Has anyone here flown Iberia Airlines?

They are fine and as good as any of the other Euro carriers. They are a One World member with AA and IMHO rank higher than BA, Alitalia, and United when it comes to service.

Where are you taking them to?

I am going to try and get booked on them to Madrid then to Malaga next month. But I may have to do UAL to Paris and then Iberia to Malaga

Lisbon, Portugal.

If you think they are good I'll go with them then. They are 100 bucks cheaper than Continental. thanks for the input!

Personally, I might take Continental before Iberia, especially in coach. My recollection is that the seat pitch is tighter on Iberia.... feels more cramped... and they'd probably be flying a Scarebus as opposed to Boeing. BUT, that may be plane dependent, and Continental does fly 757's to some European cities... I'd take a 2-aisle Airbus over the single aisle 757.

My experience with Iberia is a mixed bag in terms of service, but that's very dependent on the crew. Continental has one of the best track records for service in the US (especially in Business/First). Iberia, like most European airlines, coddles the First/Business passengers with a seriously less level of service in Coach. Folks I know have had seating issues with Iberia, especially on code-share flights.

Of the European carriers, I'd place Iberia below Air France, KLM, Swiss, Virgin and SAS, on-par with BA and Sabena, and above Alitalia. But that's personal opinion.

One other factor or non-factor. If you have an AmEx Platinum Card (and you're flying coach), you get access to Continental's President's Club lounges. Otherwise, lounge access is for First/business passengers (or by membership) only.

I checked Expedia again and Continental gets into Lisbon early in the morning - KLM is mid-afternoon and Iberia is 930AM - but Iberia has a better flight back (timing wise). Maybe I'll mix it up.

thanks for the insights.

Never flown Iberia, but IME, most of the flagged-euro zone carriers have tigher seats in coach but better food. (Samples include Alitalia, Lufthansa, Air France and BA). Upper-class (biz/first) are better than American carriers, with generally better seats (especially true on transat AA 777s, biz really sucks on them).

Cheers,

-Andrew

I checked Expedia again and Continental gets into Lisbon early in the morning - KLM is mid-afternoon and Iberia is 930AM - but Iberia has a better flight back (timing wise). Maybe I'll mix it up.

thanks for the insights.
Only do that if you want the for sure random 3-times repeat going over by TSA. I kid you not.

Only do that if you want the for sure random 3-times repeat going over by TSA. I kid you not.
IME, your experience was not related to the mixed airline ticketing. I fly mixed airline trips quite frequently and have yet to get "special" service from TSA; my average overseas trip will have 6-10 airlines involved.

As to the original question: Iberia is okay, not stellar, no bad, just okay. I'd take Iberia over Continental any day, but then again, I don't set foot on Continental unless someone is using a gun for persuasion.

IME, your experience was not related to the mixed airline ticketing. I fly mixed airline trips quite frequently and have yet to get "special" service from TSA; my average overseas trip will have 6-10 airlines involved.

As to the original question: Iberia is okay, not stellar, no bad, just okay. I'd take Iberia over Continental any day, but then again, I don't set foot on Continental unless someone is using a gun for persuasion.

Have to agree with Ed on this one. I fly mixed tickets a lot too and have never qualified for special treatment. Must be something else in your background that made them suspicious Bruce ;)

Have to agree with Ed on this one. I fly mixed tickets a lot too and have never qualified for special treatment. Must be something else in your background that made them suspicious Bruce ;)

Thirded. My last... 4 trips internationally and last 3 domestically have been mixed and I haven't had a single issue.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thirded. My last... 4 trips internationally and last 3 domestically have been mixed and I haven't had a single issue.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Three airlines on a trip through SE Asia in June. Nothing special in the way I was treated by TSA.

Three airlines (if you count Air Canada Jazz and Air Canada as two airlines) on this trip. Nothing special, either.

Back