Has anyone seen my rabbit?

Those ain’t rabbit tracks (?), from what I know, but it was live meat/food nonetheless.

This could well be the first documented case of true evolution. A rabbit sprouts wings and flight occurs. That's how I choose to see this and anyone telling me otherwise is not following science.

Wow that is a awesome picture!
When I was a kid we had a large field behind our house and every evening we would see plenty of rabbit grazing out in the open.
Since then they have stopped using DDT and other pesticides and the the birds of prey have made a huge comeback according to a friend of mine who is bird watcher/ counter for the state.

We see plenty of birds of prey now and very few rabbits anymore.

We live in the suburbs and have a larger backyard and took this picture a few years ago of these hawks eating a rabbit on top of this pole. It was raining but they didn't care.
SDC11298.jpg

They would stand there with there wings out in the rain.

SDC11269.jpg

We also have our fair share of deer, these guys are destructive.
IMG_49371.jpg

That's an amazing picture!

Out here in the country we see a lot of mother nature doing its thing. The cats kill the mice (that's their job). Sometimes the coyotes get the cats. Deer go through the yard, and we've seen them get chased out by coyotes from time to time. Last February actually saw a bobcat (feline, not skid steer) walk through our yard during the extremely cold and snowy February we had.

It's great, especially for the kids. I grew up thinking that all trees were planted by humans, and forests were just places where humans got bored and planted a lot of trees. #nyceducation

I have seen deer, cows, horses, donkeys and once chickens chasing coyotes.

As a kid I always thought being a coyote was a pretty tough job...

Probably not what you think it is, grouse tracks and then taking flight. Not enough disruption in the snow for a bird of prey strike. Cool pic though!

spoilsport

Those are not rabbit tracks. They're too messy and the direction isn't right. Rabbit tracks involve less feet dragging and more hopping. Those tracks are from a bird walked from the top of the picture, towards the bottom, and then flew away. There was only one creature involved. No signs of struggle.

Probably not what you think it is, grouse tracks and then taking flight. Not enough disruption in the snow for a bird of prey strike. Cool pic though!

Those are not rabbit tracks. They're too messy and the direction isn't right. Rabbit tracks involve less feet dragging and more hopping. Those tracks are from a bird walked from the top of the picture, towards the bottom, and then flew away. There was only one creature involved. No signs of struggle.

Any coincidence that both of the spoil sports are from Nebraska? ;):D

I think you just have to zoom in a little

rabbit.jpg

I agree, it doesn't look like rabbit tracks. I figured it was some small mammal, the big divot in the snow caused by a weighty bird slamming down on it from above, and the first big wingbeat needed for liftoff making an impression on the snow. Any struggling by the critter took place in the air.

But then, I don't know what the snow print of a grouse taking flight looks like.

I dunno, but if those were not rabbit tracks and actually moose tracks, I don't know about you, but I would be extra scared.

Back