has anyone named thier plane

earl72

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
earl72
my wife named my little cessna 150 (the dirty bird) i dont know what to think about that :confused:

Both of my planes have a name. The 152 is Julie, and the decathlon is Rosy.

My Sundowner was "Skychicken", my V-tail is "Killz" (fully, 7-6-Kill-U, in deference to the absurd reputation of Vtails :) )

No, I did not name my aircraft......

My mechanic did. :-\

100_2871.jpg

This is my airplane at Tan-Tar-A Resort (K15) and before I bought it from my former flying club in 2003, the guys called it "Barney". :rolleyes2:

My granddaughter named mine but I don't remember the name. It was the name of a cat from a Disney movie - "Homeward Bound".

The "putt-putt", named by friends because I always go out to the airport to putter around with the airplane.

The gsxr: "The Suzuki"
The Concours: "The Kawasaki"
The 1200RT: "The BMW"
The Turbo Arrow: "The plane"
The car: "The car"

The 182 I normally fly is called "Whiskers".
The two 152s on the line are Batmobile 1 and Batmobile 2.

Now the 172 I flew today doesn't have a name (yet), but the tail number is N172FU!:hairraise::rofl:

Miss Judy

Actually came named this, lettered on the side of the cowl, and I thought it would be bad juju to change.

my 172 was "Taz" i.e. the Tazmanian Devil. Even had a little Taz art on it.

the 182 is Ms. DueBeUs

Our Pathfinder is "Atlas", cuz he can lift anything.

The Warrior was "Baby", because she was dainty and so nice to land.

The Ercoupe was "Sweetie", cuz, well, she was sweet to fly.

My plane came if not named, then labeled - Super Yankee.
Has become known locally as the Sooooper Yankee.
And, to PoA, as the Sooper Yooper Yankee. (Although I've got some work to do in order to retain this title.:redface:)

Our Glasair was "Kenny" because everytime I had to fold myself up to work on anything under the panel I always said "God, I hate you Kenny" (any SouthPark fans?)

So far, the Bo is just..... the Bo.

My PA28-161 is Cherry

My other vehicles are named too.

1. 2000 BMW M-Roadster = M-Paw
2. 1997 Honda Accord = Bridget Honda
3. 2009 VW TDI Jette = Jaime Lee Jette
4. 2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 = Bonnie

Former cars

1. 1994 Buick Skylark = Pappy
2. 1994 Jeep Cherokee = JJ

My last company had one plane that was officially named. It spent more time in the hangar than any of the rest of the fleet! There was another one that got the nickname "Ditch Witch" after a couple mechanics parked it nose first in a drainage ditch.

Otherwise, all the planes have just had generic names based on their tail numbers.
WQ=Wet Q-tip
NG=New Garbage
CJ=Complete Junk
MJ=Mostly Junk
SR=**** Rocket
HM=Hoochie Mamma
SL=Sugar Lips

None of the "GA" planes I've flown have been named, though.

If we're talking about naming cars...I've never named mine, but wife has had a name for ALL of hers (plus most of her electronics). She almost cried when we sold "Steve," her last car, because she was certain he would be offended.

Last edited:
my wife named my little cessna 150 (the dirty bird) i dont know what to think about that :confused:

she named it because the first time she came to the hanger I was cleaning bugs off the wings :wink2:

Otherwise, all the planes have just had generic names based on their tail numbers.
WQ=Wet Q-tip
NG=New Garbage
CJ=Complete Junk
MJ=Mostly Junk
SR=**** Rocket
HM=Hoochie Mamma
SL=Sugar Lips
We have done the same with some of our airplanes.
TT=Double Trouble
CH=Chicken House
YS=Yankin' Spankin'
MJ=Mary Jane (actually it really stood for Mary Jane)
LJ=Little Jet
PD=Poopy Diaper (it was an air ambulance)

None of the "GA" planes I've flown have been named, though.
The only small GA airplane I have flown that had a nickname was a C-210 we called "Scruffy".

A friend who no longer flies had a Skyhawk in the early 90's named, "The blue bellied money-sucker." ;)

We call our 182 "Double Shot" due to it's WW trailing the tail number.

Yellowbird is Yellowbird. Her name was the winning entry in a contest on the old iPilot web board.

I named my Cherokee Free Bird for obvious reasons. I really wanted to call it Lucky Strike, but I detest cigarettes.

The Rose is La Rosa Ruidosa
The Taylorcraft is just the T-craft, Yellowbird was already taken;)

My plane is too ugly to deserve a name.

Back