Has Scientific Notation Changed???

And anyone who learned on a slide rule rather than a digital calculator should fully understand this.

Hence my comment about slide rule accuracy in an earlier post. BTW, I still have my Pickett N4-ES double log slide rule and can even remember how to use it (at least, most of it).

Speaking of slide rules, we on Bainbridge (CGN-25) were appalled when the nuggets from nuke skool started showing up with TI-30 scientific calculators! :yikes:

Those nubs didn't even know how to use a slide rule! We wondered how they would even be able to stand Reactor Operator watch!:D

Hence my comment about slide rule accuracy in an earlier post. BTW, I still have my Pickett N4-ES double log slide rule and can even remember how to use it (at least, most of it).
Mine's a Post VersaLog log-log duplex decimal trig slide rule, sitting in the top drawer of my desk. And I think I could put it to full use after just a little bit of review.

Mine's a Post VersaLog log-log duplex decimal trig slide rule, sitting in the top drawer of my desk. And I think I could put it to full use after just a little bit of review.

I've one of those as well, and sitting in the same place. It gives me a warm feeling knowing that it put me through two engineering degrees and that I could still use it.
But AAMOF, i have never used it for anything other than a curiosity since paying a fortune for a HP-45 in 1974, about!

Just remember that slide rules put us on the moon - two significant figures and a guess at the third one... While the improvement in significant digits with computerized tools and calculators may make our work easier (lots), they do not necessarily make our outcomes better...

denny-o who can still use a 10" log-log-antilog

Back