Has anyone installed wing landing lights in a Citabria ?

Donny Hughes

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Taildrager
I am getting ready to recover my 7ECA an I would like to ad double bulb lighting in each wing .
My reasoning for the double light is I can set one for landing than when the tail comes down the other can be set for ground operations

Yes I had seen that list of STC's . I did not see one . This may start some controversy but a leading edge from one Aircraft to another are very much the same . What if I took some light sets out a 172 for example with the approval of my I.A. and do a 337 . Would it be considered a minor repair ?

Last edited:
That question is wrong on so many levels.

It would be an alteration, not a repair.

It would be major, not minor.

You would need approved data and about the only way you’d get that is with a STC. I do not see an ASI signing off on a field approval.

You would need a 337 as it is major. However if it was minor as you suggest, a 337 would not be required.

It’s IA, not AI.

You need professional help.

but a leading edge from one Aircraft to another are very much the same
Not even close.
Some rely on a "d" cell using the leading edge skin for torsional rigidity. The 172 has a metal skin all over which reduces the impact of a hole in the leading edge. The Citabria may or may not have the leading edge attached to the spar (aluminum vs. wood spar) - but the structural impact of a hole is going to be different than a 172.

Grimes retractable landing light?

All of this makes sense to me that was the kind of guidance I was looking for . In particularly the part about needing professional help . LOL I have always been a little off but people are for the most part kind and do not say any thing .

Talk to American Champion. They are installing leading edge landing lights on some newer models, and I believe there is a way to do them as a retrofit. There was a conversation about this on the Citabria owners Facebook group a while back.

I spoke with American Champion this morning they supposed send me something that I can give to my A&P so he can ad it to the quote for labor . They offered a mechanical drawings for 40.00 dollars so all is not lost there is still hope . I was kind of in hopes that someone here has already been there and done that .

Last edited:
Back