still could.

We decided to retrace our steps back to ABQ. We figured Santa Fe on a holiday weekend would have left slim pickings for a room.

It turned out to be a good decision. The weather held out, the ceilings raised as we headed north and, before we could even communicate with Approach, we could see that ABQ was in sunshine with only scattered clouds. It was windy though - we landed about 1 minute after we received a 20-kt windshear alert and added our own 10-15 Kt report . And tied down with 7Bar (really nice people) who had a Hertz rental available.

We filed IFR and headed home this morning. We needed it. Mountains were obscured and we ended up either in the clouds or between layers crossing from ABQ to the east side of the mountains. Ceilings were 2500-3000 all along our route until just north of Pueblo but it cleared as we got to Colorado Springs.

Radar to the south around Las Cruces looked ugly! BTW, we may have missed the chile festival, but not the wine festival. Albuquerque had one also, up at Bernalillo, and it was a blast! :)

midlifeflyer said:
We decided to retrace our steps back to ABQ. We figured Santa Fe on a holiday weekend would have left slim pickings for a room.

While I was unbelievably busy, you should have called, man! I could have used a beer or a dinner out with some new people to chill out and relax! Next time, we have to get together!
Radar to the south around Las Cruces looked ugly! BTW, we may have missed the chile festival, but not the wine festival. Albuquerque had one also, up at Bernalillo, and it was a blast! :)

There ya go! But how can I fly to Bernalillo? :D

Anthony said:
Wow Eric, that sounds like a great trip!

It was. And the weather was fantastic. Even coming back from GJT in the afternoon. We were the slowest plane though.:mad:

ejensen said:
It was. And the weather was fantastic. Even coming back from GJT in the afternoon. We were the slowest plane though.:mad:
On the other hand, although beautiful and completely smooth, this was probabably a scene best avoided by our VFR pilots.

Attachments

• P9030083_small.jpg
    P9030083_small.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 13
midlifeflyer said:
On the other hand, although beautiful and completely smooth, this was probabably a scene best avoided by our VFR pilots.

Was that on the way home? We think only 4 of the 13 pilots were IFR rated and current.

ejensen said:
Was that on the way home? We think only 4 of the 13 pilots were IFR rated and current.
Yes. We entered IMC at about 10,500 msl leaving ABQ. This shot was at 13,000 msl between just west of SAF until LVS when it started to break up below us.

Last edited:
Anthony said:

Anthony,

As much of a pain as moving is, there are far worse places to live than Lexington, KY. It's really quite nice there, with 15 miles of horse farms between the city and the burbs. The people are super friendly down there too. Hope you can make the best of it. I mean, it's not Wisconsin after all. ;)

flyingcheesehead said:
Anthony,

As much of a pain as moving is, there are far worse places to live than Lexington, KY. It's really quite nice there, with 15 miles of horse farms between the city and the burbs. The people are super friendly down there too. Hope you can make the best of it. I mean, it's not Wisconsin after all. ;)

Thanks Nick. I know, but we really like Colorado. Its always hard to move from anywhere. However, its a beautiful area as you say and the people are very nice. The other choice my company gave me was Manhattan. :rolleyes:

Anthony said:
Thanks Nick. I know, but we really like Colorado. Its always hard to move from anywhere. However, its a beautiful area as you say and the people are very nice. The other choice my company gave me was Manhattan. :rolleyes:

And in the heart of Bourbon country.

Think of it this way: it's a lot closer to Gaston's....

Back